Weld on sway bar tabs

-

yellow rose

Overnight Sensation
Reaction score
I’m swapping out my spool Mount K member for the 67-72 unit. I have an awesome K member and lower control arms that are like brand new, minus the surface rust.

The issue is I’m going to retain the factory sway bar but my LCA’s don’t have the tab on them. I can make them, but if I can I’d rather buy them.

Any suggestions??

TIA
YR

I'm betting they're all the same just put in a different spot depending on the application, why retool for such a basic part ~ anyone?

My old '69s for comparison if it helps.……..

upload_2020-5-14_12-29-5.png

FYI
Factory style sway bar mount tabs for the 65-72 A body line of cars, are not reproduced by any of the aftermarket manufacturer's that i am aware of.

The ones in Daves69 overview are for the 70-72 B bodies, and 70-74 E bodies, and 73-76 A bodies.

Thanks everyone. Firm Feel has some bolt on units. I’m thinking about those, but I’ll look into the Hotchkis units as well.

If you're concerned with them looking original, you'll have to find a set of original tabbed LCA's.

If you just want them to work, the ones made by Hotchkis will work just fine. They just don't look original. Bergman Autocraft also makes a set of tabs, not sure if they're the manufacturer or just selling the Hotchkis parts though.

If you're concerned with them looking original, you'll have to find a set of original tabbed LCA's.

If you just want them to work, the ones made by Hotchkis will work just fine. They just don't look original. Bergman Autocraft also makes a set of tabs, not sure if they're the manufacturer or just selling the Hotchkis parts though.
I really don't think so, without a lot of grinding on them, to mate up to the bottom of the LCA, not like the B body one's, welded on the top end of the arm.
But i personally never have tried to weld B body ones on, for an A body application sway bar.

I really don't think so, without a lot of grinding on them, to mate up to the bottom of the LCA, not like the B body one's, welded on the top end of the arm.
But i personally never have tried to weld B body ones on, for an A body application sway bar.

It'll work. The tabs aren't exact reproductions of the B or 73+ tabs either. The tab itself will not sit at the exact same vertical level as the original tabs did and you may have to bend them open a little to clear the strut rod. The height can be corrected pretty easily with the length of the end links if it needs to be. The end link bushings are pretty thick and forgiving.

It'll work. The tabs aren't exact reproductions of the B or 73+ tabs either. The tab itself will not sit at the exact same vertical level as the original tabs did and you may have to bend them open a little to clear the strut rod. The height can be corrected pretty easily with the length of the end links if it needs to be. The end link bushings are pretty thick and forgiving.
The 66-69 B body tabs also mount thru the shock absorber mounting bolt hole, which the A body mounts don't have a need for.
How much of a modification has to be done to the B body ones?
You ever do this for any of your cars?
I'd like to know, for future knowledge about this.

The 66-69 B body tabs also mount thru the shock absorber mounting bolt hole, which the A body mounts don't have a need for.
How much of a modification has to be done to the B body ones?
You ever do this for any of your cars?
I'd like to know, for future knowledge about this.

The tab would likely have to be removed, but I haven't done this on any of my cars because I haven't made use of a stock sway bar on a 67-72 car. I have a Hotchkis bar with their generic tabs (not B body) tabs. The #23367 tabs would be easier to use I think, these are the 23367's
img_5730-jpeg.jpg

These are the 23366's, I would think the tab would have to be cut on these.
HSS-23366_xl.jpg

View attachment 1715528155
Hotchkiss # 23366
Mopar Style
I (we) get it.
Those are B body ones.
Compare those side by side, with the picture(s) of your official A body ones, and tell me how much cutting, grinding, modifications, are needed to use for an A body application.

You notice Hotchkis sells them, advertises them, for 66-69 B body applications, as they are for those cars.
Hotchkis doesn't say anything about using them on A bodies, as i can tell, they need modifications to an application that they aren't really meant to be.
But anything's possible with a bit of injunity, i guess,
That's what hot rodding is all about.

Last edited:
There was someone making them as a side business/hobby. Not sure if I ever had the name and contact info.
One of these guys may remember and know more @clair.davis @autoxcuda

for what it's worth, i used the classic ind style ones on a 74' with a stock front bar and they worked fine. bolted everything together to see where they wanted to locate on the arms and welded them up

Do you think the 66-69 B body ones would work if they were welded on the lower control arm, in the B body location?
instead of the A body location?
Or would the sway bar interfere with the strut rod?
Anybody out there in the peanut gallery, ever try that?
Then the B body ones wouldn't have to be modified.

I only know of the hotchkis ones.

I would just manipulate 66-69 B-body tabs
OK. I searched the older Mopax archives. Clair posted the contact info for the guy. First name Wayne.
Anyone interested in his full name and e-mail, send me a PM or email.
I have no idea if he's still making them or if the contact info is even valid. That was April 2004

OK. I searched the older Mopax archives. Clair posted the contact info for the guy. First name Wayne.
Anyone interested in his full name and e-mail, send me a PM or email.
I have no idea if he's still making them or if the contact info is even valid. That was April 2004
2004??
After 16 years, you've got to be kidding me.

-
Back