What are these screw heads called? What tool is used?

-

Mopar Vince

I'd rather push my Mopar than drive any Ford
Reaction score
Upon trying to remove the gas cap on our 68 Barracuda, we noticed these odd looking sheet metal screw heads.
I imagine it was a theft deterrent but I have never seen these.
What are they called and what is the tool to remove them?
Drill baby, drill?
20210303_140901.jpg

Upon trying to remove the gas cap on our 68 Barracuda, we noticed these odd looking sheet metal screw heads.
I imagine it was a theft deterrent but I have never seen these.
What are they called and what is the tool to remove them?
Drill baby, drill?
View attachment 1715701425

THEFT PROOF , MINE HAD THE ORIG. ONES LIKE URINAL STALLS USUALLY HAVE ,-----WHY , i DONT KNOW !

Look at security tools for the bit to remove & install those screws. I believe Klein Tool has those type bits in the security tool they offer.

I call those bastard screws. Vice grips will loosen them right up.

hi, snap on tool number is TTW12 called tri wing socket

needle nose vise grips. Back them out a couple turns at inside trunk end. Then you can grab the screw head outside. No special tool or drill req'd.

needle nose vise grips. Back them out a couple turns at inside trunk end. Then you can grab the screw head outside. No special tool or drill req'd.

Puzackly.

And then don't put them back in! What were they thinking? :BangHead::BangHead::lol:

And then don't put them back in! What were they thinking? :BangHead::BangHead::lol:

Anti theft protection I think!

I bet you could take them out easily by using a dremell tool to cut a slot in them , then use a big flat top screwdriver to back them out.

Not sure Toolmanmike but 50 years ago, that gas cap cover look was legendary ! I don't know of any other production model cars except Mopars that came with the flip-top cap as a standard option such as the Chargers and Barracudas did . Bet a lot of Camaro and Mustang owners tried to retro fit it.

Gas theft wasn't a problem till prices were getting higher back in the mid 70's, unless you had a Caddy bumper that was worth 2 grand , you had to weld it on. Although where those screws were it was no deterrent at all under the gas cap.

No doubt but I wonder if theft was an issue?
It was to deter stealing this fuel door. The thief didn't have access to the inside end of the screw but owner probably has a key.
AMC Gremlin had a big fancy expensive fuel cap without any theft deterrent. I lost 1 off the 71 model and 1 off the 73 model. Dealer got about 14 dollars for it.

gremlin fuel cap.jpg

i think i have that tool to remove those. ask toolmanmike if he remembers selling it. i think that those are the same screws that were used as theft proof radio screws in mopars when the steal that radio era was running rampant.

It was to deter stealing this fuel door. The thief didn't have access to the inside end of the screw but owner probably has a key.
AMC Gremlin had a big fancy expensive fuel cap without any theft deterrent. I lost 1 off the 71 model and 1 off the 73 model. Dealer got about 14 dollars for it.

View attachment 1715701466

Not 14 dollars anymore! LOL !! One on Ebay 75.00 !!

Security screw, tamper resistant, etc. Harbor freight used to sell a set with all kinds of different security bits. Cost less than $20.
Search Results For "Security" bit

Might have to search around to find a set with that specific bit. Does not seem to be included in most of the assortments.

Security screw, tamper resistant, etc. Harbor freight used to sell a set with all kinds of different security bits. Cost less than $20.
Security bits yes, this is a socket that's needed.

I've got the Snap-On socket, but I didn't buy it for the Barracuda (which does have those screws). Chrysler resurrected those screws for the Infinity stereos in late model LeBarons, which is what I needed the tool for. I have both Snap-On size sockets. Will probably never use the smaller one...

-
Back