Well that didn't take long..

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
Took the race car to pick up breakfast for me and the women. Rolled out of the parking lot and got deep into the throttle.

The car went straight and was moving out good. Pull into the drive way and walk to the rear of the car to shut off the battery. Right away I realise something is really wrong. The driver side of the car is 3 or 4 inches lower than the passenger side...
After thinking oh **** my welds broke, nope.. looks like I folded the driver side SS spring...

Granted these springs are 4 or 5 years old but they were only behind a gutless 318 with a 2.73 peg leg..

I thought these springs were supposed to be the bees knees?

I knew carnage was inevitable but I didn't expect the leaf to be first victim...

:steering::wtf:

20181016_151131.jpg
:thumbsup:

Driver side.
20181125_110343_zpsimarw8br.jpg

Passenger side.

20181125_110331_zpsouz77uif.jpg

Passenger side slider, note spring eye is all the way to the rear.

20181125_110538_zps55bevgyb.jpg

Driver side slider, note spring eye is not all the way to the rear.

20181125_110600_zpsu47ec2qp.jpg

20181125_110538_zps55bevgyb.jpg

Passenger side leaf, it's hard to see but there is a bend right at the front eye.

20181125_110626_zpsdtsbfvhn.jpg

So what do you think? Spring failure, right?

Frickin second drive, at least it didn't roach the slick...

:)

That's what you get, for running some POS leaf spring instead of some tubular thingy with Heim whatevers and link sausages with independent suspenders.

If you had run donut spares on the rear, this never would've happened.

Yeah, well put...

What's strange is it wasn't a dead hook, this was from a roll...

My brother and have been running them for about 5-6yrs and no problems whatsoever, his is running 11.80s.

20181016_151131-jpg.jpg

What was the distance between the spring eyes on the original spring mounts ? Over extension, too far of a distance , could cause the weakest part of the spring to bend. Look at posting with the extended rear shackles. Same thing.

The spring is in (almost)the same location as before i just moved it under the frame and back 1.5 inch.

I also dont understand why it flattened out. If it was due to torque wouldn't it be more curved? It almost looks like I jumped the dam car...

Spring clamp is factory, I've never messed with it?

Any thoughts as to why the spring flattened out and what i can do to keep this from happening as soon as i buy a new spring and stomp on the skinny pedal?

I would think something to keep the axle from twisting but im no expert maybe one of the smart guys have something....

The springs are MOPAR brand 02-03 SS springs but I doubt I'd get any love as they have been on the car for years..

It's not bound, when I put the car on the lift the eye slid forward. Not sure if its bound now as I'm at the house and dont realy want to drive the car like this..

Heres a pic of the front section. You can see its flat and looks to be bent up about 2 inches from the eye.

20181125_135903_zpsvnq3trnx.jpg

I flattened a front left spring on my old Ramcharger 2 days after a pair was put on by Spring Align. They arched 2 new leaf springs for me when I lifted the truck.
I hooked up a chain to pull a Continental out a lot and it promptly flattened the new driver side spring. I drove it cocked like that back to Spring Align. I got a lot of looks. They pulled the flat leaf out and threw it in the scrap pile. Blamed it on the material. They arched another for me and I had no more problems after.
77Ramcharger.jpg

Yeah I help my leaf springs with traction bars for sure and I have them set pretty tight.

You run slappers?

I don't realy understand how those help?
I thought the slide a links were supposed to help but apparently that didn't work..

Are you sure the rear eye is not bound up on ya'?
Just wild speculation but maybe the sliders are not exactly parallel with the front spring mounts, and all four mount points "square" ??

-
Back