Weights of components

-

gregcon

Reaction score
One aspect of the automotive world that interests me is all the BS you hear about weights. So I bought a scale some time ago and weigh stuff when I have the chance. I'm going to post some pics and weights for your consideration. One pic I don't have anymore is of a Dana 60 - the God-awful heavy rear end Mopar used back in the day. It showed that it weighs within 10 lbs of an 8-3/4" rear....and the 8-3/4" is not that heavy, either.

8 .75 weight 212.JPG

426 Hemi block weight 290.JPG

440 weight low res.jpg

Weight 354 LR 700.JPG

400 block 226.JPG

526 weight 606.JPG

The early Hemi is a 354 all iron.

The Later Hemi is an iron mega block 526" with aluminum head and intake an is at 606lbs

The 440 is all iron other than the intake.

The 400 block is bare block stock bore 226lbs

The Hemi block is the iron Mega block at 290lbs. This is un-bored weight so it would be lower after boring.

The 8-3/4" is out of a 58 Chrysler and is wider than any A-body setup, therefore heavier.

If you check out the drivetrain forum, I posted some numbers of actually weighed rear axles, the 8.25 is within 10# of the 8.75, and the BBP 7.25 w/10" brakes is about 20# from
that. the old school 7.25 is light, around 135#. These are all "A" rears, me no haba
no Dana, so that's up to someone else.

Id like to see how much a A-833 weighs, damn those bas**rds are heavy. Almost a 3 man job especially when your on a lift and have to go up 6 ft lol

All-Aluminum,Passon-case A833 long-tail I think is 83 pounds, down in 17 minutes, along with the GV behind it, the shifter off, and the dual 3" pipes from the TTIs to the TPs. Back in is a lil slower, but 83 pounds under a 4-post hoist is a one-man,yank it up,and slam it home, deal.Well it was 10 years ago at age 53. Today? Actually I think I am stronger today, so Ima thinkin back in, in 10! Kidding!

Aluminum 833 would be nice. Im still old school i guess hoisting that heavy iron up in there.

My S was fast becoming a pig, I had to do something. Since he was already supplying me with the 3.09 gearset, I asked him to throw that and one of his aluminum sidecovers in as well, and saved a million dollars in shipping, customs, excise and whatever else YR mentioned.I saved so much that day, I was able to treat my self to some cocoa, some Snickers AND hootch,..lol. Actually it did allow me to leave the 2.66 tranny together for resale so, some day I guess I'll list it for sale,lol . That was 2004....................
I seem to remember the all-C.I.,long-tail 833 being around 118 lbs. So if you are hoisting that up and in, holding it there with one arm, while engaging the clutch with the other; and live through it?, you are doing super. Whatever you are eating, don't stop.
BTW, I cheat; I install line-up pins in the lower two holes. For me it's; up, onto the pins, spin the m/s to engage the clutch, and slam her home; 1-2-3-4, Shazzam! Takes about as long to do,as it takes me to type this bit out.OK,WAIT, that was over 10 years ago, I was a lot younger in those days.

Last edited:
My S was fast becoming a pig, I had to do something. Since he was already supplying me with the 3.09 gearset, I asked him to throw that and one of his aluminum sidecovers in as well, and saved a million dollars in shipping, customs, excise and whatever else YR mentioned.I saved so much that day, I was able to treat my self to some cocoa, some Snickers AND hootch,..lol. Actually it did allow me to leave the 2.66 tranny together for resale so, some day I guess I'll list it for sale,lol . That was 2004....................
I seem to remember the all-C.I.,long-tail 833 being around 118 lbs. So if you are hoisting that up and in, holding it there with one arm, while engaging the clutch with the other; and live through it?, you are doing super. Whatever you are eating, don't stop.
BTW, I cheat; I install line-up pins in the lower two holes. For me it's; up, onto the pins, spin the m/s to engage the clutch, and slam her home; 1-2-3-4, Shazzam! Takes about as long to do,as it takes me to type this bit out.OK,WAIT, that was over 10 years ago, I was a lot younger in those days.
I used to carry my hemi blocks up the hill in the driveway to put in my pick up too, but the last time I lifted a sbc, it felt about like the hemi. won`t even attempt it now !

If you ever drop an 833 on your knuckle during a failed attempt at lifting it into position...your life's priorities will quickly be rearranged....

Ok, enough chit-chat......... back to hanging things!:D Carefully.........

Here's a fresh one, and one that is a little more ancestral for the A-body crowd...

Desoto 341 Hemi bare block (with motor mounts) and main caps 204lbs. W/O main caps 192lbs.

Desoto 341 block.JPG

Desoto 341 block weight w caps.JPG

Oh....if it fell..so what? It's a well-used engine and nothing underneath it.

But really....if you look at the strength of a single 5/16-18 bolt, then multiply it over 4 well-spaced holes, you'll see it's plenty strong. All the thread are in good shape. It's only 162 lbs per bolt...that's less than most women weigh. I can't imagine Bertha being picked up by a 5/16 bolt and causing it to break.

I've been at the scrapyard and seen the crane operators lift entire cast iron V8's with all the accessories, and auto trans, using a chain attached to a single 5/16 bolt screwed into the aluminum alternator. And they were jerking it around...no easy lifting.

Disasters only happen when you care about what you're lifting lol.

Desoto block* as above 192lbs. with A488 trans, no converter - 386lbs. With converter 430lbs. So, the converter weighs 44lbs and the trans 194lbs.

* main caps are off so that's 12lbs.

Desoto 341 head with valves and springs

Desoto 341 head 64lbs.JPG

Desoto  341 with trans and converter.JPG

Anyone here man enough to put his wife on a scale and show the result? (the weight, and maybe also the resulting bodily harm done by said wife) ... lol

I will have a look around to see if I can come up with a scale like that.
There are a few things I would like to know the weight of myself, like a A518 transmission for instance.

-
Back