Water Temp Gauge

-

Mopardude

Reaction score
This is an Autometer mechanical gauge and I have clue where it is suppose to be installed into. It has a small fitting that screws into a huge *** fitting. If I set the huge *** fitting aside the small end may fit into a spot on the passenger side of the block. Does this sound right?

Should go into the intake manifold towards the front on the passenger side. Depending on the manifold, the huge *** fitting works as a sleeve.

I ended up calling Autometer directly. According to them you can't use their mechanical water temp guages on small block mopar's.

Most small block intakes dont have a place to screw in the mech sending unit.I ran a electric guage because of this. However I noticed that OnehellofaDart used the heater house fitting hole to run his. I may switch to a mechanical and run it that way seeing I dont have a heater box in my car.

Mopardude said:
I ended up calling Autometer directly. According to them you can't use their mechanical water temp guages on small block mopar's.

Its strange that they would tell you that, I've been running their mechanical guages on my 340 for years. I'm gonna take a pic of the fitting on an engine I have sitting in the garage. I'll post it as soon as I can get it loaded.

Yes if you could that would be great! I am curious now. I am running an Airgap and the ports on that are identical to stock as far as I know.

I was debating the same and running it in the heater hose port but there has been times I have used the heat in the car. I have an electical gauge on order. Kinda pisses me off that Summit didn't know this. I have a box load of parts now to send them because they have sent me wrong parts.

Well I went out to take a look and seems that its in where the heater hose fitting goes. We don't use the heaters too much here in Hawaii so I guess I never really realized that I was using the hole thats for the heater fitting. Anyway heres a pic of it.
20047235699760324199503.jpg

Thats cool! Yea here in Wisconsin you never know when your going to have to pop on the heaters.

mine works fine where it is and i have heat,
album_pic.php
oh well that didn't work check out our public photo gallery. heater hoses rerouted to input and output tubes on hi flow alum water pump.

Hello Mopardude

I am using a mechanical temp gage in 3 of my cars and on my 91 Ramchager.
I mount the pickup in the heater hose line( the one that goes to the heater).

You can get all the good Brass fittings to do this at Rienemans Hardware in Burlington.

You need a (1)Brass "T" fitting, 3/8th NPT,(2) 3/8th NPT barbed hose ends for 5/8th I.D heater hose. Or---

You need the above "T", with one 3/8th NPT barbed hose end and (1) 3/8th NPT to 3/8th NPT nipple to screw directly into the manifold and "T".

With all this your sending unit bulb will screw into the "T" fitting and you can still use your factory gage.

The only fittings that are hard to find are the adapters that come with the mechanical gages. I have not found a source for them yet. (the ones that go from NPT to an I.D. flare fitting).

If you don't do all this, most of the time you can drill and tap another hole on the drivers side of the manifold, into the water jacket but this must be done with the manifold off the engine, for obvious reasons.

Also, do not use "galvanized fittings" It has bad reactions with aluminun and antifreeeze. Use Brass only.

Hope this helps a little if you need any help, P.M. me.

By the way I work in Elkhorn, and I am from Burlington.

Are you going to Mopars at the strip in Union Grove on Sunday. It's an all Mopar day.

Dave C.

barracudadave67 said:
Hello Mopardude

I am using a mechanical temp gage in 3 of my cars and on my 91 Ramchager.
I mount the pickup in the heater hose line( the one that goes to the heater).

You can get all the good Brass fittings to do this at Rienemans Hardware in Burlington.

You need a (1)Brass "T" fitting, 3/8th NPT,(2) 3/8th NPT barbed hose ends for 5/8th I.D heater hose. Or---

You need the above "T", with one 3/8th NPT barbed hose end and (1) 3/8th NPT to 3/8th NPT nipple to screw directly into the manifold and "T".

With all this your sending unit bulb will screw into the "T" fitting and you can still use your factory gage.

The only fittings that are hard to find are the adapters that come with the mechanical gages. I have not found a source for them yet. (the ones that go from NPT to an I.D. flare fitting).

If you don't do all this, most of the time you can drill and tap another hole on the drivers side of the manifold, into the water jacket but this must be done with the manifold off the engine, for obvious reasons.

Also, do not use "galvanized fittings" It has bad reactions with aluminun and antifreeeze. Use Brass only.

Hope this helps a little if you need any help, P.M. me.

By the way I work in Elkhorn, and I am from Burlington.

Are you going to Mopars at the strip in Union Grove on Sunday. It's an all Mopar day.

Dave C.

Yup I am going also. I have never been to it but I heard its a pretty good mopar show. Thats cool that you live in Burlington nice to know there are other A body guys around here. I am a member of Burlington Car club you ever come to any of our car shows?

-
Back