What camber caster gauge?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
Called a few places about getting the dart aligned.
First place said they wont put it on their rack cuz the headers hang down to low.
Second place has a pit but wont give an estimate on a car that old. They said the price is what it is.....

I'm looking at spending about 150 on a cheep gauge. Summit has a few. What do you use/like and why?

I did a ghetto alignment already but bump steer is bad and on hard throttle she pulls to the left. I figure for the price of halving a dip **** kid do it once I may as well just buy the tool?

Thanks for all the time and advice.

Call speed shop in your area or good body shop. They will give some suggestions.

Find a Firestone shop that still has an old school alignment guy. I use a guy that's at my local Firestone. He's been doing alignments for 40 years and is familiar with all the older cars. I trust him with all my cars. Don't know what I'm going to do when he retires???/ Firestone only charges $79 (one year warranty I think) but won't give you a "lifetime warranty" if the car is more than 30 years old.

I suggest a factory street setting, as the setting for the strip is a little sketchy on uneven roads. imo

You will be much happier when you do it yourself. This is what I use. A home made adapter to fit an old Howe Racing magnetic gauge to whatever wheels I'm aligning.
DSC04774.JPG
With the adapter I can use a digital angle finder or even a cell phone too. I'm kind of used to my gauge so that is what I usually use. Any of the bubble gauges will give satisfactory results.

YOU DO NOT EVEN need a caster/ camber gauge..............Look at the post by grimreaper above You need a gauge (which you can buy nowadays) which will give you degrees tilt IE degrees off level. Make a bracket to accurately fit the wheels and figure out how to calibrate it level, not hard

CAMBER is read directly in degrees tilt with wheels straight ahead.

CASTER is figured mathematically by turning the wheels in (I'll have to look 20 degrees?) take a reading, turn them out 20, and take a reading

Subtract the two readings and multiply X 1.5 ---that is your CASTER

Camber caster gauges give you caster the same way.........the tool is simply a "slide rule" and does the math for you "in the gauge."

I bought one of these "angle cubes" to check the accuracy of my old Ammco caster/ camber gauge

digital angle cube at DuckDuckGo

_mg_6330-jpg.jpg

Alignments are incredibly easy to do at home. I don't have a shop, so I load the car on my trailer, and level it up with blocks

You need turning plates which can be various things including greased/ salted sheet metal plates, etc

Some means of scribing the tires and a tape for toe

And your tilt/ caster/ camber gauge for "that."

Set ride height
Jounce the car to settle
argue argue argue and get caster / camber set
set the toe
recheck everything
drive and check

Last edited:
Car pulls to the left,Jack the right torsion bar up a turn or two. Or lower the left t bar a turn or two. This of course after an alignment.

Go to any $79 shop and give them the specs that you want it'll be right up there on their screen. Don't let them put it to stock specs obviously because you're running different tires. There's a thread in here that has the different settings for drag racing street strip all that stuff. to me it's an expensive enough to have it done on the computer screen right there in front of you. Especially like if you find someone old school he'll let you just do a drag race setting on it like I did. It does get a little hairy in the corners LOL

Go to any $79 shop and give them the specs that you want it'll be right up there on their screen. Don't let them put it to stock specs obviously because you're running different tires. There's a thread in here that has the different settings for drag racing street strip all that stuff. to me it's an expensive enough to have it done on the computer screen right there in front of you. Especially like if you find someone old school he'll let you just do a drag race setting on it like I did. It does get a little hairy in the corners LOL
Years ago I had my dart done and the guy let me sit in the car raised 1 1/2 inches while he did the alignment.

-
Back