WE ARE A GENERATION THAT WILL NEVER COME BACK.

-
The Worst Generation

And don't give me this crap about Boomer music. The Beatles were all born before the end of the war. So was Janis. So while the Boomers can claim they had the good taste to listen to gifted pre-Boomers, when it came their turn to make music, the truest expression of their generation, what did they give us?

Disco.

The generation that came before the Boomers gave them Dylan. The Boomers gave us KC and the Sunshine Band. Thanks a lot.
Good read.

Most of what Mark says is in humor. Most of what gofish says...........I have no idea if he's (or she) is serious, or bitching or proud of something.

Baby Boomers

68F52D53-3EE6-4EBE-B4AB-7620C08CD301.jpeg

Most of what Mark says is in humor. Most of what gofish says...........I have no idea if he's (or she) is serious, or bitching or proud of something.
Well, I think you got your answer in post #7. But, I don't think we are patting ourselves on the back. We are in effect saying thank you. From Steve Welder's comment: Yep, all of the above and the Fifties and Sixties were a great time to grow up, but those great decades were a gift to us from the Greatest generation. They made the scarifies and had the courage and fortitude, the loyalty to the country first with a unselfish, honest, modest common sense approach

Yep, all of the above and the Fifties and Sixties were a great time to grow up, but those great decades were a gift to us from the Greatest generation. They made the scarifies and had the courage and fortitude, the loyalty to the country first with a unselfish, honest, modest common sense approach

True.

And, each generation is presented with problems, advantages, disadvantages, good, bad, etc. that the previous generation did not enjoy or endure.
I was raised by parents that were in their 40s when I was born. Parents that fought 2 wars and endured the real Great Depression.
I guess that I skipped a generation.

But, may dad did not walk to school , uphill, and in the snow in SW Ga. He rode a damn mule, folks.

True.

And, each generation is presented with problems, advantages, disadvantages, good, bad, etc. that the previous generation did not enjoy or endure.
I was raised by parents that were in their 40s when I was born. Parents that fought 2 wars and endured the real Great Depression.
I guess that I skipped a generation.

But, may dad did not walk to school , uphill, and in the snow in SW Ga. He rode a damn mule, folks.
I asked my wife's granddad, if he ever rode a mule. He said he had, a few times. I asked him, "how'd they do"? He said, "some weren't too bad." :lol:

I asked my wife's granddad, if he ever rode a mule. He said he had, a few times. I asked him, "how'd they do"? He said, "some weren't too bad." :lol:
Mules are great. Very smart. I did just about all those things but I lived way out the in the country on a red dirt road. It’s where I drank my first beer, it’s where I found Jesus, it’s where I wrecked my first car. I tore it all to pieces.
BTW, that list doesn’t include frog giggin, catching crawdads, riding horses, BB gun fights, spin the bottle, riding cross country to Disneyland in the cargo area of a station wagon….

I never walked to school but all the rest applies. I was born in 74. Btw, disco sucked. Glad I was too young to have to endure that.

I was born in 80 and must have grown up like all you old timers. Even in my teens I was driving a 73 Challenger and a 73 Duster while listening to Zeppelin. We had party’s in fields with bon fires, fights were fist fights and not gun fights, cell phones and internet wasn’t really a thing yet. Mine was probably the last birth year to complete me into adulthood with no internet or cell phone. I know they were around but small town Oklahoma didn’t have it.
I remember my Junior year I fished ponds, lakes, and rivers for over 290 that year. I was logging all my trips and skipped a lot of things because I was that dedicated. Sometimes I woke up at 4:30 am to go before work.
I guess last bing in the country was timeless back then. I had no interest in anything that was new (cars, music), I even dated older women, lol.

I moved from a suburb to a rural setting 14 years ago, kinda like stepping back in time. People still wave you through first at intersections, the cashier stops and actually talks to you, our neighbor goes for his morning walk down our dirt road and I stop so we can chat for a few minutes about our neighbors. Then I drive to work where selfish drivers cut me off and flip me on in the process, after coasting through a red light cause they were on the phone. What a contrast..

I moved from a suburb to a rural setting 14 years ago, kinda like stepping back in time. People still wave you through first at intersections, the cashier stops and actually talks to you, our neighbor goes for his morning walk down our dirt road and I stop so we can chat for a few minutes about our neighbors. Then I drive to work where selfish drivers cut me off and flip me on in the process, after coasting through a red light cause they were on the phone. What a contrast..

Yep, give me the country. We live in an even more remote place than I grew up and my kids are raising chickens, helping my wife with the garden, my son was shooting his bow and arrow all afternoon (unsupervised).
It rally isn't about when you grew up as much as being parented well.

I was born in 80 and must have grown up like all you old timers. Even in my teens I was driving a 73 Challenger and a 73 Duster while listening to Zeppelin. We had party’s in fields with bon fires, fights were fist fights and not gun fights, cell phones and internet wasn’t really a thing yet. Mine was probably the last birth year to complete me into adulthood with no internet or cell phone. I know they were around but small town Oklahoma didn’t have it.
I remember my Junior year I fished ponds, lakes, and rivers for over 290 that year. I was logging all my trips and skipped a lot of things because I was that dedicated. Sometimes I woke up at 4:30 am to go before work.
I guess last bing in the country was timeless back then. I had no interest in anything that was new (cars, music), I even dated older women, lol.
You had a great time growing up Go-fish

Unfortunately it's a whole different world out there. Everyone is in a rush, rude drivers and people who wouldn't give you the time of day unless there's something in it for them.
Sad to think of how we've changed

Lets face fact, the fewer people around you, the slower life moves along, where less is more....theb etter life really is. If a person has never experienced it, they never know.

Unfortunately it's a whole different world out there. Everyone is in a rush, rude drivers and people who wouldn't give you the time of day unless there's something in it for them.
Sad to think of how we've changed
Lets face fact, the fewer people around you, the slower life moves along, where less is more....theb etter life really is. If a person has never experienced it, they never know.
I read these things that the OP posted and usually recall another time gone past and move on....This one I noticed now is on other social media sites. This kind of stuff I guess is geared to the off springs of the greatest generation. I do have to wonder that if my parents generation had access to a internet and social media would they have wasted precious times posting this stuff, saying how great it was when they were younger......I kind of doubt that as it wasn't so great
Everybody has a story about how their elders grew up and struggled when they were kids and im no exception to those kinds of stories, but it wasn't me whose father was physically and mentally sick often, it wasn't me who didn't have enough food on the table and who quit school at 14 to help support the family and it wasn't me who lived in basements of relatives because there was no money for rent and it wasn't me who turned 18 and enlisted in the Army and found himself on a troop ship traveling across the Pacific to fight in a war, it was my father, not me, I just reaped the benefits of what he did the jobs he did to raise and support my brother and me
Sure I grew up in a great time thanks to that generation. I had woods with lakes and streams, swamps, neighborhood stores were we could buy a nickel coke a cola made with syrup or a ice creme sandwich from the drug store freezer for a dime.. Playing in the school yard, movies in the theater on rainy Saturday afternoons, Sunday dinner Italian style, all of this in the backyard of the greatest city on the face of the earth
Than Robert Moses and the City of New York decided the best thing was a bridge to connect my home to Brooklyn and since 1964 as every year from than to this very day a little changes everyday some good and some not so good
There are a lot of things that were wrong back when grew up, things we overlook while we have these nostalgic thoughts of time gone by.
I recently had some work done in my house, one of the workers I had gotten friendly with, a nice person who was also a Gospel singer and devout Christian. In the course of conversation over lunch he told me a philosophy he had of life
He said life was like traveling in a car, the car has a smaller rear window but a large front window, he said the rear window in life was small because that's were we've been but that front window is so big as that represents were we are going and we need to have a larger view
When I find myself looking out that rear window to often, the reality is as its nice to do once in awhile, its that front windshield I need to pay more attention to as that's were im headed
Id think that story that guy told me can apply when we start with this constant of how great things were in days gone by and how they aren't today

When I find myself looking out that rear window to often, the reality is as its nice to do once in awhile, its that front windshield I need to pay more attention to as that's were im headed
Thank you. I had made some posts and deleted them because I genuinely don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. When you dissent about a generation and point out messed up things with the generation while everyone is being all rosy about the past they get a little upset. I decided to go along to get along. I have to remember that the Boomer generation was the first generation to have public education that taught them what to think and not how to think and it's only gotten worse with Gen X,Y, Millenials. As I've pointed out it really is about the setting and the parenting, not timeframes.

I am genuinely concerned for people like my 74 year old mother in law who reminesses ALL the time. Everything is a story about something that happened in the past. She's fairly rotund and will say things like, "I was 98 pounds when I got married." (she's 5'2"). My wife's Father died so there are a lot of "Remember-when's" about that. The further back the memory the better the times.

Everything seems to be "Today sucks/ Set your mind back to yesteryear" thinking. It's a very flawed way to live your life. If I'm seeing Mark post this same post 3 times a year what am I to think? I think he needs support and to be reminded of how great life is, if not for the simple fact that you woke up this morning. As I tell my Mother In Law, make some memories today!

-
Back