Well, look what we have here!

-
Id like to see an offset intake rocker all out version! Competion for Indy W-2 stuff

You can offset it all you want but that won't make it even W-2 good. There isn't enough material there to get the port to size. You can use a T/A offset rocker and a bit of welding and get what you want. It won't match a W-2/5 or the Indy stuff.

IF the posted flow numbers are accurate then it’s danm close since most W2/5’s don’t go past 315-ish cfm. There OOTB head as listed is just a few cfm shy.

Time will tell.

There is WAY more to making power than flow. My W-5's went 355. If I had another pair to start from scratch I could add another 20 to that on a 2.08 valve.

That head at 315 won't make as much power as a W-2 at 280.

I'd still rather pick my components myself. And I'd much rather do my own porting. Hey mike if you get a chance can you ask if they will sell bare casting with no port work and just the seats and guides installed? I don't even want a valve job on them.

I'm betting NO and heres why: TF has ZERO control over the outcome. To illustrate: Some backyard builder (BYB) convinces TF to sell them a set of bareheads just like in the quote above. BYB receives them, hacks err ports them, does a valvejob that may or may not seal (nevermind the impact on flow), leaves the guides to tight or way too loose, and then fills them with offshore junk valves, springs etc.... BYB goes to the track if he even makes it that far and has terrible performance and possibly even a catastrophic failure. Everyone at the track or local cruise asks "What heads are those?" BYB responds "TF's new castings--I'll never use them again." Notice the word "castings"--BYB is being honest in a sense but the rest of the people only heard "TF's new cylinder heads". This is why I bet nobody other than the usual highend shops with the right contacts will be able to buy bare castings.

Besides YR/Madscientist, you admitted you've never seen them in person so why would you instantly think you could do better than TF already? J.Rob

Last edited:
There is WAY more to making power than flow. We know we know My W-5's went 355. Sure the did. If I had another pair to start from scratch I could add another 20 to that on a 2.08 valve.

That head at 315 won't make as much power as a W-2 at 280. How do you know this? You've never even touched a set of TF's!
J.Rob

To add to the above I've seen cast iron EQ 23 degree Chevs that flowed 247cfm @ .500-.550" make 509 HP @ 358 cubes and I've seen AFR's that flowed 280-290 ish struggle to make that at the same cubic inch in similar builds. Some heads make great power no matter what and some don't no matter what. J.Rob

There is WAY more to making power than flow.
Agreed

My W-5's went 355. If I had another pair to start from scratch I could add another 20 to that on a 2.08 valve.
Your the only guy I have ever heard that has had a W5 go that high. And your claiming another 20 cfm with a move from 2.02 to a 2.08?
Yea, Ooooo K then!

That head at 315 won't make as much power as a W-2 at 280.
I’ll await your dyno results.

I do realize there is more to a head than flow numbers.

About the best working W5 heads i know of were the ones on my 422 motor.
I sold the car, and the guy who bought it upgraded the motor from what it was when i had it. Bigger more agressive roller. Gas ported the pistons, and bumped the compression up to 14 to 1.
Motor made 708 on the dyno at Best machine, an extremely reputable shop.
Car then went a best of 9.62@ 140 at 3220 pounds on super stock springs and a 28 by 10 DOT tire. That track result backs up the dyno numbers
Thats about as stout as i have heard of. Those heads were probably 320-330 max flow.
In fact they became leakers because of porosity and max effort porting. The owner then bought another set of W5 heads and had them CNC ported at Modern cylinder head. Who has a nice program. Back on the dyno, right around 690 ponies. Car hasnt approached 140 since. I will get some more info as owner is bringing it to Norwalk for Monster Mopar event.

That’s a pretty good effort! Nice job. Dang.

His improvements and especially the new roller cam really picked up the mph. My best was 9.85@135 with it. The extra 5 mph was impressive. Cam i had was 273/280..... 699/672. Dwayne did it up, told him i wanted to street drive it, so modest lobes. I know the cam Joe went to was a lot more agressive..... drag strip only semi- spring eater lobes. Think its 278-282 if i remember right. Car has bulletproof Jesel sportsman rocker gear. Been on it 15+ years now. Zero failures
That said, he lives on the East coast and had it in some super air out there( and is probably a lot smarter tham me too)... lol
They get some -700 feet stuff out there in the fall

To anybody curious......
Google..... Dons wheelstand..... its on youtube.
Thats while i still owned it, and is from Monster Mopar at Norwalk.
One caveat.... i lifted right when it came down, and got back in it. Heard a noise, oil pressure was fine. Turns out i busted the tie wraps holding the electric fan, it was dragging a bit. Listen closely and you can hear the track announcer about 3/4 of the way through the pass.... lol

I would post it myself, unsure how to on here

Damn! I imagine that was a odd feeling

Was 10.0 index racing about a year later one night up at Mid Michigan Motorplex. Let go of the button and the car refused to come down. Stayed up 400 feet out.Thank God for the red tape i mounted on the wheel at 12 oclock. Kept my eye on that. Your like praying each shift it will come down, and you cant take your foot out of it.
Thats the one problem with s/s springs if your making any power at all. It can be a fight to keep the front end down. Tighten it up too much it can blow the tires off. Used suspension limiters most of the time. Rubber stops. They helped.
But sometimes just a matter of where to leave off the two step at as well. Love old school Mopar technology. It worked.

I'm betting NO and heres why: TF has ZERO control over the outcome. To illustrate: Some backyard builder (BYB) convinces TF to sell them a set of bareheads just like in the quote above. BYB receives them, hacks err ports them, does a valvejob that may or may not seal (nevermind the impact on flow), leaves the guides to tight or way too loose, and then fills them with offshore junk valves, springs etc.... BYB goes to the track if he even makes it that far and has terrible performance and possibly even a catastrophic failure. Everyone at the track or local cruise asks "What heads are those?" BYB responds "TF's new castings--I'll never use them again." Notice the word "castings"--BYB is being honest in a sense but the rest of the people only heard "TF's new cylinder heads". This is why I bet nobody other than the usual highend shops with the right contacts will be able to buy bare castings.

Besides YR/Madscientist, you admitted you've never seen them in person so why would you instantly think you could do better than TF already? J.Rob

I looked at the pictures Mike posted. And I'm sure I can port well enough to at least match what they did. What makes you think the guy who ported those heads knew what he was doing? And how do I know I can fit my valve job on their port work without compromising something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed

Your the only guy I have ever heard that has had a W5 go that high. And your claiming another 20 cfm with a move from 2.02 to a 2.08?
Yea, Ooooo K then!

I’ll await your dyno results.

I do realize there is more to a head than flow numbers.

Where did I say I made that number with a 2.02 valve? I never said that. You pulled that out of your hat. Are you working the RAMM school of making up details?

My heads used a 2.100 intake. If I did it again, I'd only use a 2.08 valve. And I'd cut the exhaust back to 1.500 because that's all they need.

Where did I say I made that number with a 2.02 valve? I never said that. You pulled that out of your hat. Are you working the RAMM school of making up details?

My heads used a 2.100 intake. If I did it again, I'd only use a 2.08 valve. And I'd cut the exhaust back to 1.500 because that's all they need.

Did you ever make any passes with that head. Curious how it ran in a car

Any chance these coming along in a magnum configuration?

The problem I see is guys think this head will make power with a W-2. It won't. They didn't move the valves. They didn't raise the port. It's essentially a copy of an OE had that does have some improvements.

I'll say it again...we were a two man shop. The juice wasn't worth the squeeze. I was already working more hours than I wanted, and I wasn't willing to give up any more of my off time for what I consider magazine masturbation. It was a time thing. Of course, I could have worked weekends and stuff, and stayed in the shop until 2 AM like I did in my 20's and 30's but I said piss on that. Or, I could have set aside customer work to get into a contest I put very little value on.

Figure it out

The first set of valves I had made were from Donovan. After a year on those valves and some more learning, I went with custom Ferrea valves because Donovan quit making valves.

FWIW, I used a 55* seat on both sides and a tulip valve for the intake and exhaust. Maybe the people who still haven't learned that there is power in steeper seat angles and tulip valves are why their heads flow less than mine. The flow curve was nice and smooooooooooth and the ports were very quiet.

I *THINK* I could make some gains if I used a 1.500 exhaust valve and just use a 2.08 intake. Obviously, if I was motivated, I could move the valves over .060 and maybe use a 2.125 and 1.500 valve. Of course, you start running out of port and I'd have to do some welding.

Where did I say I made that number with a 2.02 valve? I never said that.
I know that and I never said you did.

You pulled that out of your hat.
Now now, don’t loose your hat..... again.... LOL!

Are you working the RAMM school of making up details?
Now now, don’t insult RAMM through me! Be nice.

My heads used a 2.100 intake. If I did it again, I'd only use a 2.08 valve.
You never said that to begin with. What you said is below in quotes.
Don’t start putting words into my mouth or assume. I tell you straight out no problem you know that. Calm down, don’t blow an artery!
There is WAY more to making power than flow. My W-5's went 355. If I had another pair to start from scratch I could add another 20 to that on a 2.08 valve.
Looking at what you wrote, above, it leaves holes in, “Information!”
Now after reading what you followed up with, a 2.100 valve, it finishes off what IMO you should have added in, in the first place.

Considering the head comes with a 2.02 to start with and your lack of information only leads one to think that the valve first used was a 2.02, then you went to a 2.08.

-
Back