Warped hood fix...........

-

SS23MOPAR

Reaction score
Bought a real clean GTS hood but unfortuneatly it was sand blasted on the underside and it warped the top. The top was not blasted...... and the warping is between the braces. (Looking at the topside, its cupped)......Can this be repaired without filling it with bondo? I was looking at a shrinking disc.........would this do the job? Thanks in advance!

A person that was good with a torch might be able to pull it somewhat back into place but there would still be filler involved.
And I'm not talking about anybody that can light a torch as it would need to be someone who knows metal expansion and contraction properties.
Sorry to say this, but the blasting heating the metal like it did ruined the hood.

Just my opinion though.

Bought a real clean GTS hood but unfortuneatly it was sand blasted on the underside and it warped the top. The top was not blasted...... and the warping is between the braces. (Looking at the topside, its cupped)......Can this be repaired without filling it with bondo? I was looking at a shrinking disc.........would this do the job? Thanks in advance!

Find a new hood. The kind of guy that you would need to repair the hood correctly would charge more than the price of another hood.

The process is to gently heat the metal over a wide area and then quench it with a wet rag. Needs to be repeated over and over and filler will still likely be needed.

The warping can be taken out, but it would be best left to an old time pro. Some who knows all the ins and out of stretching and shrinking metal without losing its temper. As mentioned earlier, it will probably cost you an arm and a leg so it might be better off buying another hood.

If you find a new hood, I'd be interested in the GTS "bumps", if you'd be interested in cutting them out and selling them.
Always thought they would look good on a 66/67 Coronet/Charger hood.

I looked it over a little today and most of it looks very workable but there are a couple places that are a little worse off..... I hear what you guys are saying about old school talent being needed here and I've got someone in mind for this. Thanks for all the input guys!

We look right at the hood on these old cars so body work on them is very difficult to hide thus expensive. Even when it looks good on sawhorses in lack luster primer, gloss paint will tell all from the drivers seat. I imagine I would give it the ol college try with a shrinking disc but I couldn't pay someone else to try to fix it.
The only body man I know personally who probably could fix it would refuse the attempt. He would say "Find another hood".

-
Back