Water pump with a freeze plug

-

kielbasavw

Reaction score
Hello. Just picked up a gates 43026p water pump (passenger side hose) for my 66 a100. It's a 8 blade with cavitation plate. I noticed it had a freeze plug in it. The stock picture doesn't show a freeze plug. Seems like every water pump has a hole in the shaft housing instead of this freeze plug. Any ideas

20170510_095559.jpg

Last edited:
Look carefully,and see the weep slot. It looks to be there in the shadows
My guess is the pump is a universal design, and they just plugged an ugly hole to make it look nice.Or that hole could have been a pilot locator for some other procedure, like drilling all the mounting holes at one time;IDK.
Anti-cav plate equals a good thing

Via phone from water pump division manager of Gates. It's called a weep chamber. Supposedly water pumps will always leak a little passed the seals to lubricate and cool. Instead of the coolant dripping it collects in the chamber and evaporates as motor heats up.
Strange I've never seen a brand new pump leak. But if that's the way it's suppose to work. Ok.

Well I'm not sure that's a good idea. Coolant being about 50% non-water, When it evaporates it leaves behind a green oily sludge which will soon plug the chamber, and then........over the top it comes, until it finally plugs that too,I suppose.
My water pump has not wept since I put it on in 2004. In fact no new pump I ever put on wept.
I think Gates is dazzling you/us with the fact that theirs weeps! I mean they even admitted it, right?
I will not ever be buying a Gates then.

Oh,Gee
I forgot I'm running a 7psi cap, and have since forever, so your results may vary,lol.

From flow koolers website
Does a drip from the weep hole mean seal or pump failure?
Perhaps. Seals will drip as the seal lap in but to understand a more prolonged or intermittent “drip” you have to understand a seal’s design. Seals purposefully drip because capillary action draws fluid from the seal face. As the seal drips, it helps wash loose debris out and reduce the heat load. Most drips evaporate or fall on the road and are not noticed.
Naturally, a more pronounced drip indicates a compromised seal and impending bearing failure.

Seals-and-Weep-holes1.jpg

Well I'm not sure that's a good idea. Coolant being about 50% non-water, When it evaporates it leaves behind a green oily sludge which will soon plug the chamber, and then........over the top it comes, until it finally plugs that too,I suppose.
My water pump has not wept since I put it on in 2004. In fact no new pump I ever put on wept.
I think Gates is dazzling you/us with the fact that theirs weeps! I mean they even admitted it, right?
I will not ever be buying a Gates then.

Oh,Gee
I forgot I'm running a 7psi cap, and have since forever, so your results may vary,lol.
LOL, I`ve never had one cry either ! --Why the 7 pound cap ?

-
Back