Wear you PPE!!!

-

charliec

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am in an intense cleaning phase of the Dart. Yesterday, I was using a 3" cup brush in my die grinder to scrub the rust and stuck-on carpet hairs from the floor pans and firewall. Due to the amount of dust created, I wore my full-face respirator mask. Apparently, I had not tightened the chuck properly. The brush came out, smacked my face mask, and kept on going.
20190817_154442.jpg

Looking at the location of that gash on the mask, I can imagine that I would be minus a bunch of teeth (at least) if I hadn't had the full face mask on. I still have not found the brush; I think it went into orbit.
Please, please, please wear your PPE!!!

Man I'm glad your ok! I emphasize this so much at work with my guys! It happens in a blink of an eye and you never see it coming till it's too late! Thanks for sharing maybe it will help someone out!

I am in an intense cleaning phase of the Dart. Yesterday, I was using a 3" cup brush in my die grinder to scrub the rust and stuck-on carpet hairs from the floor pans and firewall. Due to the amount of dust created, I wore my full-face respirator mask. Apparently, I had not tightened the chuck properly. The brush came out, smacked my face mask, and kept on going.
View attachment 1715380426
Looking at the location of that gash on the mask, I can imagine that I would be minus a bunch of teeth (at least) if I hadn't had the full face mask on. I still have not found the brush; I think it went into orbit.
Please, please, please wear your PPE!!!

Why are you using a wire brush in a die grinder??? :realcrazy: :realcrazy: :realcrazy:

The instructions for the wire wheels have a recommended RPM limit which is much lower than a die grinder...

You should use the wire wheels in a drill or variable speed drill so you don't spin them too fast and have them fly apart...

But glad that you're ok and the mask took the hit.... :thumbsup:

3” cup brush?
You are kidding, right?
Never in a million years. Cup brush rated for my angle grinder, even then i dont like them. Wires fly and stick into everything.

i use the cheep HF ones in my die grinders until they're bald. work great. but ya, the wires remove themselves very well. :lol:
i always wear i face shield with any kind of wire wheel

I am glad you were uninjured when it let go. Its scary.
I had a head break off my air hammer bumping tool,1/2” thick and 1” in diameter. Still havent found it.
Yesterday a piece of angle iron left my cold saw,even though i was careful it flew. Lost it too.
I wear glasses,i requested safety lenses when i ordered them.
When you prepare for the worst ,the least should happen.
And the scar on your shield is a reminder you can never be too safe.

3” cup brush?
You are kidding, right?
Never in a million years. Cup brush rated for my angle grinder, even then i dont like them. Wires fly and stick into everything.
Yes they do.
Years back I had an inch in my crotch that kept bugging me. It would go away then come back. Turns out, a wire was stuck in my underwear and would poke my balls then not poke my balls. I work construction so I found a corner and pulled my pants down and looked and looked...Finally I found the wire strand and yanked it out.
Relief!

working with a grinder shaping a tool, something kicked up under my safety glasses and lodged into my right eye. I knew it was trouble when I could not blink to even move it let alone remove it. Had wife drive me to the optometrist and I walked in holding my printed macro lens pic I took of my eye with a digital camera, " I need this out! Can you help?" She looked at the pic and said "wow, nice pic!" She gave me a sedative eye drop and used a Q-tip to wipe up with a back-rolling motion to snag the shard and remove it. Instant relief! Charged me $40 for the office visit, best $40 I spent.
eyeball.jpg

working with a grinder shaping a tool, something kicked up under my safety glasses and lodged into my right eye. I knew it was trouble when I could not blink to even move it let alone remove it. Had wife drive me to the optometrist and I walked in holding my printed macro lens pic I took of my eye with a digital camera, " I need this out! Can you help?" She looked at the pic and said "wow, nice pic!" She gave me a sedative eye drop and used a Q-tip to wipe up with a back-rolling motion to snag the shard and remove it. Instant relief! Charged me $40 for the office visit, best $40 I spent.
View attachment 1715380686

That's why I wear safety goggles when doing the wire brushing... I had a similar experience with a chip from a die grinder when I was young.... Got a chip stuck in my eye and had to go to the first aid center near me to get it removed...

4 or 5 times i have had something similar in my eye. Or eyes.
And some even while wearing safety glasses.
I got a piece of debris in my eye walking outside on a windy day.
That one was the worst.

I got a piece of debris in my eye walking outside on a windy day.
That one was the worst.
I blew into a box of Tide laundry powder for some stupid reason and a big rock got into my eye. Soap in eye is one thing, but a grit of soap is worse: it stings like a mother and you cannot blink to try and get it out. took like 15 minutes of flushing it with water to dissolve.

3” cup brush?
You are kidding, right?
What's the rpm rating of the cup brush? 3000 rpm? What's the rpm of your grinder? 10,000rpm? See what is happening here?

I WAS wearing mine but bending over my chemical strip tank turned out to be a VERY bad idea. While rolling one of the new style Mopar Performance valve covers over -- that weigh ten pounds apiece (truly!) -- it got away from me. It splashed me right in the face and got past my safety glasses, nailing me good in the right eye. It's water soluable, so I flushed it (and flushed it some more) ... went in the house and took my contact lens out, and flushed it some more. It's been a few weeks since it happened and I'm still kind of fuzzy in that eye, almost like a cataract I imagine. The eye doctor advised me to let it heal up and go see him again so that's the plan. No idea yet if the damage is permanent.

I got one from a wire wheel. stayed in for a couple of days. Apparently the colored part of your eye heals very quickly. By the time the weekend was over and I got up enough sense to visit the eye doc, it had started to rust and break up. So, instead of one piece of wire....there were two more. Unfortunately, I can remember standing at the bench post incident wheeling without eye protection.....but I can be a slow learner.:lol:

Yes they do.
Years back I had an inch in my crotch that kept bugging me. It would go away then come back. Turns out, a wire was stuck in my underwear and would poke my balls then not poke my balls. I work construction so I found a corner and pulled my pants down and looked and looked...Finally I found the wire strand and yanked it out.
Relief!

Almost the same here , I was push mowing my lawn quite few yrs. back ,kept feeling something sticking my leg ,just thot it was grass. After a while , I pulled my pants leg up to reveal a wire out of my bench grinder stick in my leg.

I WAS wearing mine but bending over my chemical strip tank turned out to be a VERY bad idea. While rolling one of the new style Mopar Performance valve covers over -- that weigh ten pounds apiece (truly!) -- it got away from me. It splashed me right in the face and got past my safety glasses, nailing me good in the right eye. It's water soluable, so I flushed it (and flushed it some more) ... went in the house and took my contact lens out, and flushed it some more. It's been a few weeks since it happened and I'm still kind of fuzzy in that eye, almost like a cataract I imagine. The eye doctor advised me to let it heal up and go see him again so that's the plan. No idea yet if the damage is permanent.

CAN RELATE TO THAT, U OUGHT TO TRY A FULL SHOT OF LEAD ACID OUT OF A B-52 BATTERY , with no eye protection!! Talk about panic !~

I had a 4” grinder disk come apart one time, it imbedded about 1/2 of it in a wooden work bench, the other half went thru the drywall and exited out the outside of the metal building.
My co worker said he dropped the grinder earlier that day.
He got a good cussing.

Working with a survey crew doing prelim on a pipeline route. That called for traversing a lot of thick brush. Suddenly, the chainman dropped to the ground holding his crotch and screaming bloody murder. Took him to the emergency room. Doctor examined him and found a thorn over an inch long had gone through his pants and shorts and did a bullseye right up the end of his *****. One in a million chance. Everybody ELSE thought it was funny as hell.

I had a buddy at work airing up his boat tires for the first trip to the lake this year.
Tires 1 year old, he was adding air and the sidewall blowed out in his face.
His safety glasses saved his eyes, but the side of his face was tore up.
I asked him why he was wearing his safety glasses at home, when you do not wear glasses, he said, I feel naked without them after having to wear the last 25 years at work.
It saved his eyes from the flying tire belts.

CAN RELATE TO THAT, U OUGHT TO TRY A FULL SHOT OF LEAD ACID OUT OF A B-52 BATTERY , with no eye protection!! Talk about panic !~

This industrial powder and paint stripper I use typically strips anything down to bare metal in 15-30 minutes, and getting it on your skin is a definite no-no. It itches almost immediately but then the tissue damage can start if you don't rinse it off. There's another brand in my industry called B-17 that can actually BOIL magnesium and will eat aluminum overnight, but it's EPA-controlled for a reason and I absolutely refuse to have it in my shop. This stuff was bad enough, sheesh -- I won't do that stupid **** again.

Everytime Ive gotten something in my eyes it was while I was wearing safety glasses.Can anyone recommend a good pair of goggles that dont fog than can work in the winter and the summer?

Here is the one I bought. It ain't cheap, but man, it is effective. Got a good tight seal and very durable. It uses 2 P95 filter replaceable filter pads. It does not fog up even if I wear my glasses. I have sand blasted wearing my contact lenses, and had no problems. I have used it in hot weather, but not tried it in cold weather yet. A+ rating so far.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F0879Q/?tag=joeychgo-20

I have to wear PPE at work all the time, and i tend to apply that at home. Safety glasses minimum as well as steel toes depending what i am working on. Jack stands are mandatory if i am under something, seen too many guys get killed by a faulty o ring or someone accidentally bumps the car you're under.

-
Back