Well motortrend can just kiss my........

Which is better Old cars or new cars

• Total voters
-

Steve 225

Reaction score
https://www.motortrend.com/news/old-cars-suck/

Counterpoint:
You don't have to have a bachelor's degree in engineering to change the spark plugs
You can raise the hood and actually see the engine instead of a hunk of plastic with an engine somewhere underneath
You can tune and adjust things like carbs and timing instead of replacing a pre programmed chip
You can park in a parking lot and come out and find YOUR car instead of searching through 50 look alikes to find the one that's yours
You have flair, style and individually, instead of just being one of many
I could go on, but I'd like to hear other peoples reasons why our old cars are better

I could never read this crap magazine in the doctors office, seems like that's who only bought this trash! Rich douche bags.

Well, having owned a couple of new performance cars, (2011 Camaro SS, 6.2 liter 6 speed stick and 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 6 speed auto, both with 420ish HP),and a whole lot of old cars, I have found the biggest difference for me is the new cars have more conveniences and features that in many instances were simply not available on the old stuff. Things like traction control, love it or hate it, personally not a huge fan but it does have a purpose, far better brakes and handling, etc. What they lack is a soul, sounds weird, I know, but the personality of an older car comes from things like the smell, the odd squeak, rattles, some dings, dents and scratches, these are what I call experience marks. I've had the restored car, a 1970 Dart Custom that everyone and their dog referred to as a Swinger, (I gave up on correcting people after about 5 years). I did the majority of the work on that car myself in a 14X22 single garage, except for the paint and 1/4 panel replacement, and I drove it every chance I had. Took it to Florida on the Hot Rod Power Tour, parked it on the sand at Daytona Beach, drove it to work in the summer months daily, cruised it, drag raced it, and enjoyed the hell out of it. Sold it after 20+ years, still not sure that was a really wise move, but I did it. I thought I would prefer the newer cars, but I found after a while there wasn't the same enjoyment, anyone can go out and buy a late model car, but not everyone can say that the car they're driving is something that they built themselves. It doesn't matter if it's not a "show car", so long as you are happy with it and enjoy the time you spend working on it as much as the time you get to spend driving it. These days my daily driver is a 1990 Bronco, something I've wanted for quite a few years, finally found a decent one, and I look forward to getting my 75 Dart Sport on the road, maybe later this year. I also have a bone stock, now 39,000 original mile 1976 Pontiac Ventura, featuring a blistering 105 HP 260 cubic inch 2 barrel Oldsmobile V8, which is a really nice cruising car, though it really needs a few more HP, have owned that one since 2011, bought from original owner.

I vote for the old cars, hands down, simpler to fix, and for me, more enjoyable to drive.

As for Motor Trash magazine, look at what they select for their "Car of the Year Award", they're not really car nuts, they don't have the same affliction we do.

Wanna go get milk, drive your Toyota..Wanna go for a cruise, load up the Barracuda! Be noticed, not ignored! Its funny, the Lexus and Mercedes commercials where they park these things alone in front of a mansion (always with their wheels turned) or a night lit backdrop when in reality you see 30 of 'em every day parked at the mall next to 8 others that are identical to it and the lady has to use the remote lock to locater the chirp of her white or silver or black SUV, or (exotic cars) sitting in traffic right along side you. Motor Trend is thee biggest BMW fanboy I have ever been forced to read at the dentist office or smog check station. You wont find an issue where they are not creaming on the newest BMW offering or remembering the hard-on they had when the 318i came out. Oh, maybe they should discuss cost of ownership or devaluation of all these new Euro trash cars? I know Scotty Kilmer just loves Money pit Euro cars....as hard as his editing is to watch, he has some great stabs at new cars.

Got tired of working on the old 96 chevy pickup. 245000 miles. Still has the original exhaust. Sold it to the neighbor. He's throwing money at it now. Wife drives a Yoyota now. 70000 flawless miles.

How the hell is a Prius car of the Year? Those Motor Trend people must have access to the best stash of illegal substances known to man. Personally, the new one is like skidmark said "a tool". I use it to haul equipment, the family, and myself to work and back. Yeah they stop and steer great, and 99% of the time they fire right up. But if something were to happen to it, it would be gone and another would take its place. If something happens to one of my classics on the other hand, it will have to be really, really bad for me to part with it. I mean frame rails twisted into figure 8's bad. And even then I would have hesitations, just because I enjoy a challenge. The ones I built and wrench on to keep running are like my kids. Part of who I am is in it. New cars don't give me the same feeling.

Hagerty had a great article recently (that I'm not sure I fully agree with) about why new cars are no fun...mostly because they are too solid. It was an interesting counterpoint to the belief that "they don't make 'em like they use to":
Avoidable Contact #60: To make cars better, we'll need to make them much worse | Hagerty Media

The writer of the MT article is young (too young to have the requisite experience to be an automotive journalist if you ask me - but he works cheap and thats the industry). I'm not much older. Up until I acquired the Dinger, I hadn't purchased a vehicle older than a 2000 model year. But even so I find there is a huge "enjoyment" gap between vehicles from the early 2000s and today. I own a 2000 f150. Previously owned a 2001 ranger. Both of them loads more enjoyable to drive than the 2019 f150 my company gave to me. Both of them felt and rode like trucks. 2019 drove like a soccer mom hauler. I also own a brand new 2019 frontier. Nice truck, dependable, comfortable(ish), but damn, I enjoy driving the ratty old f150 loads more. And I get more friendly conversations out of a leaky, 20 year old pick-up truck with failing paint and no AC than I do on my new vehicles.

Did you see the guy who wrote that article? Lol it's no wonder. The only reason motor trend is anything right now is because of hot rod and roadkill.

I was just talking with my neighbor friend about his 57 Chevy last night. He’s 75 years old, and has a cottage out here and an apartment close to the city he stays at on the weekends because he has a job there. I asked if he ever takes the 57 into town and he said...”no, I like to enjoy driving it, and I can’t enjoy driving in the city. I like the back roads, going slow, and enjoying the wind, the rattleS and squeaks, and the sound of the engine. I can’t have that in the city”. I feel much the same way! I have a daily driver, it serves a purpose, just like my old cars do. That purpose is not the same.

MT: "Hi, I have a different opinion than you. Here's why..."

FABO: "YOU SUCK! WE HATE YOU!!!"

...great argument...

I think Motor Trend wins here...old car guys get mad, copy the link, send it to other old car guys to get mad, and they too click on the link. It's all clicks for them.

With that being said, I think my signature line proves that I prefer old cars. New cars are nicer to drive, but who cares? I just don't like them as much.

I get to work on cars every day. Its my business. New cars are disposable.
Cant repair many components on the new ones compared to the old ones. And where do all these failed components go? Trash or scrap bin. Not much to be recylcled in those discarded parts. Instrument clusters, maf sensors,plastic intake manifolds.
All garbage.
Wheel bearings? I average replacing 1 or 2 a week.

other than modern conveniences i dont see the new stuff being better in any way other than filling our landfills.

Most of the comments here point out the old cars appearance. That isn't what the article is about. That author mentions vague steering, mushy brakes, etc...
If old car owners didn't desire the modern performance of those things in their old cars, a whole lot of aftermarket products would not exist. Ask Borgenson, Bimbo, and other vendors if they are glad that old cars mechanically suck.
The author really shouldn't mention throttle response before driving today electric performance car.
As for waste in landfills... what if the millions of vehicles on the roads today got 8 spark plugs, points, etc... every 12K miles? Oil change every 3K miles? Consider the extended life of todays belts and hoses.

Owned a 68 dodge Monaco
Currently Own a 2007 CRV and Drive a 2008 chevy uplander company vehicle, not "new" but that's a new car to me
My Monaco had 4 wheel power drum brakes, no problem stopping 2 tons of vehicle(really don't care for ABS brakes)
had a 383 2 bbl, and no problem getting that 2 tons moving
Had all the bells and whistles so i had A/C, power windows, power seats, tilt telescopic column, rear window defroster and cruise control
Monaco had way more head and leg room
I kinda liked the floaty feeling going down the road of the Monaco, CRV is a little stiff
Also liked the little finger lock to lock of the power steering
Always used to say" you don't drive the Monaco, you point it"
But I've always liked the 10 mile long land yachts
"I got me a car its as big as a whale, I got me a chrysler it seats about 20"
Advantages of the CRV and Uplander? Better gas mileage and better in snow, and I do like the heated seats in the CRV, but the Monaco wasn't prone to tipping over
My honest opinion, if you want to get from point a to point b, or want to travel cross country, do it in a new car( although I have done cross country trips in old cars and it was quite a memorable adventure)
but if you want to have fun, and enjoy the ride you can't beat an old car
As far as the landfill, those plugs and points will eventually return to mother earth, that Tesla battery will still be polluting the environment when archeologists dig it up thousands of years from now

Last edited:
I think Motor Trend wins here...old car guys get mad, copy the link, send it to other old car guys to get mad, and they too click on the link. It's all clicks for them.

With that being said, I think my signature line proves that I prefer old cars. New cars are nicer to drive, but who cares? I just don't like them as much.

motor trend started it, they could have titled the article" advantages of new cars over old cars" I wouldn't have had a problem with that, and would have probably agreed with some of it, but instead they went straight for the jugular with " old cars suck"
I read that and was like" wait a minute, did you just call my sister a *****?"

Nobody started anything. They published an article based on the authors opinion. Yours may be different, but that’s why it’s called...

Opinion.

Everyone is entitled to theirs and entitled to express it...like it or not.

Nobody is forcing it down your throat.

Walk away and get over it...or not. It’s up to you.

I don't agree with your perspective, but it doesn’t change my World when you express it.

Nobody started anything. They published an article based on the authors opinion. Yours may be different, but that’s why it’s called...

Opinion.

Everyone is entitled to theirs and entitled to express it...like it or not.

Nobody is forcing it down your throat.

Walk away and get over it...or not. It’s up to you.

I don't agree with your perspective, but it doesn’t change my World when you express it.
wow, talk about someone getting upset about another's opinion, did you write that article?
That's the problem these days, there's a difference between stating an opinion and being rude, and that problem extends all the way to the highest levels
You can respectfully tell me you disagree with my opinion, and we can discuss it like civilised human beings
Now if you start the conversation by sticking your finger in my face and calling me an a-hole, well it's not going to be a pleasant conversation for either of us
And when motor trend said old cars suck, to me its the same as sticking their finger in my face and calling me an a-hole because I like old cars
But then again that's just my opinion and I'm entitled to express it

Well I like them all. I drive a 70 Dart (Mopar 360/320) with automatic trans, a 73 Mach 1 (427 Windsor) with Tremec 5 speed and a 17 Porsche Boxster S. All very different but all fun. Make no mistake, push the Sport button and turn off the stability control on the Boxster and you have a handful. Quarter miles come in 12 seconds and 60 comes in 3.6 seconds. The Dart is a very easy to dive car that has some get up and go. Corners surprisingly well if I can keep myself set in the bench seat. The Mach 1 is a beast though when in 5th with the front coil over suspension, quick (12.7:1) steering it is a pleasure once rolling at 70+.

There are millions of morons getting paid to submit stories to online sources that have zero background in the subject they are writing about. This guy is just one...

I agreed with RRR because They(MT) have an awful record of picking notoriously miserable failures for COTY, plain & simple, ..not all,....but a lot.
I completely disagreed w/ jos51700 because there hasn't been a better time for new cars & gearhead performance, and new cars definitely have character,....Some just may not be fond of it. Every era has it's trademark characteristics, '30's,'40's, '50's, to anyone who wasn't there, "they all look the F*#kin" same!" Most are hard pressed to tell any one from another if they didn't grow up "w/grandpap's/dad's/uncle's/ etc. To a twentysomething, an '05 Civic Si is a freakin' classic already! LOL!!

-
Back