water pump pulley question

-

Richie

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I just was wondering if you can buy smaller water pump pulleys so the rpm's aren't so low at idle. The fan in my car goes around like an old Dutch windmill at traffic lights and things get toasty

The smaller pulleys are for AC cars and are at a different height. You would have alignment issues.

Larger crank pulley would do the same thing, if there is room. What year is your car/engine? Pulleys changes in 70 on small blocks, not sure on /6 or B/RB.

Larger crank pulley would do the same thing, if there is room. What year is your car/engine? Pulleys changes in 70 on small blocks, not sure on /6 or B/RB.
I was thinking about that too...but I think I'll skip that and do what I should have done and get a shroud made and if that doesn't help maybe get an electric fan. It's great going down the road but as soon as you stop it gets bad. I should watch at the next car show when someone starts one up and see how fast they turn

51445023629_eafe3aaa31_b.jpg

1970 340 in a 69 Dart
Anti pump-Up lifters
Ground and drilled rods
Speed pro forged pistons
ported 2.02 J heads
Comp Cam 488/491
750 Holley mechanical secondaries
Edelbrock Airgap intake
Doug’s Ceramic Headers
Super 44 Flow Masters
Exhaust 2 1/2"
727 with 2200 –2400 converter
8 3/4 Dif with 3.55 Eaton trutrac
HP haven't a clue

Last edited:
My 69 has a 73 340. I went to a Cold Case Rad and I made a 70-up shroud fit that. It helped a lot.

My 69 has a 73 340. I went to a Cold Case Rad and I made a 70-up shroud fit that. It helped a lot.
Have the same sort of deal with a Northern radiator. I'm sure a shroud would held a lot though so I'll do that. Then the fan will be able to suck some air through.

Cross Flow? Might be able to get a Contour or HHR electric fan to work with it. Most aftermarket electric fans don't flow enough air let alone fit.

Cross Flow? Might be able to get a Contour or HHR electric fan to work with it. Most aftermarket electric fans don't flow enough air let alone fit.
Asked the crossflow question before and I've looked for a pic of one in an A-Body and none have them for an after market rad so after what I was told it doesn't sound like a good idea at all to try one

I have a aluminum homemade shroud. If you give me the dimensions of your core I’ll see if it will work.

I just was wondering if you can buy smaller water pump pulleys so the rpm's aren't so low at idle. The fan in my car goes around like an old Dutch windmill at traffic lights and things get toasty

Post the diameters of your existing pulleys

The temperatures are you recording, where and how are you getting this info??

When you sit in traffic does the temperature just keep rising or does it level off at some point?

Does the car boilover?

Have you always had this problem?

What is your initial timing?

Is your mixture rich or lean at idle?

When was the last time you flushed your cooling system?

When the water pump was replaced last was it a HP/AC Water pump?

What temp is your thermostat?

I know it seams like a lot of questions but any or many of the answers might shed some light.

A PROPERLY designed OEM style shroud might be all you need.

Or

you might not need anything as the high temp might not be out of the normal range of your engine

The engine is bran new and no blower you can see the engine in the pic above thermostat is a 180 pretty sure..I'll get back to you with the other stuff

Hi everybody

old kimmer has a few for sale right now, .

The engine is bran new and no blower you can see the engine in the pic above thermostat is a 180 pretty sure..I'll get back to you with the other stuff
I do overdrive the water pump on my 340 with a factory A/C pulley setup.
Also have a Milodon High Flow 160* T stat with a Griffin radiator and a factory fan shroud. Engine rarely gets above 180* with the A/C on.

By this picture I guess you can see that there's no way it's going to suck any air back at idle

51445023629_eafe3aaa31_b.jpg

I do overdrive the water pump on my 340 with a factory A/C pulley setup.
Also have a Milodon High Flow 160* T stat with a Griffin radiator and a factory fan shroud. Engine rarely gets above 180* with the A/C on.

Do you happen to have a photo of that pulley set-up? I've been trying locate a set of overdrive pulley myself. Thank you!

-
Back