Well I "fixed" this blasted camera, Canon M50

General Discussion

1. 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    1:34 PM
    I bought this little Canon M50 from Canon "refurbished." These deals "come and go." There are things I like about it, and NOT LOL

One reason I bought it is that it is VERY adaptable to old lenses, including the old Canon mechanical FD/FL lenses, it has the same size sensor as a crop DSLR, it "acts" some like a DSLR, and I have an adapter that will accept ANY of my DSLR EF-S/ EF lenses

IT is an interchangeable lens mirrorless so it acts a lot like a "POS" and somewhat like a DSLR, as it has an electronic (not optical!!) viewfinder

I MUCH prefer a viewfinder especially with my aging eyes, instead of holding "something" at arms length

I FINALLY go the menu settings to where I don't use the display except for viewing photos or doing menu settings, and normally run with it turned "in" with the blank side out

SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM???

The electronic viewfinder causes this thing to be a BATTERY WHORE it has a sensor, and the viewfinder goes blank after a bit, BUT IT HAS A SENSOR near the viewfinder and the idea is that if you put your face up there it will turn on. BUT IT ALSO TURNS BACK ON when carrying with the strap as it bumps against your body!!!

So after "hours" (days?) of searching menu settings and the internet, I just got out of the basement.........put a piece of "magic" tape over the sensor and colored it with a sharpie black marker.

NOW IT CAN GO TO SLEEP AND STAY THERE and to get the thing to "wake up" I just "bump" the shutter half-press---shut like I do on any of the other DSLRs

• Like Like x 1
    • 67Dart273

Local Time:
      The sensor taped over and a shot of the camera with the Canon EF adapter, and an old Mamiya 55mm 1.8 using a china adapter ring

IMG_3010.JPG

IMG_3011.JPG

• 67Dart273

Local Time:
      Some shots Bottom photo is a scaled down shot of the full frame of the photo, the top photo of the tower is a crop out of the full size original photo. Shot at F16

IMG_0909c.JPG

IMG_0909s.JPG

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    • 67Dart273

Local Time:
      Same basic shot This is a crop of the center of the full size photo, shot same old lens wide open at F1.8

IMG_0907c.JPG

• clementine

clementine Flight risk FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      When I first read the heading I thought you had bought yourself a new pond. @SGBARRACUDA

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • clementine

clementine Flight risk FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        seriously cool hobby though.

• mopar head

mopar head Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        4:34 PM
        That reminds me to FIX my daily driver, with a nice circler piece of tape.
        over that annoying engine light:)

• 67Dart273

Local Time:
        "So far so good." The next step--in progress as we speak.....is to leave it "sleep" with the power on and see if the battery stops going dead. My other DSLR's---I never turn them off. They can sit for days, sometimes weeks, without the battery going down very much.

• Phreakish

Phreakish Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        Good luck. I bought the original EOS M when they were being liquidated on ebay for $250 with a 40mm stm lens. Bought an adapter for ef lenses and it's great.
        But the batteries die even with the camera OFF in a bag. If I leave the battery out if the cam, it's fine. But leave it in? Dead the next day.

• 67Dart273

Local Time:
        Mine isn't that bad, but up to now, just trying to USE the thing they go down. You are right tho....seems like, even when off, the thing goes down faster than my other cameras. I have one camera uses the same battery, a small, lightweight SL-1. Smaller than my old Rebel Xt, it's a very nice lightweight EF camera That same battery can sit weeks in the thing and not go down.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.