Well, My Demon Died On Me Yesterday

-
any fitment issues using that dist? thanks. rick w.
It took some elbow grease but got it on there. We had to move the plugs around because of the small space and "not so lengthy" wires but got it on right.

Decided to have a nice drive to work yesterday and on my way back home while waiting for a stop light, it just dies and didnt want to crank back up.
Shifted to neutral and pushed it out the way and hoped it was just vapor lock. Opened the hood to let it cool and 2 hours later, same thing, just cranking and doesnt want to turn over. Ended up towing it back home. FML

View attachment 1715973072

View attachment 1715973073
When is the funeral? Sorry coach, just my smartass sense of humor acting up. Hope you find the solution quickly and fairly inexpensively.

FWIW, I put in a complete MSD system (box, distributor, plug wires and coil about 3 years ago. It starts better, idles better and runs better.
I would be inclined to try the new Progression distributor. Advance and rev limiter programable off your smart phone Bluetooth. But considering you have a distributor ordered, go with that. I would keep the old one and fix it. Then you have a spare.

Just finished test driving after installing the distributor. She runs even better than before!
We advanced the timing by just a hair over 9 and she feels more alive then when I got her. When we pulled out the old distributor, there was oil inside also so that really was the culprit. I'm just happy I get to enjoy driving her again.

View attachment 1715975147
xqehd.gif

I'm actually not sure. I still have the old one to check if you tell me what to do
I was thinking that positive crankcase pressure may have pushed oil up the distributor shaft. This is just theory and could only happen if the PCV system was not venting the crankcase.
Post a picture of your engine from the top with the air cleaner off so we can see how the PCV is plumbed. Im sure you dont want to see your new distributor get fouled with engine oil.

It sounds like the ballast resistor. Make a jumper wire and attach it to the connectors, then try to crank it. If it starts, replace the resistor.

I mentioned blow-by back in post #75. And it can happen with the PCV hooked up & working, from worn or broken rings. I have seen oil dip sticks pushed out of their tubes from blow by force.

-
Back