Well, look what we have here!

-
anybody ever heard About the new TF SBM Heads? very interesting stuff…….can´t wait to see the first builds and what happens after that….could use some bigger heads on my 408 ;-)

Michael

anybody ever heard About the new TF SBM Heads? very interesting stuff…….can´t wait to see the first builds and what happens after that….could use some bigger heads on my 408 ;-)

Michael

They are frankly still going to be relatively tiny on a 4 inch motor. Just not much crossection in a standard configuration head. It will basically be a tractor.
That said, i am actually wanting a “ brick under my gas pedal” type build. I want a good casting head that can get my Dart into a very streetable low 10 sec zone car. I think this head should be able to get it done.
I have a 904 and the motor will have some compression, so i am cheating a little bit. Think i am going to take the Howards flat tappet( 260/264 565/565) out of my current 360, along with the 1.5 Harland Sharp rocker gear, buy 1.6 intakes, port up a victor intake, sell my airgap and see if those changes does it. With bigger headers and my convertor adjusted i think it will.

I currently have a 408, 10 to 1 compression, solid roller cam, a rpm manifold with Fast EFI, and TTI headers, on a Pro Comp headed engine. It made 550 hp and 560 foot pounds. The heads were not molested to my knowledge, so they are basically stock. I want to try these heads with a thicker head gasket, from .038" to .045", so the compression ratio will be 10.3 to 1. These heads flow more than the Comps, so I am interested in what improvement there will be. I do not race anymore and just want to tinker and have fun. Something different and newer.

I currently have a 408, 10 to 1 compression, solid roller cam, a rpm manifold with Fast EFI, and TTI headers, on a Pro Comp headed engine. It made 550 hp and 560 foot pounds. The heads were not molested to my knowledge, so they are basically stock. I want to try these heads with a thicker head gasket, from .038" to .045", so the compression ratio will be 10.3 to 1. These heads flow more than the Comps, so I am interested in what improvement there will be. I do not race anymore and just want to tinker and have fun. Something different and newer.

Going to a thicker head gasket isnt going to raise your compression

Yeah but going from 65 cc chamber to 60 cc's will. I am using a thicker head gasket to lower the ratio, to keep it in a realm enough to use our poor gas here.
Sometimes I can get 93, but most it is a poor 91.

From the pictures and that is all I have to go by--These heads have the nicest looking chamber of all aftermarket LA alloy heads. The area between the valves really looks to be a nod towards above average pressure recovery. These chambers feature subtle changes from the Edelbrock/Pro-Comp/Sidewinder lineup that will probably add to the HP column. That ramp/fin in the intake valve bowl is there for a reason and it ain't for lighting off the cats (JHC F-ME) I'm not a betting man but I'd say it adds power. Looking at TF's flow numbers I find them to be completely believable and the numbers at .300" and .400" are going to make these heads legendary. Most won't really understand why.

Will these heads feed a 4" stroke motor like a W2 or Indy 360-1/2? No
Will these heads feed a 4" stroke motor up to 6000-6300rpm and make 575-600 HP? I'm thinking YES
Are these heads better than an Eddy RPM OOTB--More than likely

As a rule I don't care for LA aluminum cylinder heads--NONE of the offerings have what I'm looking for. These TF's look to be exactly what I would have executed-given the parameters of stock this stock that (bolt patterns/rocker stuff/piston/bore confines etc...) In short-When a customer asks me for aluminum heads I will not hesitate to try these. I'm actually excited to try them. J.Rob

p.s. I tried posting this on the first page of this thread but wound up taking space in a certain someone's head and became seriously sidetracked--I apologize.

Last edited:
The area between the valves really looks to be a nod towards above average pressure recovery.
RAMM, can you explain more what this means? I have not heard the term 'pressure recovery' for this type of thing. Tnx.

RAMM, can you explain more what this means? I have not heard the term 'pressure recovery' for this type of thing. Tnx.

Best way to explain for me is with a waterslide analogy. What happens at the end of every waterslide? Well this is what happens when the air/fuel charge exits the valve. If there is no shape/material for the charge to "hug" flow suffers. J.Rob

Best way to explain for me is with a waterslide analogy. What happens at the end of every waterslide? Well this is what happens when the air/fuel charge exits the valve. If there is no shape/material for the charge to "hug" flow suffers. J.Rob
Sounds like a smooth or blended transition shape..... tnx.

The port work in those heads is not what most think it is. It's a gimmick. Any time you force the air to go where it doesn't want to go, you lose energy. There is no reason to force air across the back of the valve over from the long side to the short side. It's a waste of energy.

If your flow bench has a swirl meter, you'll see how much energy that style of porting really wastes.

The port work in those heads is not what most think it is. It's a gimmick. Any time you force the air to go where it doesn't want to go, you lose energy. There is no reason to force air across the back of the valve over from the long side to the short side. It's a waste of energy.

If your flow bench has a swirl meter, you'll see how much energy that style of porting really wastes.

I do have a swirl meter. That has shown me swirl changes direction at different lifts. 4 valve heads have the least amount of swirl. That vane is there for a reason. J.Rob

The port work in those heads is not what most think it is. It's a gimmick.
If your in biz like most places, you better have something other than gums that flap.
Tell everyone what the “Gimmick” is there using.
In this case of the word, it seems like your casting doubt and calling the BS cars on Trick Flow for not knowing what there doing.

Any time you force the air to go where it doesn't want to go, you lose energy.
This is true. It can also be found in most any part of the air flow track from air filter to exhaust tip.
However the amount of energy lost in the drawing of air is an insignificant amount of energy waste on an engine and it has more to do with quality and quantity of air and fuel on the intake side of the 4 stroke engine.

Your casting a dark shade over trick flow by your accusations in which is total BS. This is the first clue you have no idea what’s going on.

There is no reason to force air across the back of the valve over from the long side to the short side. It's a waste of energy.
We will see what is what on head flow and path taken when the head arrives.
As noted by other head porters, reconfiguration of OE heads leads to an after market head that gets modified, the process repeats itself with the last mods in place.
Adding a wing, ramp, a vane, etc.... is all part of ever evolving parts. Suggesting a short coming based on photos is a huge leap and Irresponsible.

Please show us your data.

I do have a swirl meter. That has shown me swirl changes direction at different lifts. 4 valve heads have the least amount of swirl. That vane is there for a reason. J.Rob
Ain’t that the truth!
Sitting down with my engine builder and head porter for lunch has helped tons and the understanding level jumps.
Too bad I can't read the **** RAMM has posted, but I blocked his lame ***.
So stupid.
Can’t take the heat?
All things considered, RAMM hasn’t turned up any heat as far as I’m concerned but you just run away like a child screaming in a sissy *** manor.
You can’t even answer basic questions!

I am amazed the YR knows more than a manufacture and the processes that go into making a head, and what marketing group that they are trying to reach on their release. He has a Doctorate by his name and yet he knows more than everyone. Maybe he should work with them and tell them they are wrong.

So this is his answer, to ignore everyone who he does not like, use poor wording, like Sh*t and call people names, then we are suppose to take his word on what he says. I think that his Doctor of Thinkology need to be reviewed.

And another ***** goes on ignore. You see, I've tested that port work on heads from the TF SBC and up to the Buick SBC head. It didn't work on any of them. Looks great on the flow bench. Until you measure the swirl. And until you test at 10 inches. Oooooppps. Then test at 42 inches.

Live by the flow bench, buy by the flow bench and wait to be disappointed.

I test at 52"'' *****. J.Rob

So this is his answer, to ignore everyone who he does not like, use poor wording, like Sh*t and call people names, then we are suppose to take his word on what he says. I think that his Doctor of Thinkology need to be reviewed.
I think YR’s ignore list is growing rapidly!
Myself
RAMM
and now Steven190?!?!?!

Oh no! The sky is falling!

What is really funny about YR are his claims and his last message to me saying that he will have the last word on RAMM! But he puts him on ignore!

I’m just questioning YR on his testing and proof!
IMO, he is NOT a machinist at all but a poser.

Seriously! From a picture, not a great one ether, he deams the trick flow guys stupid. Charges there putting out an inferior product.

Amazing!

Could he be right?!?!?!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Come on YR! Grow a pair!
It’s just the net!

-
Back