Well choke, electric or manual?

-

BobW

Curmudgeon At Large
Reaction score
I have a 1966 motor with a Carter 2 barrel carb. Carb has been rebuilt and works great.
Motor is hard to start first time in the day as there is nothing to activate the choke.
Are complete assemblies available?
I've seen a pic on here with an electric choke, are they readily available?
I can always rig a manual old school cable if necessary!
This is a pic of the well in relation to the carb, and an assembly from a friend that is obviously oriented the wrong direction. I don't have the insert or the gasket.
Looking for info & options, thanks.

well choke2.jpg

well choke1.jpg

Do you have a carb number? That may not be the original carb so finding a choke that works correctly may be a tall order. Is the choke cover you pictured correct for the application? I looked through the 66 manual for photos but no help. A manual choke cable may be the way to go. I have never seen any electric chokes or conversions for those 2 barrels. That looks like a BBD 1 1/4" that was used on the 273's. I believe all the 6's in 66 had 1 barrel carbs on them. My guess is a original 66 exhaust manifold with the choke coil cavity a later model 2 barrel intake and a 273 carb.

Do you have a carb number? That may not be the original carb so finding a choke that works correctly may be a tall order. Is the choke cover you pictured correct for the application? I looked through the 66 manual for photos but no help. A manual choke cable may be the way to go. I have never seen any electric chokes or conversions for those 2 barrels. That looks like a BBD 1 1/4" that was used on the 273's. I believe all the 6's in 66 had 1 barrel carbs on them. My guess is a original 66 exhaust manifold with the choke coil cavity a later model 2 barrel intake and a 273 carb.
Carb tag is 1442 and 4947S.
Motor casting registers as 1966.
Car is a '64, front clip is '66, motor block '66, trans has '77 stamped on it!
Front brakes are SBP KH discs, I think someone swapped the front clip, motor & suspension from a '66.
I think the choke stat in the link is correct as the bolt hole closest to the carb was not tapped, and that unit has one hole and a tab on the carb side. I tapped the hole closest to the carb.
I have a hard copy manual for'64, and it shows carter BBD carbs, but no depiction of the choke stat.
I'm calling this car "Bitsa"!
Anyway, I think the guy that had the incorrect choke stat has this other style. I'll update the thread when I get it.

Carb tag is 1442 and 4947S.
Motor casting registers as 1966.
Car is a '64, front clip is '66, motor block '66, trans has '77 stamped on it!
Front brakes are SBP KH discs, I think someone swapped the front clip, motor & suspension from a '66.
I think the choke stat in the link is correct as the bolt hole closest to the carb was not tapped, and that unit has one hole and a tab on the carb side. I tapped the hole closest to the carb.
I have a hard copy manual for'64, and it shows carter BBD carbs, but no depiction of the choke stat.
I'm calling this car "Bitsa"!
Anyway, I think the guy that had the incorrect choke stat has this other style. I'll update the thread when I get it.
Yep, a hand choke may be your best bet. I got both of my chokes working well but I like a hand choke. Pull the choke, mash the gas pedal to set the fast idle and give it a little squirt of gas, and fire it up. After it runs 10-15 seconds you can usually push the choke in and tap it off fast idle after it runs for a couple min.

That's a 1-barrel choke thermostat you show in your pic—not compatible with the 2bbl carburetor (nor with that '73-up exhaust manifold also shown in your pic, for that matter).

Go get a № 1232 electric choke kit. It will attach to your exhaust manifold at the bottom end just fine. It would attach just fine your Carter 2bbl carburetor at the top end, except you have a V8 BBD rather than a Slant-6 BBD. The difference (the one that matters at the moment, anyway) is the configuration of the choke lever. You will have to either make a new choke pushrod or make an adapter piece like this.

Last edited:
That's a 1-barrel choke thermostat you show in your pic—not compatible with the 2bbl carburetor (nor with that '73-up exhaust manifold also shown in your pic, for that matter).

Go get a № 1232 electric choke kit. It will attach to your exhaust manifold at the bottom end just fine. It would attach just fine your Carter 2bbl carburetor at the top end, except you have a V8 BBD rather than a Slant-6 BBD. The difference (the one that matters at the moment, anyway) is the configuration of the choke lever. You will have to either make a new choke pushrod or make an adapter piece like this.
Thankyou so very much slantsixdan. I've sent the request form for the kit and can readily make that adapter.
'73+ exhaust manifold, one more piece of the "Bitsa" puzzle solved!

Opted for the hand choke for now using a Dorman kit.
Removed the choke pull off as it wasn't functional with the cable, and capped the vacuum port.
One of the pieces used with the electric choke conversion fit right on the choke shaft with the pull off bit removed.
The blank well hole I tapped was right inline to mount the cable clamp assembly
Car starts right up now!
Choke.jpg

Opted for the hand choke for now using a Dorman kit.
Removed the choke pull off as it wasn't functional with the cable, and capped the vacuum port.
One of the pieces used with the electric choke conversion fit right on the choke shaft with the pull off bit removed.
The blank well hole I tapped was right inline to mount the cable clamp assembly
Car starts right up now!
View attachment 1715592077
Gotta love it when a plan comes through. I don't mind manual chokes.

-
Back