Welding Jacket Recommendation

Shop, Garage and Tools

1. gzig5

gzig5 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:46 PM
    I need a leather welding jacket. I don't think the cloth ones will stand up to all the inverted welding I have in front of me as I replace the rockers, floors and trunk. I had to patch the trunk and frame rail last year and got toasted underneath the car. Got the scars to prove it. I think I'd like a convert-able cape type jacket that would cover the whole front or just sleeves and shoulders. I also see a sleeved apron on Amazon that looks good but might be tough to move around in. I'm 6'2" and 230 pounds so would probably need a 2XL these days. Looking for suggestions.

2. Tooljunkie

Tooljunkie King of cobble/master of the broken bolt FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    The cloth type are way cooler, i roast every time i wear my leather one. I wear it, as it offers good protection.
    The cloth one i wore at work had leather sleeves. It was suitable.

3. Slowswinger

Slowswinger Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:46 PM
    I picked up a brand new no name all leather welding jacket off ebay last year for 40 something including shipping. I don’t use it every day but the quality seems good.

4. gzig5

gzig5 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Well hopefully, a lot of the work will get done this winter, and I don't have a problem being too warm out there from Oct - June. I never used a cloth one but read reviews where they aren't as suitable for overhead work as the hot blobs can sit and burn through.

5. frozenfish

frozenfish Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:46 PM
    I'm a little bigger than you and wear an XL. 6'5" 250#
    Something a lot of people don't think about is ear plugs. I always wear ear plugs when welding, especially overhead. Little hot spark won't be good for an ear drum. Had a close call once.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.