weirdest engine

-

MitchDart

1964 Dart 270 Owner
Reaction score
Just wondering how far out it gets. What's the weirdest most unexpected engine you've ever put in an A body or heard of going into one. I'm hoping somebody put a 4-banger Japanese motor in one - just for variety.

Yeah we got a member here putting some kinda FWD 4 cyl Chrysler engine in an early A. He's mountin it in longitudinal like the original slant and backing it with a 5 speed I believe. I forget who it is. Maybe he will chime in. It's a DOHC motor of some sort if that helps.

Yeah we got a member here putting some kinda FWD 4 cyl Chrysler engine in an early A. He's mountin it in longitudinal like the original slant and backing it with a 5 speed I believe. I forget who it is. Maybe he will chime in. It's a DOHC motor of some sort if that helps.

It's a 2.4L SRT4 engine. Should be pretty entertaining when it's done, I know my SRT4 was a lot of fun.

But I don't think that's the weirdest. How about a diesel powered Dart? And I think someone converted an A-body into an electric car?

Here's the info on a D33 powered '68 Dart...

Screen%20Shot%202013-08-15%20at%2010.53.15%20PM%20copy_zpsdcwootno.jpg

I like standard 8 or /6 power,for a bodies,not reduced to see a different idea. There are so many ways to make power nowadays.

A friend and I are actually looking at a Ford Super Duty 534 gas engine. They were made from the 60s all the way through the 80s. In fire trucks and the like. The engine with bare necessities like just the alternator and belts weighs right at 1000 pounds. But could you imagine what that would do in a light rat rod? Not to mention how different it would be. It looks like no other Ford engine at all.

Here is the beast. Just for size reference, I know yall recognize the Carter AFB on top. LOL

Attachments

• 534 SUPER DUTY.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 985
The water pump on that Ford looks like a belt drive blower :D

That's an awesome engine there, Rob.
The only thing at a glance that looks Ford on it to me is the distributor position.
Any more pictures at different angles and specs?
That's definitely a dare to be different engine.......

would like do a srt 4 mid engine early A or there's a race version of the LA engine but only a 4 cylinder so it would be a slant 4 and they run W series head.

I would think it would be neat to install a jap 6cyl engine into an abody. Something along the line of a 2jz or rb26. Both are I6 and have twin turbos stock, would be pretty neat to see alright.

I seen a 69 Sport Satellite wagon here in MN with a Diesel engine in it, I'll get pics up later :glasses7:

2 stroke motorcycle engine ran to a straight axle chain driven. that would be hilarious so much engine bay room lol

Just wondering how far out it gets. What's the weirdest most unexpected engine you've ever put in an A body or heard of going into one. I'm hoping somebody put a 4-banger Japanese motor in one - just for variety.

I'd rather see an A body run through a chipper shredder than run a jap motor. Before you call me a hater, you better educate yourself on the unfair trade deals this nation does with japan.

A friend and I are actually looking at a Ford Super Duty 534 gas engine. They were made from the 60s all the way through the 80s. In fire trucks and the like. The engine with bare necessities like just the alternator and belts weighs right at 1000 pounds. But could you imagine what that would do in a light rat rod? Not to mention how different it would be. It looks like no other Ford engine at all.

Here is the beast. Just for size reference, I know yall recognize the Carter AFB on top. LOL

The ford marine super duty was twin turbocharged too! Now that I'd pay a dollar to see in a rat rod.

For those considering modern Mopar but not new Hemi prices, I have pondered the 3.8L V-6 in my 2002 minivan. It is a push-rod engine, so lower profile than most OHC or DOHC engines, but still looks like the hood might interfere. Under the valve cover looks familiar with shaft-mounted rockers. In 2001, they even switched to welded steel rockers that look like slant six hydraulic ones. A RWD version came in some Jeep Wranglers starting 2007 w/ 6-spd auto tranny (photo, probably need to re-work the car's hump). The 3.3/3.8L has a narrower V than Magnum V-6 engines. The later were basically 45 deg V-8 blocks w/ 2 cylinders chopped off (not ideal for vibrations). The Jeep engines are tuned more for torque than HP, so perhaps one could swap an engine controller from a minivan to realize the full 245 HP (imagine that). If you want more, a supercharger kit is available for a mere $5200. The 3.8L accelerates my 4500 lb minivan well, so I imagine it would move a 2500 lb Dart very fast. Jeeps later changed to the new 4.0L V-6, but probably too new to find cheap at the junkyards. Even the 2007 Wranglers are probably a wait game. Also, the 3.5L RWD in the Plymouth Prowler, but dream about finding that cheap.

Attachments

• 3,8L RWD in 2007 Jeep Wrangler.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 752
Rob, you'd need 1.18 torsion bars just to keep yourself off the bumpstops!

I'd rather see an A body run through a chipper shredder than run a jap motor. Before you call me a hater, you better educate yourself on the unfair trade deals this nation does with japan.

So you'd rather destroy an Abody, than give it new life, simply because politicians are greedy? That's rediculously ignorant logic! Regardless of how crooked our government is, do you really think buying a used Toyota engine or destroying an Abody would tilt the scales in one way or another?!

Build what you want regardless of anything or anybody else! Don't make general blanket statements about things that doesn't really effect hot rodding! That's narrowminded as hell!

I personally would love to see a complete EvoIX drivetrain in a early Abody! Easy 500hp, 8000rpm, all wheel drive and a great 6speed gear box!

Build what you want regardless of anything or anybody else! Don't make general blanket statements about things that doesn't really effect hot rodding! That's narrowminded as hell!

I personally would love to see a complete EvoIX drivetrain in a early Abody! Easy 500hp, 8000rpm, all wheel drive and a great 6speed gear box!

Yea so, I like my narrow mind. If you want to stuff a turbo up a hamsters butt and stick it in a Pinto, feel free. It's a free country. The funny part is I'm called narrow minded over this and when someone post up a picture of a 68 Dart sitting on a 4WD drivetrain off a ramcharger and the haters come a flocking no one says anything about being narrow minded. Hmmm

Personally I'd like to see a tunnel rammed 440 in an early A with some gnarly big fenderwell exit headers poking around the front tires and a redhead with big cans strapped in the drivers seat.

I'd like to see that too! I'm still holding on to an entire straight axle setup to throw in a an early A gasser!

I by far prefer traditional built rods, but I applaud creativity and ingenuity on all the oddball custom builds too!

Couldn't find the pic,
But years ago I was prowling around the junk yard and I found a 70 Duster with a chevy straight 6 in it, with a chevy 3 speed manual trans.

Yea so, I like my narrow mind. If you want to stuff a turbo up a hamsters butt and stick it in a Pinto, feel free. It's a free country. The funny part is I'm called narrow minded over this and when someone post up a picture of a 68 Dart sitting on a 4WD drivetrain off a ramcharger and the haters come a flocking no one says anything about being narrow minded. Hmmm

Personally I'd like to see a tunnel rammed 440 in an early A with some gnarly big fenderwell exit headers poking around the front tires and a redhead with big cans strapped in the drivers seat.

How big are these ''cans'' you speak of?
And how did they get so big?

-
Back