Welders

-

Thomas Dennis

Reaction score
How many of you have the Eastwood Mig 175 welder? Mine is acting up and I was wondering if someone else has had the same issue. The wire spool that goes on the shaft inside the machine is tightening up against the wing nut preventing the spool from turning. I can't figure out why this is happening. The spool gets so tight against wing nut that it is hard to remove the wing nut.

I might have that one, I'll have to check when I get home

Regardless, first thing I would do is flip the spool so the wire comes of the other end and it runs counter clock wise

Is/ was there a spindle inside the spool that got tossed out with the last empty?

Here is a shot of my MIG 135
As you can tell, mine comes of the bottom and runs clockwise
You can also clearly see the spindle Del mentioned

20211011_192449.jpg

How about wacking the wingnut on its side with a hammer to make it tighter on the threaded shaft. Like a nylock, or a castle type lock nut

I would put spool on large washer spring small washer then wing nut in that order, you only need enough tension to keep it from free wheeling

If the wingnut is against the spool, the turning of spool will tighten nut. Put a washer next to spool, maybe even a little syn grease.

My Hobart has a nylock nut and it stays put. Would like to snag a wing nut version so I don’t have to hunt up a wrench when I change spools.

That is supposed to have a nylon spacer like this that goes between the spool and the wing nut that keeps it from doing that
image.jpg

The nylock nut seems to have stopped the problem. I did try another wingnut but it would do the same thing. The machine never had that nylon spacer. I'm so happy I don't have to purchase a new welder right now. Thanks guys/girls

-
Back