Well, I am not sure if this should go on suspension or here, but here goes

Tires and Wheels (Mopar Hubcaps Too)

1. Cruisingram

Cruisingram Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:00 PM
    So, normally, when I build an A body I toss the 7-1/4 rear end and find a Dana 60 or 8-3/4 to go behind the huge HP monster I am about to drop in it. Well, I am keeping the slant six, so no need an expensive (especially to ship to Hawaii!!!) rear end just to go BBP rear end.

I was going to redrill the 7-1/4 and do it that way, but you know, that old rear end has lots of years on it, and hard to find parts for it seems. Also- if I need new drums. I have to drill another set again, at least the drums. Pain in the keester!

I build Jeeps mostly here. The CJ and the YJ are leaf spring suspensions. I went out and looked pad to pad, heck, the Jeep Dana may be a bolt in operation- and is 5x4.5 bolt pattern!

I think I am going to try to slam this in, taking more measurments. but looks good so far!

• Like Like x 6
    • Kendog 170

Kendog 170 Let the boy go !

Local Time:
      8:00 PM
      Don't hold me to it but I heard Ford Explorer rearends work but maybe someone who's done it can chime in.

• moparmat2000

moparmat2000 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      7:00 PM
      Theres a sticky on the 8.8 swap. But heres the cliffsnotes version. I have put lots of info on that including shortening the long side axle tube. Cant beat em all SAE hardware ( except caliper bolts) 31 spline truck axles, most have limited slips , clutch type so rebuild able, are 5 bolt 4.5" circle, good gear ratios, disc brakes, and theres so many of em you cant swing a dead cat without hitting one in the junkyard. Use a Spicer 457C u joint to mate the ford yoke to the mopar driveshaft. About $100-$200 complete from junkyard. Doing one for sons car. Had I known about this I never would have pieced together an 8.75 from nothing for my 67. Ended up with $1,700 in an 8.75. Started with buying a bare tube.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • RustyRatRod

RustyRatRod I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday. FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        8:00 PM
        Is the Dana pinion centered or offset? I can't remember.

• Professor Fate

Professor Fate Push the button, Max...

Local Time:
        7:00 PM
        Be aware that although the mounting pads on the Jeep axle are in a similar location, the overall axle width is more than 4" wider for the Jeep axle at the drums (A body 7.25~ 56", Jeep D35~ 60.75") which could push the wheels right into the quarter panels, or at least require a ridiculous backspace on the rear wheels.

• Cruisingram

Local Time:
        Thanks for that- the one measurment I haven't taken yet. spring pad and spring width same.

• Cruisingram

Local Time:
        On the YJ, centered.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.