What are these for - '73 disc brake :

-

rebeldart

Reaction score
I bought reman calipers for my Dart - all's well as far as reassembly and installation, lost instructions long ago and I was wondering what the black rubberbands were for ? Also do ya'll recommend applying the anti-squeal sauce ?

guess no ones seen these bands before ? Maybe to hold calipers in place during install ? Inquiring mind .... sorry

These are remanufactured calipers I'm installing , don't know why they'd include seals ? Look a little large anyway.

I'm wondering about those myself. They are in my disc brake hardware kit as well and I'm drawing a blank. Must be some sort of anti-rattle piece, but danged if I can remember where it goes. Don't remember ever putting them in place on a brake job. You can use the anti-squeal sauce if you want, but you can get the same result with a layer of duct tape on the back of the pads. That's all I've used for years.

8)I work a dodge dealership and new anti squeel sauce to use is never seize. Mopar as done tests on police cars and different types of squeel sauce and best thing they have found was copper neverseize with nickel neverseize in a very close 2nd. Put it on the caliper where it meets up to the pad and a little on cailper slides and you should have no problems.

I'm pretty sure they are for shooting the pimple faced kid behind the parts counter... I just replaced my driver caliper and wondered about those as well, but with about 30 or so mopar brake jobs under my belt and the fact that I've never seen them before I just threw them away with the box... was anyone else's reman caliper anodized gold? I had to paint it before I put it on.....or get wire wheels :)

They go on the caliper adapter. Around the rectangle part where the caliper slides back and forth. You put them on, then the caliper grease stuff (I think its green) then the caliper then the caliper hold down with the anti-rattle spring and bolt. In the pic they are called "o-rings". I put em on , but I'm not sure they are needed.

Scan10010.jpg

Wow, thanks for that picture. I guess I've never seen these O rings, but still good info right there.

Yeah I've got the gold before - made offshore not Mopar cores, not even shaped the same (A-1 Cardone).

No wonder I never saw them. They were probably beat to dust before I ever got there. Thanks for the pic, it clears up one of life's mysteries.

I'd like to second Duster Harrys opinion on the copper anti-sieze. I've been the auto parts business for over 27 years and recommend it highly. you can also put it on any where the caliper slides. Be aware that some brake pad manufacturers such as Wagner Thermoquiet do not require ANY compound and will VOID the warranty if you do! If you do need to return them be sure to clean the anti-sieze off with some brake cleaner. Speaking of brake cleaner, o not use brake cleaner to wash off brake rotors, only cold water with transparent dish washing soap like Dawn. Hope this helps.

Finally the mistery is solved about those rubber bands. I have done several brake jobs on Mopars before and never seen them when I took things apart so I just used them to shoot at the wife when she comes out to bug me when I'm working. Seem to work good for that.:toothy10:

I'd like to second Duster Harrys opinion on the copper anti-sieze. I've been the auto parts business for over 27 years and recommend it highly. you can also put it on any where the caliper slides. Be aware that some brake pad manufacturers such as Wagner Thermoquiet do not require ANY compound and will VOID the warranty if you do! If you do need to return them be sure to clean the anti-sieze off with some brake cleaner. Speaking of brake cleaner, o not use brake cleaner to wash off brake rotors, only cold water with transparent dish washing soap like Dawn. Hope this helps.
I came here looking for an answer on "what the hell do I do with these rubber bands?" and got it. Gotta wonder how long they last though.
Regarding brake rotor cleaning, I have always used methyl hydrate (alcohol) to clean them. I know that Varsol, turpentine or mineral spirits will leave a film behind but figured that alcohol was perfect. Seems to work really well. Is this wrong?

-
Back