Were there BETTER 15" 60 series performance tires in the past? Will we ever see new models?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
Anyone who has looked for a performance tire in a size that may have been available when our cars were new, has undoubtedly noticed a smattering of all-seasons, vintage replicas, drag radials and...well, pretty much BFG Radial T/As and Mickey Thompson Sportsman ST. There are a few other stragglers (like Cooper Cobras (?) that are seemingly just ignored as being even less capable.

15+/- years ago, it seems like there were many more choices for performance tires. For example, I remember being so thrilled with my Dunlop GT Qualifier tires (which were a monumental upgrade from the generic 165/70/14(??) that were on the car when I got it). I remember guys running Goodyear Gatorback tires...etc.

Somehow, the BFG Radial T/A is the go-to tire in this class of tire these days and they aren't particularly high-performance tires despite the raised white letters and "Trans Am" implication in the name. Hard compound, squirmy tread blocks, soft sidewalls... By today's standards, their performance would rank somewhere near the average SUV's space saver spare tire. Some say that the M/Ts are a little bit better but undoubtedly, they are very similar. One look at the disappointingly rain-capable tread pattern on these tires tells you what you need to know....these are not serious high performance rubber.

Why did these hang on? Did we end up with the BEST tire of the type? Were others better? Which tires do you remember?

Obviously, the 15" 26" (+/-) outer diameter tire market is small....What are the odds that any company will ever make anything better?

put out a poll and ask owners of cars so equipped to define "performance" and you'll soon have the foundation for your answer.

Put out another poll asking what they're willing to spend on those tires, and the answer should be nailed home.

If you want performance, you go modern. You don't go old school and expect performance to come to you.

And I sorely miss the Goodyear gatorbacks.

Formula One Super Stocks, my go to tire back in the day. I'd buy them today if I could.

The Firestone Indy where good tires and a lot of sizes, now, not so much sizes, if you can find them.

-
Back