What a grease ball

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
Even after power washing the engine and engine compartment twice before starting the disassembly, this engine is just an absolute grease ball. It must be leaking from 100 places. Grease all over the transmission, so maybe the oil pressure sender.

All over the inner fenders, probably the valve covers leaked. All over the steering gear box. Grease just caked over the k frame.

When I was underneath it to undo the torque convertor bolts and underneath stuff, I kept getting grease particles falling in my ears, eyes and everywhere else.

These pics are after 2 power washings with the engine in. This week I think 3 dates between the car and the power washer ought to do it.

It's amazing how they start out so clean and turn into a sludgy freaking mess.

I can't wait till a freshly painted engine goes in and all brackets and k frame have a nice new coat of paint and you can clearly see every bolt and fastener.

I am really starting to wonder why this car was parked and forgotten in the first place. The engine still turns freely, but I found a very loose connection between the cable and starter post. Hmmmmmm

20190720_202414.jpg

20190720_194217.jpg

20190720_194215.jpg

20190715_215033.jpg

Must be a 75 thing! You shouldn't seen mine! Haha.
Looking good glad to see you making some progress!

It takes time but don't just clean it . tear into it . You'll will wish you did. My son was into it. He was suppose to be working on it. This is how we found him.

DSCN0960.JPG

DSCN1060.JPG

DSCN1061.JPG

That vortec we pulled on saturday is a leaker too. Oil cooler lines leaking at both ends
And aftermarket trans cooler leaking on other side.
Buddy’s project. He’s finally showing some interest in resurrecting dad’s truck.

I found that the build up of dirt/grease on the front of the k-member actually made my car more aerodynamic! but probably 100 lbs heavier!

I had a 318 in a vehicle I got off the original owner, valve covers leaked bad.
Total grease ball.
Took several cans of oven cleaner to get it clean.
After cleaning the engine, one soft plug in the head started leaking.
I guess a the sticky oily mess was keeping it from leaking.

drill and a wire brush on the block. :) Looks like a normal 40+ year old 318

Rainy, They get parked some times for the simplest reasons.I got a 71 Chrysler Newport for $125. The guy could not get it to run.He replaced the fuel pump and had the carb apart when He gave up. All that was wrong was the rubber hose from sending unit to fuel line was rotten

Rainy, They get parked some times for the simplest reasons.I got a 71 Chrysler Newport for $125. The guy could not get it to run.He replaced the fuel pump and had the carb apart when He gave up. All that was wrong was the rubber hose from sending unit to fuel line was rotten
X2 I bought a Chrysler 5th Ave off a lady, she shut it off in her garage, it would not start.
I gave her $200 for it.
Timing chain jumped.

We are all talking about getting grease off. How 'bout someone wanting the engine and bay all greasy. Several years ago I read an article(can't remember where) about a street racer. If I remember right, he had built 340, no radical cam and somehow could mess with the engine timing so it sounded sick. He built the engine,but instead of making it shiny, he dribbled oil over the engine and bay, hit the dusty dirt roads so the dirt would accumulate. This way it looked as if it was an unkempt engine. He would then proceed to goad the Chebbies and Fords to race and was said to have won quite few races.

Many years ago, my best friend and I were swapping the dead original 318 out of my '70 Dart GT for a fresh one, we were done the job and back at his place for beers when his girlfriend asked how he had gotten his clothes so dirty. He told her that I had the greasiest car in the city, we all laughed, but it was probably not far from the truth, car had well over 100k miles, and had been leaking from pretty much every possible place when I got it, but I didn't care, was a cheap, fun car.

Even after power washing the engine and engine compartment twice before starting the disassembly, this engine is just an absolute grease ball. It must be leaking from 100 places. Grease all over the transmission, so maybe the oil pressure sender.

All over the inner fenders, probably the valve covers leaked. All over the steering gear box. Grease just caked over the k frame.

When I was underneath it to undo the torque convertor bolts and underneath stuff, I kept getting grease particles falling in my ears, eyes and everywhere else.

These pics are after 2 power washings with the engine in. This week I think 3 dates between the car and the power washer ought to do it.

It's amazing how they start out so clean and turn into a sludgy freaking mess.

I can't wait till a freshly painted engine goes in and all brackets and k frame have a nice new coat of paint and you can clearly see every bolt and fastener.

I am really starting to wonder why this car was parked and forgotten in the first place. The engine still turns freely, but I found a very loose connection between the cable and starter post. Hmmmmmm

View attachment 1715367485

View attachment 1715367486

View attachment 1715367487

View attachment 1715367488

Looks just like what's in my garage right now!

The '74 moor-door I parted out last summer was like that.. greasiest damn thing I've ever worked on. Used a paint scraper to get the 1/2 inch of grease off the inner fenders.. stickers underneath looked like new. Used a spoon to get the stuff out of the intake manifold. The floor by the back of the trans had a half inch of goop. I think that's the reason that car still had usable frame rails and torsion support. Thanks, guy, for just dumping more oil in and never changing a gasket. 160,000 miles worth, lol.

Washed the vortec today. Even after a can of oven cleaner and 7 bucks at the car wash its still gooey. Yet its so much better.
Hope you are making good progress.

Cleaned off a 360, I picked up a month ago, air cleaner to oil pan, power steering pump, and alternator, to flex plate. Took me 12 cans of Orieleies engine degreeser , and about 2 hours. Nice and blue now. Engine came out of a 79Warlock.

Dave

Go all old school. Drag it it outside, coat it with the nastiest oven cleaner spray you can find, spray it down and let it sit for a few hours. Spray it off with a hose. Stuff is gonna fly everywhere.. goggles a good idea, lol.

Ok, so with the heads off, it looks beautiful.
No idea why this was ever parked.
I hate this engine stand because its too tall but maybe after the engine is done and gone I will knock a good 6 inches off it, maybe a foot.
I had help today so we got the heads off and some of it disassembled.

I can turn the engine by hand and when it shows TDC, the piston looks to be as high as it can go

definintly a good core. Of course there are rat droppings in the valley from sitting in the field with no intake on it :eek:

20190827_190254.jpg

20190827_190310.jpg

20190827_190430.jpg

20190827_190504.jpg

20190827_190501.jpg

20190827_190344.jpg

20190827_190315.jpg

don't you just love it how you can drain the engine of coolant and remove the drain plugs on each side and be convinced it's empty. Then when you take the head it absolutely just pisses coolant all over you :eek:

-
Back