what are the CC's for the 440 heads

-

slim17265

Reaction score
I will not know what heads I have until I pull off the rocker covers, not working with original motor, supposed to be 1970- 440/375hp. What is the factory compr ratio for the 1967-1970 RB motors? the casting numbers on top near dist. is 440-C (block) the heads could be earlier and could even be closed chamber. I want to establish what I have to determine what cam to go with but I am looking at the 275/284 which looks good for street. and Yes the car is a WS23L thanx in advance.

I'm not positive, but I think C is a '67 440. The block casting date (on the Pass side near the deck) will tell for sure. '67 can have 516 heads(non HP engine), or 915 1.60 ex valve(also non HP) or 915 1.74 ex valve (HP engines..GOOD HEADS). all are closed chamber designs, with volumes in the 76-80cc range IIRC. Compression is really down around 9.5:1, regardless of the advertisements. If the engine is a '70, it wil have 906 heads, which are open chamber design, and upwards of 88-90ccs. Real compression is about the same as the earlier ones. The best way is to pull a head, and see what it has, CC a chamber, and determine how far down in the bore the piston dome is. Then you can figure the compression ratio, and adjust things. Cam choices are endless..need more info on what you want out of it, and what it's going into, among other things..

Another thing is to pull the valve covers off the engine and look for the casting #s on the heads. They will be on top of the intake runners, then theres no doubt what they are.

BJR Racing

-
Back