WANTED: Slant six Holley 1 brl carb (Preferably 1920 model)

-

75Brougham

75Brougham
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 225 6 in my Valiant and I've had numerous issues with the carb since I bought the engine, but everything else operates smoothly, no mechanical problems at all. Anyway, this is my daily driver and if I were to rebuild my current carb I'd be without transportation for however long. I'm looking for a decently priced single barrel to throw on while I rebuild (or one I can rebuild while I nurse the current one). Any help would be greatl appreciated!

I recommend against another Holley 1920, unless it is guaranteed good. My 1969 slant always idled rough, wanting to die when leaving a stop light, despite going thru store-bought rebuilt carbs, plus trying to rebuild myself. A 4th carb finally made it run perfect (after 18 yrs, rebuilt blocks & heads, finally a rebuilt long-block). You can't inspect the sealed metering block in the 1920. Some guys here say they now how to blow them out w/ air. Several mechanics looked at my engine, saying "bad valves", etc, but just took my money and never fixed it.

Anyway, this is my daily driver and if I were to rebuild my current carb I'd be without transportation for however long.

A couple of hours? If that.

Have the kit, some cleaner, compressed air is a plus to blow out the passages.

Pull it off and rebuild it and put it right back on.

I agree with bill I have a 1920 got rebuilt and from a stop I had to feather the gas just so it didn't wanna die on acceleration. Dustin

I haven't been impressed with my 1945 model but that could be just because the previous owner really didn't take care of anything on the car. It probably isn't the model of the carb, it's probably my specific carb that's giving me issues. I'd be happy with a decent 1945 if it operates better than my old one. I've never rebuilt a carburetor before, so that's why I account for extra time during rebuild. In case I **** up haha

My 1920 re-built fine the first time.

But I would stick with the 1945 if I were you. In that way, you have a back-up for the future. Sorry I don't have one for you. A good operating one for cheap will likely come from someone doing a swap out.

I've got a Holley 1920 cable operated carb that worked when pulled off A few years ago I'd sell for 40$ plus ride. Dustin

From my recent experience, I'd go with a Carter BBS or a Holley 1945. My 1920 leaked fuel all over the intake manifold. If you're gonna stick with the 1920 make sure the mating surfaces of the float bowl and carburetor body are not warped and clean as a whistle. The gaskets for the bowls are a one shot job, if you reuse them they're most likely going to leak.

I do like the simplicity of the design, its real easy to rebuild. DO NOT buy a parts store 1920.

Best,

1970Dart198

I removed the 1920 from my '73 Valiant and rebuilt and installed a 1945 from an '84 van. Runs GREAT. I wouldn't ever go back to a 1920 under any circumstance.

The early 1945's were jetted too lean and never really ran right, but they improved dramatically as time went on.

Here's a suggestion: get on ebay and search up a good complete core 1945 from about 1978-1984. Buy it and rebuild it, then swap it on. DON'T buy a parts store carburetor and don't buy one for Lean Burn. Good luck.

A couple of hours? If that.

Have the kit, some cleaner, compressed air is a plus to blow out the passages.

Pull it off and rebuild it and put it right back on.

Yeah...people these days don't know what it was like to HAVE to fix a car in a couple hours. That's a very easy carb to rebuild. It doesn't even have to be soaked.

Was that off of an early or late A?
Dartsun can answer exactly, but I'll jump in and say that a cable-operated slant carb should be 1966+, but there were other varieties for later emissions, like the bowl vent tube, extra vacuum ports, etc. Generally, you can use a later carb by blocking off unneeded ports, but not vice-versa.

Of course, those w/ 1965- cars, a rotating rod throttle input is factory. But, one can install a throttle cable in 1964-65 cars since the V-8 cars used that, but would need the now-rare pedal and cable assembly. I saw a 1963 Dart in the junkyard w/ a throttle and cable from something much later (1990's?) cobbled in. There is also Lokar after-market.

-
Back