waterpump pulley?

-

fonzy

Reaction score
I hate to ask, but I not sure, on my valiant 66 225, no air, no tow package, it has a double pulley on the water pump. I think it should actually have a singe pulley on it, the reason I ask is because the fan will not fit in between the pulley and the radiator...it has an electric fan on it, however it's not wired through the ignition, and I know I will leave it on and drain the battery, it's not a question of if, it's one of when I will do it. which will obviously be the worst possible time, thank mr. murphy.
I am not home I am at work and can't take a pic, I will be able to do so tomorrow. Also if it is a single pulley, will one off of a 318 work? I know someone that has a pulley off of one. or if I can get measurements off the original I can check it against his pulley. Thanks guys, I know this seems like a dumb question, but of all the things I have done so far this is one I can't google up an answer for.

The pulley will not make any difference, in the fan spacing (but yes, it would normally have a single pulley). Is there a spacer between the pulley and the fan blade? There should be none. It is possible someone installed an incorrect radiator.

no, there is no fan attached here now, I have the blade and spacer, but the space between the radiator and the pulley seems to be to small. I wonder if he put a spacer behind the pulley? I need to take the pulley off and look at it.

Yes, I've seen that before,, spacer behind the pulley. I don't know how they got the belt to line up. I do know that a 318 pulley is alot deeper than a slant.

ok, my pop did this while I was at work, apparently with the pulley off there was indeed a spacer behind the pulley, with it out, the first groove lines up correctly, so no need to replace the pulley, however the spacer is still putting the fan too close, and without a spacer it's too close to the crank pulley, so...we look for a smaller spacer or find a couple of thick washers for now. we shall see. I hate to jury rig it, but I need to drive it now.. I think my wife's car has killed an alternator. which reminds me of another reason to love the early A's....her alternator is at minimum going to cost around 150$. I bet the alternator on the valiant isn't even close to that.

Many variables. Need photos. Early radiators (at least to 1969) had round tops. Most slants had a fairly thin fan, at least compared to V-8 clutch fans. I don't think there was but a single water pump for the slant six, but maybe in the Aspen/Volare years there was. I think all Mopar pulleys will have the same bolt hole pattern and center hub, thus would bolt on, so who knows what is on your car. For kicks, I even found my Mopar clutch-fan bolted fine to my M-B water pump using a spacer ring in the box, though the fan bumped into things.

I would like to show pics but I am at work, tomorrow I can do some pics. After I get the lil lady's car up and about. sorry about the pics, I am a firefighter, I work 24 hours at a time.

Good auto part stores will have fan spacers in different lenghts.

the spacer is 13/16, it works, they placed an electric fan in front of the radiator, i think they pushed the radiator back about an 1/8 of an inch, or so. the clearance with the original fan is 3/4 at the top and driver's side, on passenger bottom of the radiator it's about a 1/4 of an inch. for now it works, going to remove the electric fan, the wiring inside the car is janky, in my opinion it takes away the look of the vehicle. by the way we just used the original pulley, and the space we were given with the fan. yes, it is the stock fan.

20180915_164209lite.jpg
I'm having a similar issue. I replaced my OEM radiator (it died) with a Champion 3 row radiator. I also replaced my water pump. I absolutely hate this Champion radiator. I have had to do so much work to make it fit. I had to replace the oem fan with a low profile aftermarket fan since the radiator takes up so much room. The water pump was a new one from OReileys. It's a Murray.

Since replacing the water pump, I have discovered that my alternator pulley and fan pulley do not line up and as a result my fan belt will not stay on. If I remove the spacer behind the water pump pulley. my fan hits the harmonic balancer pulley. I am really frustrated at this point. I bought 2 different half inch fan spacers and they don't work because the fan still hits the harmonic balancer when I attempt to use them. Do they make spacers and longer bolts that would enable me to bring my alternator forward an inch? I would most likely need longer alternator bolts as a result..or do they make an alternator with a dual pulley or can the pulley be adjusted out. I really don't feel like yanking this damn radiator out again..
20180915_164209.jpg
20180915_164209.jpg
20180915_164221.jpg
20180915_164316.jpg
20181006_145545.jpg
20181006_145554.jpg
20181006_145554.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like that is the incorrect water pump pulley. There should be no spacer between the water pump, and the pulley. It should be in line with the crank damper. The is a two shiev alternator pulley, but it is not needed. In your picture the belt should be in the groove closest to the engine on the crank.

It looks like that is the incorrect water pump pulley. There should be no spacer between the water pump, and the pulley. It should be in line with the crank damper. The is a two shiev alternator pulley, but it is not needed. In your picture the belt should be in the groove closest to the engine on the crank.
Looks like the wrong pump pulley to me too. 3/8" pipe nipples can be cut to length for spacers ,
I u need to go that route.

-
Back