Wanting info on a 904 swap from a a833

-

amcervantes

Reaction score
Its coming to that point in time where the body work on my car is almost done and am starting to focus on the engine and transmission. I have a 72 swinger with a 318 magnum efi running megasquirt and a A833 and 8 3/4 reareand. Transmission needs a clutch but I dont even think I have it in me anymore to row a gearbox. So im looking for someone to point me in the right direction on swapping in a 904. I know im going to need the transmission, flexplate, torque converter, auto valve body, and oil cooler. Is there a write up to do this and where I can refrence the parts that will work with my magnum engine. Ive been looking at parts on summit just wondering what works with this setup.
Thanks

depends on the year of magnum, I put a 904 behind a 92 magnum and I used the magnum torque converter and notched the bell housing for the sensor for the tone ring. the valve body will already be in the trans.

I'd look for a early/mid 70's 904 unless buying a rebuilt. Those don't have the lockup converter of the 80's. That will allow you to get a normal hi-stall converter for the 318.

Edit: Never run a magnum but I assume they bolt up the same. Could certainly be wrong there.

from what Ive read the lengths are the same if not close. I know the drive shaft was already shortened when the a833 was installed with the 8 3/4 rearend. Guess Ill find out when I start putting it back together.

-
Back