Were there any TRUE 904 lockup's ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
Question. Were there any "True" 904 lockup transmissions ? for small blocks. Or were all small block lockups of the 998/999 type ? Not talking about lockup 727s for small blocks. Just info about the 904/998/999 series small block transmissions.

I ordered a 1978 LeBaron with a 318. This was the first year for the Lockup as used in a Mopar. It was mechanical, not electrical, as soon thereafter, a TSB was issued to change out a spring that affected the lockup. I bought the kit and installed it myself along with a B&M shift kit. I know it was 904 based.

I ordered a 1978 LeBaron with a 318. This was the first year for the Lockup as used in a Mopar. It was mechanical, not electrical, as soon thereafter, a TSB was issued to change out a spring that affected the lockup. I bought the kit and installed it myself along with a B&M shift kit. I know it was 904 based.
LOL, I remember that TBS. They had the lock up come in to soon and it would shake the hell out of the dash. Before the new spring came out we used to just put a 1/4" lock washer under it to make the lock up come in later. And you are correct it was the 904 transmission.

Last edited:
LOL, I remember that TBS. They had the lock up come in to soon and it would shake the hell out of the dash. Before the new spring came out we used to just put a 1/4 lock washer under it to make the lock up come in later. And you are correct it was the 904 transmission.

I remember the nasty dash shudder those caused and how it scared the crap out of people.
When was that, somewhere around the mid to late 70's?

LOL, I remember that TBS. They had the lock up come in to soon and it would shake the hell out of the dash. Before the new spring came out we used to just put a 1/4 lock washer under it to make the lock up come in later. And you are correct it was the 904 transmission.
I did not know if the first small block(904 series transmissions)lockups were actually 998s or 999s. Or indeed 904s.

I remember the nasty dash shudder those caused and how it scared the crap out of people.
When was that, somewhere around the mid to late 70's?
Don't know positively it was the first year but a buddy of mine had a 77 Fury that did the shudder. If I remember right lockup came in around 35 mph and with the hwy gears those cars had it was waaaaay too soon IMO

-
Back