What 340 camshaft?

-

Go Mango

Never enough beer...
Reaction score
I've got a wiped lobe. Verified by dial indicator.
Looking for a new cam.
340 engine
Standard bore.
Stock heads(1970 2.02/1.60)
Hooker competition headers with free flowing exhaust.
Eddy AVS-2 650 carb
Electronic ignition
10.5 to 1 compression
4 speed car with 3.91 gears
I'm camshaft ignorant, all I know is that the engine was rebuilt years ago, and the cam was replaced then with an "RV" grind.

Gas mileage concerns?

I like that dang MP split duration grind. “761” 228/231-.450/.455 or something like that.

If you can’t find that cheap, that’s about the duration I’d be looking at. Stock /.02 heads, that falls right in there just fine.

Gas mileage concerns?

I like that dang MP split duration grind. “761” 228/231-.450/.455 or something like that.

If you can’t find that cheap, that’s about the duration I’d be looking at. Stock /.02 heads, that falls right in there just fine.
Gas mileage?! Man, I'm getting gallons per mile now! It can't get any worse, and besides, no more miles than I put on it who cares?

I see that the lift is over 0.500 on this cam. Duration isn't terribly different, Except the exhaust (compared to the 275DEH.) Cam like this might do better with an 800 carb?
I’m sure it would do better with the bigger carb, in a street/strip application. But with a strictly street driver, I don’t think it would make a difference. With your 10.5 compression, rear gear, and the relatively low duration of that stick, I think it would make a real stump puller.

I’m sure it would do better with the bigger carb, in a street/strip application. But with a strictly street driver, I don’t think it would make a difference. With your 10.5 compression, rear gear, and the relatively low duration of that stick, I think it would make a real stump puller.
That's good information. If the 800 AVS-2 would've been available back in October, I would've bought it. I'm considering it now, regardless of my fubar camshaft .

From experience. Put a Lunati 262 voodoo in my friends stock 68 340. Runs very strong for what it is. Has a slight lope at idle, good vacuum.

I just read the description on comp cams website.
Sounds good to me, but you were very quick to suggest that one. Have you had experience with it?

We'll wait a couple days and I'll suggest it again. Will that work better?

That's good information. If the 800 AVS-2 would've been available back in October, I would've bought it. I'm considering it now, regardless of my fubar camshaft .

The AVS you have is perfect.

So what is that supposed to mean? I'm just asking if you've used this cam. Wasn't trying to be a smartass or clever. Just curious.

I have used the next step down in a 318. It would detach retinas for what it was with bottom end torque. The 340 certainly can stand one step up, especially with your gear ratio.

What my comment meant was that a slow response would be no different than my quick one. lol

I have used the next step down in a 318. It would detach retinas for what it was with bottom end torque. The 340 certainly can stand one step up, especially with your gear ratio.

What my comment meant was that a slow response would be no different than my quick one. lol
Good enough! I can get the whole kit for 457$. Thinking pretty hard on it...

Id use the Comp 268H. Old grind, but nice sound, needs nothing fancy for springs, and pulls hard in a stock plant.

How about this one
Xtreme Energy™, XE274H
Very Strong Torque & Throttle Response

How will you be using your car?
Will it be mostly street driven or see 6000 plus rpm regularly at the strip?

get a 340 6 cam. use any exhaust. or go roller. 340 6 and any 2x4 or 32bbls. wick r 1350 cfm a two 4 double pumpers 750 or 800 cheap and the 340 6 cam will take a 850 dbl pumper. and would advise a shorter 340 6 duration. and shorter gears as 430. w 4 spd. old stock compo and from factory race . and look in your mirror. o good gas

wick r 1350 cfm a two 4 double pumpers 750 or 800 cheap and the 340 6 cam will take a 850 dbl pumper. and would advise a shorter 340 6 duration. and shorter gears as 430. w 4 spd. old stock compo and from factory race . and look in your mirror. o good gas

What is “wick r”

Are you also suggesting two 750 and/or 800 CFM carbs with the stock camshaft?

I see all good advice I ran a 527 lift 300 for years. with 850 dbl pumper 430 gears on a 69 340 swinger. had a hemi 70 b dart more fun.

-
Back