Welding Helmets

-

moparspares

Reaction score
I have a cheaper $70 generic self darkening helmet but I see helmets as much as $500. Is there big differences in their performances the more you pay or are more or less paying for a brand name.

Yes you get what you pay for to a point. I have not found much advantage at all with the pricey ones but the low budgets probably work for a hobby welder. I have found the 200-300 dollar ones are just about right if you wear one for a living. I am not uber brand loyal but the mid range Millers seem to be robust and function reliably. I do not treat mine kindly. To me it is just another tool. Kinda like what's under it!

The harbor freight and cheap Lincoln’s have non replaceable batteries in them, so they only work for a few years then they are toast.

Some of the more expensive units have a faster reaction time meaning less exposure to the UV & other nasties.
Also some have better low light transparency good for finding that tig bead with tired eyes

For the guy that melts things together now and then, they probably figure "good enough". Is there a difference...oh, hell yeah. I'm a Miller guy, but I occasionally put on somebody's Speedglas or Jackson (also top shelf) on a job when I don't wanna walk to my truck. You are paying for more than a name. You have more adjustment on shade, sensitivity, and delay. Also comfort is not even debatable. It may sound like nitpicking, but a good helmet WILL make you a better welder. Learn what the settings do and use them to your advantage. I am multiprocess everyday. Arc, mig, Tig, plasma, CA gouging, ect. Even if all you ever do is mig... it's not one setting does it all. Your amperage can completely change your settings. Most people get intimidated by options, but they are there for a reason. It's really quite simple to learn a high end helmet...and you'll weld better and avoid eye problems too.

I just went through this with my buddy that had a Jackson helmet and the battery's went bad and were welded in. I have a Miller and it works great, I have had it for 10 years with no problems. It does have a On button that you have to push, that is the only thing I don't like.

...and if you want a specific recommendation... I use a Miller digital elite. It's a mid grade helmet. I can justify spending anything on a helmet, but this is what I like. It's a mid grade helmet that I like. It fits my head, I like the lightweight, and I do a lot of structural mig. The settings work well for me and what I do. A great hood for hobby/car guys too. It can dial down for plasma, ramp up for CA gouging, and can cover almost anything in between. For crazy heavy multipass arc I have an old Jackson that I like.

I just went through this with my buddy that had a Jackson helmet and the battery's went bad and were welded in. I have a Miller and it works great, I have had it for 10 years with no problems. It does have a On button that you have to push, that is the only thing I don't like.
You're probably used to it though, so it's second nature. My Miller hoods "time out" too, but I don't mind. It's a reflex now. I know to tap the screen before I pull an arc.

You're probably used to it though, so it's second nature. My Miller hoods "time out" too, but I don't mind. It's a reflex now. I know to tap the screen before I pull an arc.

Yep

Well I can tell some of you guys have some trigger time. It amazes me how I can grind, cut, weld, plasma with one hood. It's also amazing how well I can drag(or push) a puddle from the get go when you aren't getting flashed.

I certainly don't miss the days of fixed shade. From initial arc to the finish I can be consistent. No more guessing on start point or waiting for your eyes to adjust.

We owned a ATV shop and sold helmets. Mothers and fathers would come in and asked what helmet to buy. I would tell them if your kid has a $5.00 head get em a $5.00 helmet. They would always spend more money then. They would never admit if their kid head wasn't normal.

Its the same thing with a welding helmet. If you don't think your eyes are worth a lot then don't spend a lot.

A good welding helmet is critical. Not only for your protection, but also for the quality of your work. I have a miller Elite that is very nice, but to be honest, it really isn't much better than this one, which can be had for around 100 bucks. I've used the Antra for MIG and TIG work, and it's light, comfortable and has very good optics. The lenses are replaceable, and the helmet will accept the slide in magnifier lenses that we "men of a certain age" find handy. For the price, it's about the best I've ever seen.
Antra Welding Helmet Auto Darkening AH7-X90-0000
https://www.amazon.com/Antra-AH7-X90-0000-Controlled-Darkening-Grinding/dp/B078RX835K/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=welding+helmet&qid=1561821283&refinements=p_89%3AAntra&rnid=2528832011&s=gateway&sr=8-10

Old man Mopar nails it. It's your damn eyes. Don't be cheap.

The harbor freight and cheap Lincoln’s have non replaceable batteries in them, so they only work for a few years then they are toast.

a few years is 8 right? since that's what one of mine is. A late 2010 as a gift from the wife (I didn't tell her I bought a new miller helmet and every time she's out near the garage I have to use the HF one) or a friend uses it when hecomes over to watch me weld something of his,which seems to happen a lot.

I love my 3M Speedglas 9100 series. I was unable to find it, but it's around somewhere. Bought it on ebay for about $90, and replaced all the beat and broken parts for about $30.

Last edited:
a few years is 8 right? since that's what one of mine is. A late 2010 as a gift from the wife (I didn't tell her I bought a new miller helmet and every time she's out near the garage I have to use the HF one) or a friend uses it when hecomes over to watch me weld something of his,which seems to happen a lot.

I have two of them, a harbor freight and a cheap Lowe’s Lincoln. The batteries lasted about 3 years in both of them. Pretty frustrating as I did not understand that when I bought them. I actually sawed them open and replaced the batteries, so they are back in service. My son & I are hobby welders, so they don’t get used regularly. We may use them a lot for a project, but then they may sit for weeks / months.

I have a Holbert Hood, I picked up cheap $20 at Tractor Supply, it was mis-priced, it is solar powered and works good for as little as I use it.
One time last winter I struck a arc, and the battery was not charged, you will notice that fast.
The helmet is a huge improvement over the old flip hood I had.
I have had both my eyes bandaged from flash burns in the past, it hurts like hell, you only have one set of eyes, take care of them.

My $70 one is good but the only problem i have is seeing what Im welding sometimes. If there is very little ambient light I struggle to see. Now I dont know if thats the Helmet, my eyesight or adjustment. Sometimes I just run a chalk mark down the join so I can see where im going. I wondered if a more expensive helmet would help. By the way I am NO tradesman welder just a hack.

I have trouble seeing in low light anytime anymore, welding or not. My garage is full of headlights, trouble lights, flashlights, etc.

long ago I looked at a high price one and the HF one....the very same automatic lens was in both helmets verified by the part number on the lens....if I recall, it was the Holbart at TSC at that time...yes, years ago..but just thought I would make mention of this fact...

My harbor freight and my Lincoln had the exact same electronics in them too.

-
Back