water pumps

-

GotDart

Reaction score
Looking at water pumps at Summit, there are too many to choose from. :scratch: Which one would you guys recommend? I'm leaning toward the Milodon high volume aluminum, MIL-16250. Is there an obvious better choice? This is for an aluminum head small block 416 stroker motor in a street car.

Speaking of water pumps... I can't seem to get one to live on my 340. It's killed 3 in the last six months. Doesn't have overheating problems, and won't kill the pump until you rip it a few times. Maybe trying to move too much water too fast? :scratch: Whenever it starts leaking you can bet the belt will be looped around the fan. :!: It spinns the cooling fins off the alternator too - done it twice... :eye:

get an electric pump or run the v belts looser so it slips under high load?

has anyone had success with an electric pump on a street mopar anyways?

Tried running the belt looser - it just throws the belt. Gave some consideration to an electric pump, but everybody I've talked to says they're fine for racing, but they won't keep it cool on the street. I think what I might try is a late model alt. - I hear they'll bolt right on the early brackets - and then change it over to a serpentine belt with a bigger water pump pulley. I had thought about doing the real electric water pump (not an electric drive kit), but then I'd have to modify my brand new $350 radiator :pale: , and I don't know if it would do the job. I had even thought I might get rid of a couple fins on the impeller... :scratch:

Do you have a high flow stat? If not, maybe it's creating too muck back pressure.

If you are spinning it hard I would just get a stock pump for an A/C equipped car. They have more impellers but they are smaller for less drag. Also what are you using for a fan?

Currently have 8 blade pump w/viscous drive fan and stock t-stat. Hadn't thought about a bigger hole for the stat - I guess that would lower the pressure... I was under the impression that the 8 blade pump was the air conditioner unit but maybe that's just a cast iron water pump thing - all of them I've had were 8 blade units. I've also been told to toss the t-stat and just run a washer with a 5/8" center hole - is that big enough? Rember, this thing spends alot more time on the street than it does at the track. :scratch:

I'm thinking about switching to the serpentine style ribbed belts too. Maybe the March kit. Not sure about the fan yet. Might go with flex fan on a spacer and fab up a new shroud. For the radiator, I'm looking at either a Griffin or Howe universal fit aluminum. I'm also going to replace the original tube-fin a/c condencer with a more efficient parallel flow so maybe the a/c will actual work with 134a.

now when youu guys are looking in to it how mush stuff do i realy need to change to be able to run a serpentinebelt on my 340? is it worth it?

Well, obvoiusly you'll need a set of pulleys and a belt. I don't know for sure, but I have been told that the late model small alternator will bolt into the earlier brackets with no grief. That was part of my plan - going to the smaller alt., and if I go that way that will take care of the pulley on the alternator. And I'm supposing that whatever engine donates the alternator would also be able to give up crank and water pump pulleys. It would seem the only thing left to produce is a belt - and I honestly have no idea where to find one that short. I'm kind of shooting in the dark here, but I'd guess I could probably round up everything I need for around a hundred bucks or so - I've got junk yard connections... :mrgreen: My biggest problem at this point is that I just need to procrastonate for awhile while I convince myself that that's what I want to do - (is this the best solution I can come up with :scratch: ) I guess the only way to find out is to try it and see...

You will not be able to use the water pump pulley from a late model magnum engine.

The late model magnum v8's spin the water pump the opposite direction of the LA and the water pump pulley has no grooves becasue the back side of the belt runs the water pump. Plus the pulley is pressed onto the water pump shaft (the end of the shaft is threaded and the fan is screwed on.

Be careful about mixing parts. You will need all the pulleys to be the same width with the same number of grooves.

Might be easier just to look for a smaller v-groove pulley for the crank so you aren't spinning the accessories as fast.

ok just thoungt that i could have saved myself some $$$ than for the answer! it helps to have pepole that knows :thumleft:

Anyone ever try a FlowKooler water pump? I am thinking about getting one.

Klrfish- try using a ribbed-type fan belt, and make absolutely sure that all your pulleys are in perfect alignment- it's easier to tell this when the motor is idleing- look at it from the side to make sure everthing is lined up. :)

-
Back