What’s the exact process to identify a real 66 Formula S Barracuda?

-

Mike Correll

Reaction score
I have a 66 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S, but I’m wondering if it is a true formula S car since I don’t know much about the whole history of the car. Does anyone know the trick to determining if it’s a true one?

0B55612E-BC44-4AE2-9F62-6BBF9F85E9BF.png

9C5583AB-A27D-4726-8A3D-13DDC10212A7.jpeg

VIN, Fender tag, build sheet? VIN start with BP?

You may need your build sheet. 367 is the Formula S code on the build sheet.
@Alaskan_TA is an expert at this stuff.

Formula S cars will have the Commando 273, HP single exhaust, tachometer, HD suspension with a front sway bar, and Formula S badging.

Last edited:
For me me I see people at swapmeet claiming they are selling formula s cars I check the lower control arms if the have sway bar tabs welded on them. Them after check the rearend for the 8.75 depending on year I don't think 64 came with the 8 3/4. Also another way is checking the rim width. But then again all this stuff can be changed around over the last 50 years lol. So vin and vin stampings would be the best way but depending on year I think later barracudas had multiple stampings on the body of car, I don't know about early ones maybe they have one at the rad and not at the trunk.

Thanks for the replies. I do know that it’s likely within the VIN but I’m not sure what exactly what I should be looking for after decoding the vin. I’ve done it through websites but I didn’t find anything directly identifying it as a Formula S

Need the fender tag or build sheet, VIN won't say. My '66 VIN starts with BP but isn't a formula S. Should be a 32 under the AB on the fender tag for the hipo 273.

For me me I see people at swapmeet claiming they are selling formula s cars I check the lower control arms if the have sway bar tabs welded on them. Them after check the rearend for the 8.75 depending on year I don't think 64 came with the 8 3/4. Also another way is checking the rim width. But then again all this stuff can be changed around over the last 50 years lol. So vin and vin stampings would be the best way but depending on year I think later barracudas had multiple stampings on the body of car, I don't know about early ones maybe they have one at the rad and not at the trunk.
8 3/4" rear ends came on A-body Dart in April/May of 1965.

The VIN calls out a 273-4 bbl engine? Not the only clue, but it would have to have that. I know in 65 you could get a commando 273 in a non-S, but I have never seen that combination in a 66. I might be wrong, but I have never seen or heard of that combination.

A '2' under the C is a 65 'S', If a 65 has a tach, it's usually an S. The S stamp is nothing special, just an inspection stamp.

Hopeto's '65 S fender tag from another post shows the C-2
65cudatag-jpg.jpg

14 x 5.5 rims. Discs were optional. Not all '66 Commando cars had the 8-3/4, including four speed cars. ALL '66 Barracuda VINs start "BP" and ALL 273 cars (2 or 4 barrel) have the "D" in the fifth character of the VIN. So, as long as the VIN says 273, it is of no further help. As stated above you need the fender tag with the proper codes, but the only way to match the fender tag to the VIN is with the broadcast sheet.

Amazing that we're still trying to decipher these things after 50 years.

I bought 66 mainly because it was unmolested.
273 2bbl
7-1/4" rear
factory 4 speed
13" wheels

I've actually never seen a factory 4 speed 66 with a console, but I had to add that...gotta have a place to put a coffee and plug in a cell phone

Amazing that we're still trying to decipher these things after 50 years.

I bought 66 mainly because it was unmolested.
273 2bbl
7-1/4" rear
factory 4 speed
13" wheels

I've actually never seen a factory 4 speed 66 with a console, but I had to add that...gotta have a place to put a coffee and plug in a cell phone

That is the way to do it. No secret, just need the fender tag and broadcast sheet. Does numbers matching really mean anything? Just need the right parts, like the factory did.

Wow, I really thought they had a code for the 273-4. Learned something today.
My friends 66 S had a 4 speed console. Inland shifter POS, but had the console.
Light Gold, in and out, no stripe, front disks and 8 3/4.

Wow, I really thought they had a code for the 273-4. Learned something today.
My friends 66 S had a 4 speed console. Inland shifter POS, but had the console.
Light Gold, in and out, no stripe, front disks and 8 3/4.

67 had a different engine code for 273 4 barrel, as did 68 but I have never seen a 68 273 4 barrel.

-
Back