Not open for further replies.

eekvonzipper

My Member is Legendary!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Contact seller
Had to Sawz-All Thru the Upper-Ball Joint last night to get the Front-end out.
Pickle Fork was just Marring the Surface, Tried Heat... No Avail.
Put the Spindle in a Press today and tried Heat again... No Bueno.
Replace the Good Spindle with a Frozen Stud in it?
I guess I have no choice.

1965 Barracuda Drivers-Side w/ Drum Brakes

Please Help!

spindle.jpg

Disregard!
My Neighbor w/Less Brains and More Nerves than I got the piece out with the Shop Press!
It Sounded like the Press Broke in Half when everything hit the Floor but the little piece of Ball Joint was laying there in the middle of it all.
Shop Press Wins Again, and Lives to Tell Another Tale! Lucky Me!!!

done.jpg

That is what happens when you over tighten the ball joint nut, Get the shop manual and use the torque specs. Torque, the tighten till the slot in nut lines up with the hole and put in the cotter pin.

I will tell you how to overcome that in the future. With the ball joint nut loose, but not off, take the spindle and turn it all the way to the rear. Now, take a large ball peen hammer and strike the spindle on the side of the hole where the ball joint goes through, HARD. This momentarily elongates the hole and causes the ball joint to let loose. Every. Single. Time. Without fail.

I will tell you how to overcome that in the future. With the ball joint nut loose, but not off, take the spindle and turn it all the way to the rear. Now, take a large ball peen hammer and strike the spindle on the side of the hole where the ball joint goes through, HARD. This momentarily elongates the hole and causes the ball joint to let loose. Every. Single. Time. Without fail.
That is the way I've done it since Moby Dick was a minnow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back