Welding Pros

-

cannucky

The Guy With No Birthday
Reaction score
My hood is tearing itself apart at the hinge , the part of the underside support that holds the piece with the threaded holes for the mounting bolts is tears at the rounded corner below the bolt closest to the fire wall , is it possible to Tig the tears without cooking the paint off the outer skin ? I was thinking maybe holding a bag of ice on it , the weld would be a couple of inched below the outer skin on the brace . I'll try to draw a diagram and add it here later . scrap that I'll take a pic and post it tomorrow can't draw for dookie

What is the cause? If it's internal rust, get a new hood. But yes, you can try welding it, just put a wet towel on the top and hope for the best.

I don't know the cause it seems like the plate inside the hood that supports the hinge has come loose inside maybe . Thanks Mike but I'm sure this is fixable I'm just hoping theres a way to do it without having to repaint the hood . If it comes down to repainting then I'll probably grab a glass six pack or snorkle hood and flat black it . Heres a pic ...jeez it didn't look that dirty under there to the eye .

Attachments

• hood.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 301
I don't know the cause it seems like the plate inside the hood that supports the hinge has come loose inside maybe . Thanks Mike but I'm sure this is fixable I'm just hoping theres a way to do it without having to repaint the hood . If it comes down to repainting then I'll probably grab a glass six pack or snorkle hood and flat black it . Heres a pic ...jeez it didn't look that dirty under there to the eye .

Until you take it apart it's really hard to tell what exactly is happening. If you do remove to weld be sure and lube the spring that helps to raise the hood and lube all the moving parts because, from the looks of the failure, it looks like there's excessive load on the hood rear bolt area when you pull down or push up when you open and close it. Looks like it's pivoting on the bolt closest to the front of the car putting too much load on the back bolt (that's where it's failing).
And yes, if you keep cold wet towels on top of the hood as you weld you should be OK. Just don't weld too much at one time and give it time to cool between beads.
Treblig

Shouldn't be a problem. If you're really worried about it, just run tacks all the way down the tear and allow for cooling between tacks.

get a compressor and an air wand. do a couple tack welds stacking them 1/2 way onto eachother and then spray it with the air. it will cool quickly and not contaminate the area like water would.

Here is my input. I do a LOT of welding and bodywork. I agree with the inputs saying that they would do a series of tacks and blow them cool as you go. I think your idea of an ice bag is OK. Turn the hood upside down, place the ice under the hood and do the tacking; it couldn't hurt. My first thought is what caused the cracks? Bad hinges can place stress on that area and do it. The hinges on my 69 Cuda were worn out to the point where I had to pull down pretty hard to close the hood. The bushings were worn out and the hinges flexed outward. I found a place that rebuilt my hinges and they work great now. SMS at 1-800-989-6660.

here is my input. I do a lot of welding and bodywork. I agree with the inputs saying that they would do a series of tacks and blow them cool as you go. I think your idea of an ice bag is ok. Turn the hood upside down, place the ice under the hood and do the tacking; it couldn't hurt. My first thought is what caused the cracks? Bad hinges can place stress on that area and do it. The hinges on my 69 cuda were worn out to the point where i had to pull down pretty hard to close the hood. The bushings were worn out and the hinges flexed outward. I found a place that rebuilt my hinges and they work great now. Sms at 1-800-989-6660.

best advise so far!!!!!!!!! Fix the cause not the symptom!!!!!!!!!

Thanks harrisonm I do think that hinge is bunged up , I'm going to get the factory service manual out and see if I can figure out how to get at it and lube and re adjust it without taking the fender and the door off . I'll look into the rebuild place you suggested .

best advise so far!!!!!!!!! Fix the cause not the symptom!!!!!!!!!

I generally like to fix both eh ! I spoke to a mobile welder today and he basically said the same thing ,he figured he would use his wire feed instead of the tig plus use an air wand to cool his tacks real good before adding more and the ice would be a good backup to keep the paint cool on the top side .

UPDATE ...I finally got it out to someone to get the welding done , Inertia's son Chris offered to give it a shot and he did a great job I'll have to get some pics later but we basically made a piece from a heavier gauge steel the covered the slots and wrapped the edge of the under structure seen in the pic above after of course tacking the tears back together , there was metal actually missing from below the original slots so covering it all with a new piece was a must really , anyhow Chris did a fantastic job and when you see the pics you won't even see the patch it blended so well .... Great job and thanks also to Inertia for putting him up for it .

heres a pic I took after painting his repair ....

guess it came out smaller than I expected but he did a great job regardless !

Attachments

• all fixed.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 162
-
Back