wai wpm380 wiper motor

-

mikec

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am installing new style wiper motor wpm380 2 speed , bolts up fine has 4 prong plug like factory, no directions of course , has anyone hooked one of these up? old wiper motor was missing, factory manual show a ballast resistor mounted and wired in harness for low speed operation. is the ballast needed for new motor? . called year one , no info, called wai, haven't heard back, advance ,parts geek no info available. just don't want to let the smoke out. Thanks for any info

More than likely yes. The ballast resistor is what makes the motor run at low speed. The high speed circuit bypasses the ballast resistor you wire up the 4 prong plug and dont wire up the ballast, low just wont turn on.

Thanks moparmat, going to try it out, will have to find a ballast resistor and power it . never heard from manufacturer, or the suppliers. even year one had no info and they sell it as a direct replacement. kind of sad suppliers don't know their products anymore.

Probably because it's not any different than the OEM motor in that regard as far as wiring goes, so there's no need. It's a plug n play direct replacement. You reuse your plug in wiring and your ballast. If I had to guess theres probably a hole in the motor casing in a similar spot as the OEM specifically for you to mount the ballast resistor bracket.

I got a wiring diagram from Wai tech support no symbols for resister but going to test it out
B10812CA-3413-4D76-956F-C5F9DAB1F077.jpeg

I powered up wiper motor high speed and park work fine, i made jumper wire for where ballast would be . Motor works at slower speed without ballast and seemed fine .I don't think you need ballast for new style motor

Probably not. However you can put a hollowed out ballast in there but with a regular jumper wire inside the ballast so it appears stock.

Thats a good idea for the ballast. The motor is a little smaller in diameter. But would stock
A744F379-8C4A-4E6B-8145-CE118796BDFA.jpeg
A9BCCC05-44F2-4237-BDF7-FADABC4EA9A2.jpeg

Hey mikec, I'm trying to wire this very motor to my 75 swinger, would you happen to know which terminal control what on this motor, I can't find any info on this, tia

-
Back