What aftermarket 4bbl intakes fit a 65 273

-

gts1

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Looking to put a 4bbl intake on my 65 273 Valiant Vert. Can anyone tell me what used 4 bbl intakes fit this motor.Anyone have one for sale either factory or aftermarket?
Thanks
Sal

You'll have to look into the classifieds and swap meets carefully on the exact manifold number for these early heads. Edelbrock and Weiand have made intakes for these early odd angled engines. You still can get a Weiand for a crazy hefty sum.

Offenhauser built a 4-bbl and a dual quad for them. And as stated above, the D4B was built for 64-65 273. (best aftermarket 4bbl for these that I know of). I suspect there may be others, but thats all I know of.

The original low-sitting cast 4bbl intakes perform very well. Heavy, but it gets the job done.

Yup. I had an Offenhauser Dual Port 360 on mine once upon a time. It worked quite well. You can hog out the bolt holes and make a later manifold fit but that's a pretty hillbilly fix. (I hate to admit it but I had this hillbilly fix on a car for a few years....)
Good luck in your search!

I used a Holley street dominator on mine. I had to ream the mounting holes and I angle ground the parts of the manifold that meet the hold down bolts. Actually a very easy job. I have the entire engine setting on an engine stand ready to go if anyone is interested. Heads milled for 9.25 compression, pertronix ignition converted to hydraulic lifter comp cam.

GOOD LUCK ! I wanted an Eddy and after countless calls was told the same thing, " Edelbrock is still marketing and if there are enough orders in the next 6-8-? months another casting run "might " be made". I found an Offy 360 deg' Equa-Flow high rise from Speedway that the rep' I talked to literally went back in the warehouse and found on a shelf covered in dust.

I would think it would be a fairly cheap operation to have a machinist fill and re-drill the holes to line up with the early heads.

PAW carries the Offy, but for the cost, you could upgrade the heads and use a used newer Edlebrock intake.

Yup. I had an Offenhauser Dual Port 360 on mine once upon a time. It worked quite well. You can hog out the bolt holes and make a later manifold fit but that's a pretty hillbilly fix. (I hate to admit it but I had this hillbilly fix on a car for a few years....)
Good luck in your search!

It might work but the angles are not the same and you will be putting those little 5/16 bolts in bending stress instead of having them pull straight down. Factory cast iron is good, D4B was supposed to be the best. I had an Offy and that was good too. The trick is to find any of them. Keep looking and one should show up. Hell fish also makes a good point.

I used an Edelbrock RPM Performer on my '66 273 Commando, topped with a Holley 600cfm double pumper....Sorry, I'm saving the factory intake.

ZooKypr

I found an Eddy D4B on ebay, They were made for the strange 64/65 head with the 5/16 bolt andd the wierd angle. That one and the Offy are supposed to work great. I have not put mine on yet.

how do i tell what intake will fit on my 65 273ci
i didn't know they were any different than a 318

how do i tell what intake will fit on my 65 273ci
i didn't know they were any different than a 318
If the intake bolts are 5/16 you have the older head. Also check the casting numbers the older heads are 2465315 . A newer aftermarket intake will sit on ther but the bolts will not finish flush with the intake. they will be on an angle. Ive seen washers used. The proper way if you want to keep older head is to have the newer intake redrilled and spot faced. (or get a rare older manifold).

-
Back