Water Pump

-

MassDart

Lifelong Dart fan
Reaction score
As I'm getting near wrapping up my Magnum build for my 67 Dart, I need a water pump. My car has AC and I'd like to keep it. I also have the driver side inlet on the pump. I can't seem to find any water pump that says "with A/C".

Failing finding one for an A/C car, can I use this one? It says higher volume, so I'm assuming less vanes and with my pulley, it should move the water, but I'd like to hear thoughts....

MD16251 - 1960-69 Mopar 273 / 318 / 340 / 360 Small Block V8 Milodon High Volume Steel Water Pump

Thanks!

I was under the impression that with a/c and the smaller pulley, more vanes would cause cavitation at the speed the pulley rotates the pump at. Perhaps the design of the FK pumps prevents cavitation.....

not an engineer but a smaller pully increases water pump shaft speed but I'm sure the vane design (spiral vanes /pushing water vs paddles/slapping water) / backing plate and clearances eliminate cavitation... The coolant itself is also a factor. ie thermo clutch/fan /shroud/radiator... Just dumping the 50 yr old 340 fan clutch and installing a hayden HD 90 % fan clutch made a HUGE difference in my application... Being you have a condenser in front of your radiator I would be also looking at air flow /fan /shroud/hood seal ect

I won't even get into timing with the crap gas. That can affect engine temp

The thing I have learned here ITS THE WHOLE package /my engine runs at 190 anywhere!!

Last edited:
I know that my stock A/C pump and A/C pulley was causing cavitation and creating pits in the front cover. I’m spinning it to 6500 rpm. I have installed a anticavitation plate after cutting off 4 of the 8 impeller arms. (Cut the arms off to free up some hp) I now have a March underdrive crank pulley. (To keep the belts on it) Since all those changes. The pits have stopped growing. An anti-cavitation plate should be all you need. The car runs 180 at idle on a hot day, at 65 mph it goes to 195-200 with 4:10 gears.

pits ? coolant PH ? debris ??
Champion Cooling Systems CCHF-1.50_ Inline Coolant Filter - JEGS

Cavitation pits, can cause all kinds of problems.

-
Back