Welders

-

EvanS

Reaction score
What welder do you use for you car projects? Any recommendations for an affordable welder?

My opinion, find a good used one if you don't have the money for a new one. Stay with name brands and those that are SUPPORTED LOCALLY by your welding store if you have one and NOT the "big box" stores like Lowes

If you are "talking" MIG, then get one that can take a gas kit if it does not have one. I don't do much "delicate" (body) work, so what I use almost exclusively for gas is straight plain old CO2. It is incredibly less expensive than Argon/CO2 mix (CO2 is a liquid) and lasts a long time.

I have a little Lincoln 140? 120V that I bought "like new" used, and later bought a Lincoln 180. It has pretty much welded all I have needed to weld

When I built the junk Cletrac (Toyotrac? Cleota?) the 180 is what was used
Junk Cletrac, no model, engine swap candidate What model?
2w53yhg.jpg

Had to rebuild the clutch linkage
256wq34.jpg

fd93lc.jpg

Erecting the two post hoist

2ry6jwz.jpg

Last edited:
At home I use a Miller 211. Great machine for the money and can handle anything you could ever run into on a car. If I have to stick, TIG, or Carbon Arc I bring home my Miller Trailblazer.

What welder do you use for you car projects? Any recommendations for an affordable welder?

By the way some idea of your budget would be a help. "Affordable" is a vast desert depending on your money situation

I really like the Hobart 140 handler, or the 180, for most automotive projects any 140 amp welder will do fine, but as stated above, get a brand name welder. Some welders look good on the outside, but it's what's inside that counts

I have a Hobart 140 handler. I love it. Easy to use. Parts are readily available at places such as rural king, truck and tractor supply, etc....you can use gas or flux.

I have a Hobart 140 handler. I love it. Easy to use. Parts are readily available at places such as rural king, truck and tractor supply, etc....you can use gas or flux.
Eastwood 175 mig, comes w/ an alum. spool gun too. Can`t remember wheather its made by miller or Hobart, one of the two. Mine works fantastic. I`ve used it on car body metal, (68 barracuda) and up to 1/4" steel.

Eastwood 175 mig, comes w/ an alum. spool gun too. Can`t remember wheather its made by miller or Hobart, one of the two. Mine works fantastic. I`ve used it on car body metal, (68 barracuda) and up to 1/4" steel.

We have an Eastwood welder too, according to my buddy who works at Miller electric right down the road from me, they don't make these welders for Eastwood. I was always under the impression they did also, oh yeah Miller owns Hobart too so there small migs are all the same components, and are great welders. But yes, the Eastwood welders are very nice for the money, only weak point I see is the plastic drive cover, ours broke twice but the fixed it no problems.

I use a Lincoln 180 230V in my shop but now both miller and Lincoln make 110/230V setups and that is what I would buy now. Some info on how you plan to use one and how often would help you get better recommendations. If you plan to use it fairly regularly I would recommend one of the 180 machines set up for shielding gas. If you just plan for an occasional use you can probably get by with a 140 110V. I would recommend one with both voltage and wire speed infinitely adjustable and not the click settings some of the cheaper units come with. If you plan for welding light metal make sure it is set up for gas. If you plan to use it a fair amount save up for the larger machines, you won't be sorry.

I use a Lincoln 180 230V in my shop but now both miller and Lincoln make 110/230V setups and that is what I would buy now. Some info on how you plan to use one and how often would help you get better recommendations. If you plan to use it fairly regularly I would recommend one of the 180 machines set up for shielding gas. If you just plan for an occasional use you can probably get by with a 140 110V. I would recommend one with both voltage and wire speed infinitely adjustable and not the click settings some of the cheaper units come with. If you plan for welding light metal make sure it is set up for gas. If you plan to use it a fair amount save up for the larger machines, you won't be sorry.

Thank you for the feedback. I will be using it for light welding. I'm a newb when it comes to welding, but my fil is going to teach me and he welds for a living, but on bigger welders than what i would buy, so he wasnt much help on that end.

I've had my Hobart 140 for several years now. I just added gas a month or so ago. I've used it with the gas (75/25) for a couple of projects. Well worth the upgrade from flux. It's been a good welder. Hobart is made by Miller.

I agree with grimreaper. Buy a welder that has the infinite control for the voltage and not the click type. I have been repairing welders for 25 years now and have seen many come in for "repair" that had absolutely nothing wrong with them except the user (usually new to welding) could not get the settings where they needed to be. Hobart is the entry level line for Miller now. Pretty much the same welder with some cheaper components to get it to the lower price point. The Lincoln welders sold at the big box stores are the same for Lincoln. The Eastwood machines are some pretty good machines. The basically took the older Lincoln and Miller mig welders and melded them into what they have.

Miller, Lincoln, Hobart in that order as far as quality. If you order one online you will be chasing after consumables and parts forever. The model the local welder supply sells is the one you want. They have tips, gas shields, liners, guns, and all the stuff you will need to replace in the life of your welder. You will be buying shielding gas from them anyway.

I have a Lincoln 110v and I did subframe connectors with it. Very tough little machine.

I would say don't skimp on a welder. I have messed with cheapo ones before and a welder is not an item to be over frugal with.

Yep, like Rainy I have the little Lincoln 110V. Great little welder for a weekend mechanic like me. Used it to repair the floors and weld in my subframe connectors (And many other misc tasks around the property). It'll handle anything from the thin stuff up to 1/8" material. Should work real nice when I tackle the body work too.

I bought a Hobart TR 250 AC / DC at a public auction for $50 with 80foot of leads with it. One is 50ft an the ground is 30. One of the Best Buy's I've made at an auction.

I have a Hobart 140. It welds everything on a car that I need. I use it on a dedicated 110 volt, 30 amp circuit, in my garage.
Miller does not own Hobart. Both Miller, and Hobart, are owned and operated by Illinois Tool Works. ITW owns lots of tool brands, to many to list.

barracudadave67

I use a Miller 211 MIG and a Syncrowave 180 TIG. I really like both of them.

Garry

-
Back