What a Difference a Day Makes!

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Removed and stacked the tires/wheels yesterday that I removed from our '65 Valiant Signet convertible. This afternoon I walked by and found one tire had given up its ghost.

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

What are the dates on those tires?

And if I it did not happen while driving... Buy 100 lottery tickets!

The tire in post #1 came on the vehicle I purchased 14 years ago, not sure of the tire date. Drove it 2,400 miles on those tires since 2008.

I've had two or three blow up like that in 110° Arizona weather, but the one on the blue car was in california all its life, and blew at 70°.

Even though there are millions and millions and MILLIONS of radial tires that live a long life and never separate, I've said right from the rip that metal and rubber ain't meant to be glued together.

Trouble is in 10 years, some of us put 600 miles on them! Then they need to be replaced? That sucks when they are $600 a set. Someone should make a shelf stable tire for classics. F it. Solid rubber....

Well, it's a matter of safety. I got new tires on my car a few years ago. The tires I replaced had about 75% of their tread left, but they were about 12 years old. Did I hate to spend $600 to replace tires with 75% of their tread left? Yes! But my safety, and the safety of any passenger I might be carrying is worth it.

My tires are 5 years old. I have 5000 miles on them, car is garaged, dry Colorado, garage gets 30 in the winter and 80 in the summer.

They will probably last longer than 10 years but I will probably change them out
In 5 years. Red lines would be factory correct, but my paperwork looks like they were black walls that my dad ordered.

I like raised white letters, but red lines would be cool.

I had a 2 piece driveshaft bust open on me after I was grinding on it to seperate it. I was changing flap disks then grabbed a beer and the thing just popped open like a tube of biscuit dough. We were working a manual trans onto a Toyota Tercel with a transverse engine. The trans went in on the passenger side and we fought that thing for an hour. Pulling it back out, recentering the clutch disk on the alignment tool and putting it back on, no luck so I finally hung it on a top bolt all cockeyed and stopped for the night. Next morning I came out and it had fallen right into place, like a bunch of elves did it at night. Wierd stuff....

I had one do that on the highway at speed.The tread came off but the tire stayed inflated. Made a terrible noise and the front end shook like crazy.It was a like new but old tire too. They go bad with age is the lesson I learned that night.

Removed and stacked the tires/wheels yesterday that I removed from our '65 Valiant Signet convertible. This afternoon I walked by and found one tire had given up its ghost.

View attachment 1715910642

View attachment 1715910643
I have 5 nearly new stock tires and factory wheels with original hubcaps. They are 13 inch, 5x4 bolt pattern. I'd let them go for a reasonable price just to get someone back on the road. LMK if interested.

I have 5 nearly new stock tires and factory wheels with original hubcaps. They are 13 inch, 5x4 bolt pattern. I'd let them go for a reasonable price just to get someone back on the road. LMK if interested.
That might serve someone better in the For Sale section.

View attachment 1715910642

View attachment 1715910643
I bought my Duster from a dealer and drove it home 150 miles. Over 60 it had a little shake to it but at low speed it had lousy traction on wet roads. Bought new tires for it and the tire shop showed me that the rear tires were 29 years old! Ugh!

I paid for a front end alignment on a Mazda MPV which had almost no tread on the tires. After the alignment, the vehicle tracked the same, wanting to run either left or right. The alignment tech said don't blame him, it was the worn out tires. I didn't believe him, but later with new tires, the MPV straightened out.

My tires are 5 years old. I have 5000 miles on them, car is garaged, dry Colorado, garage gets 30 in the winter and 80 in the summer.

They will probably last longer than 10 years but I will probably change them out
In 5 years. Red lines would be factory correct, but my paperwork looks like they were black walls that my dad ordered.

I like raised white letters, but red lines would be cool.
I have red lines on my 69' 340 Dart Swinger. 35 years, total. On the 2nd set, at 20 years. I do check the side walls often for a possible crack, but I no longer race with these tires, but just putt around town and enjoy now and then opening the AVS up, to awake the 340. My reason for not changing the tires yet is, car is kept indoors (limited sun damage), always proper inflated (keep folds off the sidewalls), 3/4 tread (low milage) and never used Armor All, but Black Magic (gel form) for preservation. Used Armor All on my T/A Radials years ago and the sidewalls showed cracks in 2 years, with 1/2 tread left. My belief is the alcohol in the Armor All dries out the rubber and cracks the tire, unless you would apply it often. So now I keep all alcohol base products away from any plastic and rubber items.

-
Back