We lost another one.

-

moparmarks

zippindippintie
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Sad to see. Was a friend's project when his phone charger caught fire setting his garage on fire. I first saw it on the news. Was a real solid clean car.

20230411_123656.jpg

20230411_123706.jpg

20230411_123724.jpg

20230411_123737.jpg

20230411_123835.jpg

20230411_123911.jpg

Wow. Was this a member here? Sad indeed.

"Phone charger." It is one thing for cheap china junk toys to not be well engineered and protected, but there is no excuse for mainline consumer goods not to be.

Silver lining...

For every car that becomes a parts car 2 others can stay on the road.

Sorry for his loss

That is todays world. Rhinehart had a power tool battery charger set his shop on fire with his 68 Hemi SS Dart in it.

Kind of makes you want to install fire suppression in the garage

That is todays world. Rhinehart had a power tool battery charger set his shop on fire with his 68 Hemi SS Dart in it.
Actually it was my 69 Dart GTS 383 4-speed I bought in 1978, and my wife's 78 Trans Am Gold Edition SE with t-tops 400 auto. 12V LI battery for a drill...

69 GTS.jpg

121912123151.jpg

Right behind the Dart was a 72 Duster /6 904 P/Disc A/C 8.75 that he bought from the original owner. It survived along with a Vette, a Harley and two Square body Chevys. The poor Dart took all the blows.
I actually have everything to fix this except time and desire.

Makes me think I should put my cordless chargers on a timer.

That car could be fixed.
It's really not that bad minus interior.
Or, it would be a great parts car to make another one live.
All is not lost yet...

Terrible to see this............I have read stories like this before on the battery chargers. I am very cautious now on all of mine. As soon as I see the battery reached it charge, I always remove it. I don't trust any of them, phone, speaker, dewalt, etc. that I have.

And I'll never leave a device with a battery charging on when I leave now. Good public service announcement at the least. Sorry the loss!

Last edited:
His homeowners insurance will not cover the car, but they will cover parts that were not installed. There is usually a limit of like 2 thousand

Nice car and sorry he lost it that way

Wow. Was this a member here? Sad indeed.
Hey Brother, I lived in a 80 year old house with wood paneling and clapboard siding on the outside I went to split one day with the rest of the household, had a new charger (I got from the local Arab gas station,) went back in to grab a beer and it was sitting on the back of a cloth recliner, right next to the panel wall,and the dogs were inside. the damn thing was on fire! Literally in flames

Terrible to see this............I have read stories like this before on the battery chargers. I am very cautious now on all of mine. As soon as I see the battery reached it charge, I always remove it. I don't trust any of them, phone, speaker, dewalt, etc. that I have.
I've never had an issue with my DeWalt batteries but I knew someone that bought some damn Chinese knockoff, that damn thing did catch on fire! I lost two good friends in a fire,my Rottweiler woke me up at 4:30 in the morning Raisin Hell! I looked out the window and it looks kind of red I didn't know what to think I was still half asleep I ran out the front door ran around the back ran through the gate passed the lake and got about 20 ft from the back door in the roof collapsed and blew like 8 ft sheets of flames outside man blew out all the windows it just sucked. Not a damn thing I could do

His homeowners insurance will not cover the car, but they will cover parts that were not installed. There is usually a limit of like 2 thousand

Nice car and sorry he lost it that way
Yep, no insurance coverage on this one.
I do have a nice roof, front clip, door, complete dash assy. cowl and most everything to fix it but to me it is not worth the time and labor, at least not for me. It also doesn't have a title.

Last edited:

Add laptops to that list as well. I've had 2 co-workers lose their homes due to laptop fires within the last few years.

My wife and I go through a checklist every time we leave the house. We've seen too many things.

-
Back