Well my new 408 is finally sitting in the engine bay

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I put the finishing touches on it yesterday double checking the valves once more, priming the oiling system, and setting my start timing. Then although tiring out set it in and bolted up the transmission with a few bolts. I quit at 4pm as I signed up for a 12 week Old Testament class and I figured the guys would appreciate if I showered and brushed my teeth after snacking on pepperoni all day. Lol. Dragging today and rain in the weekend forecast it was hard to get motivated so I got a very late start. I’ll give it 2-3 hours and hopefully finish up tomorrow. If I don’t get to race Saturday I’ll probably get it off my ramp system and change the front tires and rear slicks. Keystone has Street racing next weekend so I may have to travel out of state to get a few hits.
83B175BA-F7BB-4C8C-8DBC-D1ACE5A503DE.jpeg
F383A9DC-A758-48A0-9685-1E08A502F3DE.jpeg
5F8F5E93-C306-4770-9969-BEB0EC7AE50B.jpeg
26939822-D327-4854-95DB-EC6AB1AC9CC9.jpeg

The fancy and pretty is in the engine. The rest from what I can see is pretty nice too.
Don't sell yourself short. your #'s for a small block are impressive.

Go Pittsburgh, go Pittsburgh, you're a rockstar, go Pittsburgh! Do you run a Dana 60?:rolleyes:

Oh I think more than a few people around here view you as a rockstar, the time and effort you put into your small blocks is nothing less than awesome. and taking your time to share that with the rest of us makes you such a valuable member thank you sir.

Thanks guys for the kind words. Well it’s 10:45pm and it’s time to quit. That what happens when you screw off and start late. I almost quit at 9:00 when I moved my Harbor Freight transmission jack and say the two shims that we SUPPOSED to go under the transmission mount. I unplug the light and said I’ll get it tomorrow but thought about that for a second and said there’s no way in hell I wanted that to be my first job tomorrow. Luckily after I took the bolt out I was able to lift it enough to sneak them in there. So I figured I might as well put the driveshaft in, then make up the converter shim pack needed on powerglides, then I figured what the heck go ahead and finish up bolting up the flexplate and converter. Tomorrow’s another day it’s suppertime.

Oh for you powerglide guys if you are like me you are always scrounging around looking for the 7/16 shims to set your .125-.180 clearance (1/8 minimum- 3/16 max) I found a shim pac at Jegs that came in very handy. I bought three of them a year ago. One word of caution is you have to mic them and stack them. I used one of each size to get my .130 clearance but some of the shims varied .002-.003 so if you multiply that by three you see what I’m getting at. I opened two of the pacs and I’m within.001 for the three bolts. Here’s the part number
BC4D2C9E-C2D5-47A0-A47A-7068D97575BC.jpeg

John.... I’m already thinking “exit plan” but I want the thrill as bad as you! You’re like warrior status!!

John.... I’m already thinking “exit plan” but I want the thrill as bad as you! You’re like warrior status!!

I gotta get this thing running and start working on ME. I need some gym time and 2.5 mile walks again.

I honestly don’t think I could run a 9 round race right now and I have 2-3 races coming up that are at least that many rounds

I put the finishing touches on it yesterday double checking the valves once more, priming the oiling system, and setting my start timing. Then although tiring out set it in and bolted up the transmission with a few bolts. I quit at 4pm as I signed up for a 12 week Old Testament class and I figured the guys would appreciate if I showered and brushed my teeth after snacking on pepperoni all day. Lol. Dragging today and rain in the weekend forecast it was hard to get motivated so I got a very late start. I’ll give it 2-3 hours and hopefully finish up tomorrow. If I don’t get to race Saturday I’ll probably get it off my ramp system and change the front tires and rear slicks. Keystone has Street racing next weekend so I may have to travel out of state to get a few hits. View attachment 1715752765View attachment 1715752766View attachment 1715752767View attachment 1715752768
Any more progress? Always looking forward to your updates. Your progress has been helping to motivate me as well.

Any more progress? Always looking forward to your updates. Your progress has been helping to motivate me as well.

Hardly any updates at all. The weekend weather forecast for rain had me kinda unmotivated and I had a few other projects at home needing attention. I did dingbat on one thing being my headers require adaptor plates which I should have taken off my Indy heads and fit them to my Edelbrock heads while it was on the engine stand. When I went to check fit with the engine in the car they are off a good bit so it will be a lot of grinding and hopping up on my ramp to check the fit. Hopefully finish that up soon so I can get the headers, exhaust system, and radiator in. She’s getting new plug wires too so I gotta make those up. (ultra 40’s).

Hardly any updates at all. The weekend weather forecast for rain had me kinda unmotivated and I had a few other projects at home needing attention. I did dingbat on one thing being my headers require adaptor plates which I should have taken off my Indy heads and fit them to my Edelbrock heads while it was on the engine stand. When I went to check fit with the engine in the car they are off a good bit so it will be a lot of grinding and hopping up on my ramp to check the fit. Hopefully finish that up soon so I can get the headers, exhaust system, and radiator in. She’s getting new plug wires too so I gotta make those up. (ultra 40’s).
Thank God you are good at grinding. LOL

Speaking of porting iron heads.
Does anyone you know of run a CNC program for porting factory X heads?

Not that I know of. There used to be a few places doing 906 big block heads and if I remember a name I will let you know. About the only way to find a shop like that is by making some phone calls.

At least it is an external part that you can work on at your bench, instead of under or leaning over the car somehow.

At least it is an external part that you can work on at your bench, instead of under or leaning over the car somehow.

Ohh I agree. I even took time to put my 422 on the engine stand just to pull the plates off. Then I got all the silicone off on my bench grinder so they are ready to grind and fit. I can’t believe they are that far off because a had a set on Edelbrock heads before on my old 408. I know I sold a set to my buddy so it may have been the fitted set. Either that or I opened these exhaust ports out more. Hmmmm.

Ohh I agree. I even took time to put my 422 on the engine stand just to pull the plates off. Then I got all the silicone off on my bench grinder so they are ready to grind and fit. I can’t believe they are that far off because a had a set on Edelbrock heads before on my old 408. I know I sold a set to my buddy so it may have been the fitted set. Either that or I opened these exhaust ports out more. Hmmmm.
What size header primary tube do you run on that car? I forget.

-
Back