W5 Heads & 340s

-

ChargedDart75

Reaction score
I was rummaging around in the shop today (trying to clean and straigten it up) and I noticed one of the W5 heads out of the bag. They really need to be pulled apart and cleaned. My Dad purchased these heads with springs, retainers, locks, valves, and Jessel rockers and shafts with a matching Victor 340 for next to nothing.
20200906_165926.jpg
20200906_170028.jpg
20200906_170050.jpg
20200906_170215.jpg
20200906_170426.jpg
20200906_170434.jpg

These came off a dirt late model and were being used as spares since the guy built a new engine. I don't remember who did them but I could find out. I think it would be beneficial to have them flowed as well. I wanted to purchase them off of my Dad, but he wouldn't sell them to me. I'm not sure why since he was a big block guy. He also purchased 2 340s and a 360. One 340 is standard bore and a '70 or '71, and the other is a '73 or '74 that is .060" over bore. It needs to be sonice checked before it's used.
20200906_170450.jpg
The bores are dirty, but it was fogged before it was stored. They wipe clean. I think it would make an strong street stroker for his Valiant (barring it checks out usable). The other 340 might make a fun turbo engine, but I'm not sure. The 360 or my 5.9 Magnum might be used for that with the W5 heads. Or maybe a N/A small block will have the W5s. I know he would have enjoyed them either way. Things like this make me miss him. Plans to ponder.

Are you going to use the W5's & intake, or are you going to sell them?

Okay, I was just checking. If you decide to sell them, keep me in mind.

Wow! I so totally missed this thread. There are a couple of “Ex-W5 racers” here on the board.

Those are my next purchase.
IDK the difference between the Jesel & the TD. At a glance, they appear the same.

Before you use the heads make DAMN sure you pressure test them thoroughly. I used to test mine at 60 psi to make damn sure nothing opened up and that was the best test I could come up with.

Hard to tell how much port work has been done to them, but the more porting the more prone they are to opening up. I should have seen opine to be reheat treated and then had them cryo’d to help them.

Before you use the heads make DAMN sure you pressure test them thoroughly. I used to test mine at 60 psi to make damn sure nothing opened up and that was the best test I could come up with.

Hard to tell how much port work has been done to them, but the more porting the more prone they are to opening up. I should have seen opine to be reheat treated and then had them cryo’d to help them.
I plan on sending them out to have them checked. They did come off a running engine, but that doesn't mean much. I wanted to have them flow checked as well, just to see what kind of porting job was done on them. I can't remember who did them though.

I'm not sure either, other than I believe both are a great choice and a nice rocker setup.

the Jesels i had on my W5’s were not shaft mount. They actually required machining the head down. They bolted to the head.
Best machine did the machining. This was back in 2005 or so.
The resulting geometry was incredible for a 59 degree 700 lift deal. Chuck at Best was very impressed
Those rockers saw 7500 every pass. They are still being used today but on a different set of W5’s( originals became sprinklers) like many of them do.
Cant say as i know of anybody else besides me who ran them. But they are flawless. Bulletproof

the Jesels i had on my W5’s were not shaft mount. They actually required machining the head down. They bolted to the head.
Best machine did the machining. This was back in 2005 or so.
The resulting geometry was incredible for a 59 degree 700 lift deal. Chuck at Best was very impressed
Those rockers saw 7500 every pass. They are still being used today but on a different set of W5’s( originals became sprinklers) like many of them do.
Cant say as i know of anybody else besides me who ran them. But they are flawless. Bulletproof
These actually are shaft mounted rockers if I'm not mistaken. It's been a few years since I've looked at them honestly.

These actually are shaft mounted rockers if I'm not mistaken. It's been a few years since I've looked at them honestly.

i doubt they are. Mine were the jesel sportsman rockers for W2/W5.. the cheapest ones( no Jesel’s are cheap..lol)
I doubt the professional series would be shaft mount, when even the more budget friendly ones were not
Might be wrong..but.... i ran them for years, most definately not cheap, and not shaft mount

i doubt they are. Mine were the jesel sportsman rockers for W2/W5.. the cheapest ones( no Jesel’s are cheap..lol)
I doubt the professional series would be shaft mount, when even the more budget friendly ones were not
Might be wrong..but.... i ran them for years, most definately not cheap, and not shaft mount
I may pull them out tomorrow and see. I honestly don't remember.

The Jesel and T&D for the W2 race head (milled pedestals for use of blocks to support the shaft) are typically pairs of rockers on a shaft that are bolted to a mounting plate. 4 pairs per head.

I have used both Jesel and T&D. Both are high quality. The T&D are pressurized oiling to the bearings, adjuster and roller tip from the pushrod.

The Jesel I had were pushrod oiled but the adjusters were hollow and sprayed oil up to the valve cover which showered down to oil the rockers, valve tips and valve springs.

T&D W2/W5 for the milled pedestals version pictured.

AD3A490D-200B-4376-B6BC-F6B1DA1E0DAB.jpeg
342014FA-6A1E-47C2-A590-73FA9CEA290A.jpeg
E22E9598-14E5-444D-B33B-438262F8C153.jpeg

Last edited:
It depends which T&D you have. You can get T&D rockers that use the OE shaft system. The ONLY way I’d do that is if the rockers are bushed. If T&D wont Bush the rockers then is use their shaft system and not the OE style.

The Jesel and T&D for the W2 race head (milled pedestals for use of blocks to support the shaft) are typically pairs of rockers on a shaft that are bolted to a mounting plate. 4 pairs per head.

I have used both Jesel and T&D. Both are high quality. The T&D are pressurized oiling to the bearings, adjuster and roller tip from the pushrod.

The Jesel I had were pushrod oiled but the adjusters were hollow and sprayed oil up to the valve cover which showered down to oil the rockers, valve tips and valve springs.

T&D W2/W5 for the milled pedestals version pictured.

View attachment 1715688775 View attachment 1715688776 View attachment 1715688777
I swear I don't think they look like that. Didn't have a chance to get to them today. Too much other crap going on.

-
Back