Well It Finally Happened

-

superchargeddrt

Reaction score
Had the Dart out this morning to put gas into it. When I started It it was running a little on the rough side but I figured that it would smooth out after it warmed up. Well I put the gas in, started It up and then it started to run really rough. I decided that I had better get it home. While moving around the parking lot at the gas station I started to hear a heavy knocking sound. I managed to get the car home but after removing the hood and listening it's sounding like I have a major rod knock coming from the passenger side. It looks like after 30 years of use I am going to be putting a new engine in this car. I'm looking for opinions. Should I keep the supercharger and build the engine with low compression or should I sell the supercharger and use the money to build a 10.5 :1 stroker? Additionally I was thinking that I was going to build an engine from a 340 block that I already have but I am considering the possibility of buying a assemble short block 408 and saving the hassle in time of building it myself. What do you guys think? Does anyone have any experience with these pre-assembled 408 short blocks? Any help would be greatly appreciated

My 408 is the BOMB! Tons of torque in mid range... Scat rods and forged crank.

My 408 is the BOMB! Tons of torque in mid range... Scat rods and forged crank.
That's what I hear. I was really wanting that 416 but they are a lot more expensive than the 408 and I'm having trouble believing that there is that much difference in performance. Where did you get your 408? Did you build it yourself?

Had the Dart out this morning to put gas into it. When I started It it was running a little on the rough side but I figured that it would smooth out after it warmed up. Well I put the gas in, started It up and then it started to run really rough. I decided that I had better get it home. While moving around the parking lot at the gas station I started to hear a heavy knocking sound. I managed to get the car home but after removing the hood and listening it's sounding like I have a major rod knock coming from the passenger side. It looks like after 30 years of use I am going to be putting a new engine in this car. I'm looking for opinions. Should I keep the supercharger and build the engine with low compression or should I sell the supercharger and use the money to build a 10.5 :1 stroker? Additionally I was thinking that I was going to build an engine from a 340 block that I already have but I am considering the possibility of buying a assemble short block 408 and saving the hassle in time of building it myself. What do you guys think? Does anyone have any experience with these pre-assembled 408 short blocks? Any help would be greatly appreciated
I love my 408, gobs of power. If you decide to sell supercharger please let me know. I tried to pm you but it didn't work.

That's what I hear. I was really wanting that 416 but they are a lot more expensive than the 408 and I'm having trouble believing that there is that much difference in performance. Where did you get your 408? Did you build it yourself?
It was built by Boggess performance Racing engines in Charleston West Virgina.

I love my 408, gobs of power. If you decide to sell supercharger please let me know. I tried to pm you but it didn't work.
I am going to sell it if I am building the high comp 408. The supercharger has been on my engine since 1988 but has very low mileage on it. Also I sent it out about 10 years ago to have it gone through. I bought it from Dick Landy new. He used a Offenhauser dual quad manifold and might welded the supercharger flanges on. It is set up for a small block and it has all of the correct pulleys. I also have 3 different size pulleys for the blower snout. The only thing that is wrong with this thing is there was a small pinhole leak around one of the welds on the supercharger flanges. It was like this from day one and I didn't want to send it back to Dick Landy so I put some JB weld on it and it's never been an issue. I will let you know what I decide.

It was built by Boggess performance Racing engines in Charleston West Virgina.

Approximately how much does it cost to have someone build one of these? I am on the fence as to whether I am going to build it or if I am going for instant satisfaction and go short block.

I am going to sell it if I am building the high comp 408. The supercharger has been on my engine since 1988 but has very low mileage on it. Also I sent it out about 10 years ago to have it gone through. I bought it from Dick Landy new. He used a Offenhauser dual quad manifold and might welded the supercharger flanges on. It is set up for a small block and it has all of the correct pulleys. I also have 3 different size pulleys for the blower snout. The only thing that is wrong with this thing is there was a small pinhole leak around one of the welds on the supercharger flanges. It was like this from day one and I didn't want to send it back to Dick Landy so I put some JB weld on it and it's never been an issue. I will let you know what I decide.

I don't think 10.5:1 is high compression.

do you have any pictures of the supercharger on the car
thanks .

I'd have yours rebuilt I DON'T trust anyone's crate short blocks or engines..have yours built exactely the way YOU want it with the parts YOU want in it:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Call Brian at IMM Engines he will give you a straight price for whatever you decide you want .He might even have a use for your blower setup in trade you never know .

do you have any pictures of the supercharger on the car
thanks .

This is a B&M 174 forced induction blower.
IMG_20160908_111309795-800x450.jpg

I would be second in line for the supercharger.

And I am close enough to drive up and pick it up.

And I am close enough to drive up and pick it up.
I will let everyone know when I decide what I am doing. I am probably be selling it. I still have to figure out how much but I will let all interested parties know. I will go down the line in order of request. Thanks for your feedback guys. I really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Approximately how much does it cost to have someone build one of these? I am on the fence as to whether I am going to build it or if I am going for instant satisfaction and go short block.
I bought this car with the 408 in it. I talked to the builder and he alluded to the cost being over 12 grand. BUT Complete engine, not just the rotating assembly. And dyno tuned by him.

I bought this car with the 408 in it. I talked to the builder and he alluded to the cost being over 12 grand. BUT Complete engine, not just the rotating assembly. And dyno tuned by him.
And he might have installed it as well.

I would keep it supercharged and build the motor for it.
You've already got the super charger. Just think how BADLY you could ROAST a pair of rear tires with a blown 408 or 416. Not to mention your ETs at the strip.

I'd go with a blown 408!!
Icon pistons part# IC982 Has a -34cc dish and will result in a 8.8CR with 65cc heads. It's a forged 2618 piston perfect for boosted applications. Off the shelf pistons save money too.

Good head gaskets, head studs are a must. Full groove main bearings will provide full time oiling to the rod bearings.

That B&M blower and custom-made manifold is off-the-charts for cool factor, and it's an actual twin-screw; initially I thought you just had a typical Paxton or Vortec add-on system.

I would keep the blower setup regardless of the engine build unless you don't mind ever seeing it again for the rest of your life LOL... pretty one-off deal, very few blower kits for SBMs.

B&M Blowers are Roots style.
They have 4 point teflon striped straight rotors.
Whipple, Kenne Bell, Lysholm are Twin screw.
ProCharger, Paxton, and Vortech are Centrifugal.

-
Back