War of the roller lifters...

-

gagembassett

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So as flat tappet cams usually receive a negative connotation these days, most are making the switch to roller setups. My question is what does everyone have for input on brands they like for hydraulic or solid roller lifters? Beings that I use to be a flat tappet guy and am only JUST getting into roller setups the factory hydraulics seem to actually be pretty durable for getting beat on but maybe everyone has other preferences?

My only opinion on the subject is this. Since you have to have adjustable rockers to go hydraulic roller, there's absolutely zero reason not to go solid roller. They make more power everywhere.

if you have a block suitable for the oem hydraulic roller lifter then these are a good and cheap option (magnum or LA roller block). I did not find their limit up til now, 6800 rpm with a 250° / .620" lift cam (1.6 Rockers). Possibly a solid roller would make more power, but for a street / strip toy i like the hydraulic rollers.

Michael

BAM solid rollers for me. I’m done with hydraulic anything.

D4FDB53A-2D23-4CD4-9388-0868033377E1.jpeg

if you have a block suitable for the oem hydraulic roller lifter then these are a good and cheap option (magnum or LA roller block). I did not find their limit up til now, 6800 rpm with a 250° / .620" lift cam (1.6 Rockers). Possibly a solid roller would make more power, but for a street / strip toy i like the hydraulic rollers.

MichaEl

Michael

Thanks for this, of corse various factors at play. I was always curious of the limits of those lifters, I don't believe I've spun mine past 6300 maybe 6400.

Using these, they drop right in to an early Magnum block no clearance issues. Pressure-fed axle oiling. Agree with RRR on zero reasons not to go solid.

B53F833E-465E-47D8-B6EF-5BC95A371CDE.png

E7256ED4-2665-4CAA-8E22-7E9407E5E78A.jpeg

Crower makes a nice solid roller too. .812 wheel and pressure fed axles.

Made in the USA

6337H-16. $920
Lifters

Last edited:
So as flat tappet cams usually receive a negative connotation these days, most are making the switch to roller setups. My question is what does everyone have for input on brands they like for hydraulic or solid roller lifters? Beings that I use to be a flat tappet guy and am only JUST getting into roller setups the factory hydraulics seem to actually be pretty durable for getting beat on but maybe everyone has other preferences?
Hyd flats (offshore) lifters seem to be the issue solid flat tappets still can perform intended purpose , just spend the money and buy from trusted US source.

-
Back