Weird noise from 742 chunk

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Been getting a weird whistling/whining noise from the front of my 742. It only does it sporadically when idling at low speed (5-15mph) after about 30 minutes of brisk driving and a few high RPM pulls. Best we can tell it seems to be coming from the front of the chunk, yoke/pinion seal area. Car runs great, no gear noise, vibration or signs of gear damage when driving. Also does it when rolling slowly in neutral, forward and backwards. For example, it does it when rolling backwards down my driveway in neutral at 1-2 mph. Does not do make noise when car is not rolling. Replaced vent bolt, oil level full. Though noticed some oil leaking from the pinion seal. I'm stumped.

Here's a video. Was rolling at about 5mph and idling to a stop.

Thanks in advance,
Pat

Video sounds like a ring and pinion noise !! I would get under the vehicle and see if the pinion is loose!! Like maybe the pinion nut has backed off !

...or maybe the tailshaft bushing has spun. Hope not. Have you greased the U-Joints?

...or maybe the tailshaft bushing has spun. Hope not. Have you greased the U-Joints?

Are you referring to the transmission tail shaft?
I haven't greased ujoints since I replaced them about 18 mo ago. I'll take a peek. Thx

Video sounds like a ring and pinion noise !! I would get under the vehicle and see if the pinion is loose!! Like maybe the pinion nut has backed off !

Thanks, I'll get a socket on it and check it out. Should be about 200-225 ft lbs correct?

May be a dry pinion seal. Spray some oil on the seal.

I'll give it a try! Though I rarely get that lucky with these sort of things LOL.
Thx

Thanks for the responses fellas. I appreciate it. I'll keep digging and chipping away at the issue.

Be well and enjoy the holiday,
Pat

Are you referring to the transmission tail shaft?
I haven't greased ujoints since I replaced them about 18 mo ago. I'll take a peek. Thx

Thanks, I'll get a socket on it and check it out. Should be about 200-225 ft lbs correct?

That’s sounds correct on the torque ! I would have to look to be 100 %

I'll give it a try! Though I rarely get that lucky with these sort of things LOL.
Thx

Thanks for the responses fellas. I appreciate it. I'll keep digging and chipping away at the issue.

Be well and enjoy the holiday,
Pat

Realized I never closed the loop on this one. Turns out the noise is coming from a bad passenger side wheel bearing that would make the noise when it got hot. Will be replacing the bearings in the next month or so.

Thanks again for the assistance while I was trouble shooting!

I would have bet a whole dollar that was pinion bearing noise.

-
Back