Was A/C ever an option on 340 six Pack cars?

-
Yes fellow Gold member, apparently I’m very stupid. Thanks for your help.

The correct answer is No because there isn't enough room for the V twin compressor and the 6 pack bowls, & it hits the air cleaner, That's why.

I saw a 71 barracuda at Mecum last year. It was a 440 factory ac car that had a six pack added. Fit nicely except the air cleaner was notched slightly.

Apparently, you pay money to be a Gold Member but receive condescending remarks from the staff. I ask questions because I don’t know. I look for advice and recommendations, not demeaning replies. I will not be renewing my membership. These kind of replies I can get anywhere for free.
There were NO condescending remarks made. The "6 pac cam" comment thru us a curve. A cam shaft has nothing to do with your question.

I kept asking questions because I didn't understand which direction you were going. After reading your post #6 it started to make sense. Your title question was answered in post #2 and your 440-6 question was answered in Post #5.

No it was never offered on a 340 6 Pack from the Factory. But it can be done. I have some experience on the subject.

IMG_25071 (1).jpg

For the record, if it helps at all......

Their are no stupid questions.

Stoopid answers are littered all over the internet though...........

Don't be confused, I'm trying to tell you what I currently have in my engine with the A/C package.
Do you have three 2 barrel holley carbs on an intake manifold on that engine with a big ole oval air cleaner? If you just have a single 4bbl carb on that engine, and don't intend to swap to the other intake mentioned above. Just hang an A/C on the damn thing. If you got the triple deuce setup, notch the cleaner base and hang an A/C on the damn thing. A "six pack camshaft" being its inside the engine, doesnt have absolutely anything to do with putting an A/C compressor on the outside of the engine. Sounded like a trick question to me.

The reason I'm asking is. I have a 1967 Barracuda Fastback that currently has a 360 with a 6 pack cam, and the original owner installed Classic Air A/C. I'm building a 360 / 410 Stroker motor and I'm debating whether its worth it to adapt the A/C to the new engine or pull it out. I've seen one pic of a 70 Challenger on line a small block six pack car with A/C. Not looking for originality, looking for functionality.

There were NO condescending remarks made. The "6 pac cam" comment thru us a curve. A cam shaft has nothing to do with your question.

There is no such thing as a "six pack cam"...
Toke.gif

The 340 six packs came with the standard 340 4 bbl 268°/276°/44° .429"/.444" cam...

But the 440 six pack cam was special, it was different.

No it wasn't... The 440 6 pack cam was also the same as the high performance 440 4 bbl cam.... Which is the same cam as the high performance 383 4 bbl cam...

Here's the camshaft specifications from the 70 Plymouth service manual:

70 BB Cam B02.jpg

Unless you're talking about putting a big block cam in a small block, which wouldn't fit....

The 6 pack engines got the same camshaft as the counter part 4 bbl cams for that same engine size... Whether it be a small block which took the same cam as the 340 4 bbl or the big block which took the same cam as the 383 and 440 4 bbl HP cam....

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SIX PACK CAM....

But the 440 six pack cam was special, it was different.

The only way it was different is that it was ground as a low taper design to be lower friction than the standard Commando camshaft. It had the same specs, though.

For the record, if it helps at all......

Their are no stupid questions.

Stoopid answers are littered all over the internet though...........
Sorry, man...
You are known to be a nice and polite guy but you are wrong on this.
There are a LOT of stupid questions that get asked every day. If the person asking the question is humble and admits their limited knowledge, I think that most people give them a pass and are helpful. If the person is touchy, rude or just plain stubborn, he will likely encounter people that react to that.
I had it happen yesterday at FBBO. A guy posted a WTB for a 318 intake but didn't state A or LA, new or used, iron or aluminum, stock or aftermarket so I suggested he check with Summit or Jegs. He instantly got all defensive and started the name calling. WTF? You had 2 posts on the forum and want to start off by being an asshole? Really?

BTW, I think the OP has left the building.

As far as a "six pack cam" goes I had no idea one way or the other weather or not such an animal existed. Nor did I care since his original question was about hanging a compressor on the engine which would have nothing to do with a camshaft anyway. Snipe hunt anyone??

Last edited:
The only way it was different is that it was ground as a low taper design to be lower friction than the standard Commando camshaft. It had the same specs, though.

Exactly, plus it was a 3 bolt instead of a 1 bolt sprocket.
I said it was different but not in what way. So there you go.

Exactly, plus it was a 3 bolt instead of a 1 bolt sprocket.
I said it was different but not in what way. So there you go.

I had forgotten about that, but that's correct, too. Thanks. I'm not sure doing the low taper thing actually helped, but the entire A12 package was hard to deny. Those cars hauled butt. So, maybe it contributed something. Who knows?

-
Back