Weird Action from my 66 cuda..

-

DECIPHER

Reaction score
i had it up to change a flat tire now it wont start or turn over unless i hit the gas pedal.

lower unibody mount under drivers door. nothing special. Its just funny jumped in and hit key, nothing lights all everything. dont always pump because i have the car running good and didnt even think of that so i keep hitting key and nothing no click no nothing from starter. One pump on pedal and kit key again this time starter cranks just fine. just weird.

lower unibody mount under drivers door. nothing special. Its just funny jumped in and hit key, nothing lights all everything. dont always pump because i have the car running good and didnt even think of that so i keep hitting key and nothing no click no nothing from starter. One pump on pedal and kit key again this time starter cranks just fine. just weird.
that really is super strange... has this been the case more than once? - as in, if you were to go out there right now, would you have to tap the gas pedal to get it to start??

it did it twice once yesterday after i installed the wheel and then yesterday afternoon after i went to leave work. turns just fine and fires just fine after and has always stared fine before. I have previously jacked in the same spot when i was under checking things but that was it. it doesnt make any logical sense to my brain knowing what i do.

it did it twice once yesterday after i installed the wheel and then yesterday afternoon after i went to leave work. turns just fine and fires just fine after and has always stared fine before. I have previously jacked in the same spot when i was under checking things but that was it. it doesnt make any logical sense to my brain knowing what i do.
true enough - there shouldn't be any wires anywhere near the gas pedal... best guess - starter wire interference of some kind..?????

Neutral safety switch may be getting a bump from the kickdown linkage. Try readjusting the neutral safety switch. Or see if the wire is loose and rubbing on the linkage.

i can check that i tired shifting and putting in neutral and back in park etc nothing made a difference. in the past when i got it i got the switch in the console adjusted and have never had a problem after. that did not make any change now just the tap of the gas pedal.

Something is wiggling the wire to the neutral safety switch and the only way the gas pedal could realistically be doing so is via the kick down. May be a loose connector or a wire routing issue. You can eliminate the switch itself by seeing if it still won't start in gears other than park or neutral.

the neutral saftey is the one under the console correct? only allows starting in park and neutral. being its inside under the console that is only moved when you shift the floor console. There isnt another under the car is there?

It is on the drivers side of the transmission under the shift linkage depending on which year transmission may be one or 3 wires..... 66 may be different...

the neutral saftey is the one under the console correct? only allows starting in park and neutral. being its inside under the console that is only moved when you shift the floor console. There isnt another under the car is there?
yes there is - attached to the drivers side of the transmission - looks like a plug with wires going into it - black.

it does seem like the 66 may well have one wire.. goes onto something like this
TF6-904-TF8-727-Neutral-Safety-Switch-1965.jpg

Yeah that looks like my 68 as well. I think the only switch inside the car is for the back up lights.

Might also check and see if the bell crank on the kickdown on the manifold linkage is rubbing or wiggling wires at the bulkhead connector. May also have a loose connector at the bulkhead that has the yellow ground wire in it for the starter relay....

Maybe his engine is grounding through the throttle shaft and cable.
Scary huh? :D

I have good Grounds and good connections i will check the sensor and again check all the contacts as this just happened and was out of place.

I have good Grounds and good connections i will check the sensor and again check all the contacts as this just happened and was out of place.

Oh ok. :D
Interesting, that is what a lot of people with cars that don't start say.

Start at your battery connections and work your way down to the starter checking them anyway.
Humor me, and you might find out what is doing it, even if that isn't it.

-
Back