WE ARE A GENERATION THAT WILL NEVER COME BACK.

-
Seems like it offends some younger generation people to hear older generations speak of their youth or early days. I do not understand why.

I well remember simply loving to hear my old aunts and uncles talk about the past, it was stories of both good and bad. I wish I had them all back today. I never knew my grandparents, as they died before I was born.

Back in the 60s, sure a Coke was 5 cents. But back then a nickle had a value and a dollar actually bought something. But look how hard and long anyone hard to work to earn that nickle or dollar. Was life easier? In some ways yes, other ways , no.

Since I'm 74 and started WORK after HS school classes in the sixties, I have a long memory of life and work. I remember the good and the bad. I prefer to recall the good usually. In my opinion was life better back then? Different yes. In many ways better,but that is just my opinion.

Was there less crime, fewer "bad" people? Were there crazy people going into schools and killing for the sake of killing??

There was still murder even in rural Ga. back then. One afternoon I stopped at a rural country store to find the owner and his wife, robbed and dead with their brains spattered over the wall. Were the murder rates per capita way less back then? Probably. Lead can tell us.

I'm sorry for anyone that wants to ignore history and past lives.

Seems like it offends some younger generation people to hear older generations speak of their youth or early days. I do not understand why.

Because sometimes, and you have to admit it or admit not paying attention to it, the reminiscing is followed up by "then everything went to ****". Well, I am the younger generation that has to live with the policies, the economy, the immorality ..... that the previous generation "gave" me. THe Greatest Generation gave Boomers something extraordinary and they could take care of it. It is the classic "

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times."​

"Where am I in that cycle?". I think that is the question that younger people have but I am not offended. I am frustrated that some older folks like my Mother In Law see life as better the further back the memory goes but have screwed up in life every step of the way to only now complain about the way her life is today.

Thank you. I had made some posts and deleted them because I genuinely don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. When you dissent about a generation and point out messed up things with the generation while everyone is being all rosy about the past they get a little upset. I decided to go along to get along. I have to remember that the Boomer generation was the first generation to have public education that taught them what to think and not how to think and it's only gotten worse with Gen X,Y, Millenials. As I've pointed out it really is about the setting and the parenting, not timeframes.

I am genuinely concerned for people like my 74 year old mother in law who reminesses ALL the time. Everything is a story about something that happened in the past. She's fairly rotund and will say things like, "I was 98 pounds when I got married." (she's 5'2"). My wife's Father died so there are a lot of "Remember-when's" about that. The further back the memory the better the times.

Everything seems to be "Today sucks/ Set your mind back to yesteryear" thinking. It's a very flawed way to live your life. If I'm seeing Mark post this same post 3 times a year what am I to think? I think he needs support and to be reminded of how great life is, if not for the simple fact that you woke up this morning. As I tell my Mother In Law, make some memories today!
Your not quite correct, my generation is not the first generation to have public school nor were we ever taught what to think as compared how to think. For you to further imply thats its only gotten worse with future generation's only reinforces what ive learned about the uniformed opinions of others.
My children are your age bracket, we were involved with their education no teacher no school told or taught my kids what to think
You've written about your religious beliefs, perhaps if Christians truly embraced the word of God and not twisted His word to justify their own sinful convictions and than passing that down upon their own children, maybe people wouldn't be spreading false agenda about what is being taught in school.
I have six grandchildren split between two of my adult children, all my grandkids attend public school in two states. All of them pledges Allegiance to the Flag every morning. They study all or most of the same things I did. I have public school teachers in the family, when I tell them of the allegations I read about this fake indocmeration I constantly hear about what's being taught in school, they shake their heads.
As far as your 74 year old mother in law goes, she is only a few years older than me. You could do her more of a favor by encouraging her, making sure she has activity and gets out of the house. Her husband died, she is at the closing chapters of the book, what would you suggest she do.
My wife was 58 at the time and I couldn't keep my hands off her, than 12 years ago the phone rang with the results of a medical test and life changed on a dime.....Do you get what chemo and 5 abdominal surgery do to a human body. She's 70 and still by Gods graces still here and of course im grateful but do you think that at times I dont have a lot of "remember when's". Do I need to draw you a picture?
I dont know Mark who posted this thread, I have no idea of his life or what he thinks, I dont post and wouldn't post these little stories like he does but so what. Has Mark done anyone any harm, maybe it makes him and a few others smile, maybe for a few fleeting seconds they forget about what hurts them physically or mentally.
Maybe their young ,healthy and happy.
A lot of what you write is correct, live for today, make memories but sometimes for some of us there is a warm feeling when we go back in time, we just can't make it a fixation and BTW I dont mean to knock you, just showing the other side of the coin
Because sometimes, and you have to admit it or admit not paying attention to it, the reminiscing is followed up by "then everything went to ****". Well, I am the younger generation that has to live with the policies, the economy, the immorality ..... that the previous generation "gave" me. THe Greatest Generation gave Boomers something extraordinary and they could take care of it. It is the classic "

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times."​

"Where am I in that cycle?". I think that is the question that younger people have but I am not offended. I am frustrated that some older folks like my Mother In Law see life as better the further back the memory goes but have screwed up in life every step of the way to only now complain about the way her life is today.
The policies, the economy, the immorality?????? I guess you didn't live through the sixties and seventies
If your mother in law screwed up her life thats on her and if all she has is to complain about it, thats even sadder but your mother in laws life is no refection of anyones else's life and has zero to do with her, mine generation.....

Last edited:

Yet read the first paragraph in your post #27. Now tell me how you're not coming off like a ....well.......nevermind. You said you decided to go along to get along and then you say all the rest. It's a downright insult. I haven't seen that attitude toward you. Yet. Like I already said. I had you pegged to be pretty cool. I'm sorry I was mistaken on this one. You've made the list.

@Steve welder You missed what I was saying about public schools. I didn’t say the post WWII generation was the first to have public education but it is the first generation where they stopped teaching things other than basics and had influence of Industrial Military Complex, ie. cold war politics, sewing fear as a means of control, …
I guess we’re not aligning and it is probably my wording and inability to articulate what I am trying to say.
BTW, my Father in Law died of cancer when my MIL was in her 50’s. She went into deep depression and as a result has been on antidepressants since. We have tried everything including haviher live with us twice. You just can’t do anymore or tried any harder than we have. And we still do things to try and help her.

Hey Go Fish. Just let you know that you didn't come off like a A hole, nor did you insult anybody. In fact when I read what I just did you might have made a case for yourself with what your opinions on this topic are
As far as "lists" go all I know is you've served your country and community and thats more than half the guys here did
I myself just dont agree with you on everything

Three threads merged.....try not to start any more on the exact same subject line. :rolleyes:

I just happen to have a particular viewpoint, as everyone does.
I just want to make it clear, I have no malice toward anyone here because they are from a certain generation. I base all my views on each person based on the some of their actions. I grew up in the 80’s much like you older guys did. I had a job waking up at 0530 in High School and worked some nights too. Same values instilled in me as many of you. Personally, older fellas and myself have more in common that people 50 and below.

Now, I will one more time (and the final time) attempt to give a snap shot of my viewpoint:
Irrespective of any one persons upbringing here, America has been changing IMO for the worse since the end of WWII. Things ranging from foreign policy to domestic public institutions. The UN was created. The Military Industrial Complex was created. The government started using fear and impending war to control the populations emotions, actions, and voting habits.
Culturally there has been pushback, peace/ civil rights movement, and then intelligence agencies subversion of those movements. There was assassinations of major players in those movements.

When I shouldn’t have, I tried to “rain on your parade” when there has been these topics started on the subject of how wonderful life was in your youths. It was a wonderful time in my youth and I am making sure my kids are growing up “in innocence “ so that they may look back with a smile themselves someday.

I do believe I have a healthy sense of skepticism toward our government, media, entertainment influencers and I connect the dots from the current young generation all the way back to when I see it going south.

I shouldn’t correlate growing up putting baseball cards in your bike spokes or collecting glass bottles of Grapette with how I feel about the Powers that Be that have come out of that generation.

No more bashing from me. You guys go ahead an reminisce. I am sure you don’t need to hear anymore grumbling from me.

A generation that got a 25c allowance that would buy a whole bag of candy
When I was about 13 (1961) I had a bud and he got an "allowance"> Really? Well we were into catching frogs, lizards, turtles and an occasional snake. We had gone down to the creek and then went thru the woods away. I stepped over a stump and there coiled up and asleep was a small timber rattler. Well I catch him and put hm in a cloth bag. My snake and lizard bag. He was small, about 1 1/2 ft or so. My bud really wanted him bad, and I remembered this kid' allowance and he was sold to him for $5. That was a fortune for me. The bag was free.

He takes him home on his bicycle as that was our means of transportation unless you walked. He put the snake in a gallon jar and hides it under the edge of the house, his dad finds it and makes him kill it. Then he wants a "refund">

Yea like Hell.

Thank you. I had made some posts and deleted them because I genuinely don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. When you dissent about a generation and point out messed up things with the generation while everyone is being all rosy about the past they get a little upset. I decided to go along to get along. I have to remember that the Boomer generation was the first generation to have public education that taught them what to think and not how to think and it's only gotten worse with Gen X,Y, Millenials. As I've pointed out it really is about the setting and the parenting, not timeframes.

I am genuinely concerned for people like my 74 year old mother in law who reminesses ALL the time. Everything is a story about something that happened in the past. She's fairly rotund and will say things like, "I was 98 pounds when I got married." (she's 5'2"). My wife's Father died so there are a lot of "Remember-when's" about that. The further back the memory the better the times.

Everything seems to be "Today sucks/ Set your mind back to yesteryear" thinking. It's a very flawed way to live your life. If I'm seeing Mark post this same post 3 times a year what am I to think? I think he needs support and to be reminded of how great life is, if not for the simple fact that you woke up this morning. As I tell my Mother In Law, make some memories today!
No support needed for me thanks Go-fish. I'm fine and dandy just the way I am but thanks.

Your not quite correct, my generation is not the first generation to have public school nor were we ever taught what to think as compared how to think. For you to further imply thats its only gotten worse with future generation's only reinforces what ive learned about the uniformed opinions of others.
My children are your age bracket, we were involved with their education no teacher no school told or taught my kids what to think
You've written about your religious beliefs, perhaps if Christians truly embraced the word of God and not twisted His word to justify their own sinful convictions and than passing that down upon their own children, maybe people wouldn't be spreading false agenda about what is being taught in school.
I have six grandchildren split between two of my adult children, all my grandkids attend public school in two states. All of them pledges Allegiance to the Flag every morning. They study all or most of the same things I did. I have public school teachers in the family, when I tell them of the allegations I read about this fake indocmeration I constantly hear about what's being taught in school, they shake their heads.
As far as your 74 year old mother in law goes, she is only a few years older than me. You could do her more of a favor by encouraging her, making sure she has activity and gets out of the house. Her husband died, she is at the closing chapters of the book, what would you suggest she do.
My wife was 58 at the time and I couldn't keep my hands off her, than 12 years ago the phone rang with the results of a medical test and life changed on a dime.....Do you get what chemo and 5 abdominal surgery do to a human body. She's 70 and still by Gods graces still here and of course im grateful but do you think that at times I dont have a lot of "remember when's". Do I need to draw you a picture?
I dont know Mark who posted this thread, I have no idea of his life or what he thinks, I dont post and wouldn't post these little stories like he does but so what. Has Mark done anyone any harm, maybe it makes him and a few others smile, maybe for a few fleeting seconds they forget about what hurts them physically or mentally.
Maybe their young ,healthy and happy.
A lot of what you write is correct, live for today, make memories but sometimes for some of us there is a warm feeling when we go back in time, we just can't make it a fixation and BTW I dont mean to knock you, just showing the other side of the coin

The policies, the economy, the immorality?????? I guess you didn't live through the sixties and seventies
If your mother in law screwed up her life thats on her and if all she has is to complain about it, thats even sadder but your mother in laws life is no refection of anyones else's life and has zero to do with her, mine generation.....
And that's my aim, to put a smile on someone's face so they can face this world they live in.

311244416_532396942222576_4017609989366021135_n.jpg

Memories are made every day we have no choice in the matter, they are what teaches and guides us as we look forward in making new memories. My opinion.

-
Back