What Camshaft

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I’m getting ready to build a 408 and am trying to identify what cam to use. The block is a 91 360LA block w/ provisions for roller lifters, so I’ll likely stick to a hydraulic roller cam. Here are the specs for the engine:

408 ci (9.7:1 SCR)
Indy X/RHS heads (flow 271 cfm @.550 int, 195 cfm @.550 exh)
1.6 rockers
Carbureted (I have a Holley 750, 850, and 950 to choose from)
Edelbrock Air gap intake
727 (9.5” dynamic converter)
3.91 gears w/ 28” tire.

The car is a ‘68 Dart street car, so I don’t need anything too crazy. What would you guys go with?

My vote would be for the lunati voodoo 10200702 or 10200703. I will find a link and send it.

Here is a screenshot of the specs on both of them.

Screenshot_20190329-154544_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190611-123944_Samsung Internet.jpg

If you email that info to the various cam companies as well as stall speed and how you plan to use the carb, they will give you a recommendation from their catalog. Most of them have a form to fill out.

Those are flat tappet cams. He's looking for a hydraulic roller.
Yea I was just telling him what I'd do! Even tho it's got the provisions you can still use a flat tapert cam in it.

My preference is for a solid flat tappet, but that is because I am doing all I can to reduce the number of potential points of failure. I also have a late LA360 block which came with a hydraulic roller but I am not going that route. I suspect that since you are going with a 4" stroke, you won't be revving as high as I plan to with my 3.58" stroke. And therefore a hydraulic roller would work fine for you.

You may want to read this article;

#2---Choosing a Cam

You may want to pick your converter after you have your cam by contacting a converter company and giving them all the info on your build. They can set you up.

Lunati has a hydraulic roller (with or without a fuel pump eccentric) that comes out at 1.6 rocker ratio to be .517 lift, or just before you need to machine the guides at .520

If you email that info to the various cam companies as well as stall speed and how you plan to use the carb, they will give you a recommendation from their catalog. Most of them have a form to fill out.

I've gotten rec's from several companies. I was just asking for additional ideas.

I'll likely go with what Bullet recommended, maybe slightly shorter duration. It was 242/248, .565, 110+4.

My preference is for a solid flat tappet, but that is because I am doing all I can to reduce the number of potential points of failure. I also have a late LA360 block which came with a hydraulic roller but I am not going that route. I suspect that since you are going with a 4" stroke, you won't be revving as high as I plan to with my 3.58" stroke. And therefore a hydraulic roller would work fine for you.

You may want to read this article;

#2---Choosing a Cam

You may want to pick your converter after you have your cam by contacting a converter company and giving them all the info on your build. They can set you up.

I planned on using the converter I have. If it's not right, I'll go ahead and send it back. Or shelf it and buy a new one.

I've gotten rec's from several companies. I was just asking for additional ideas.

I'll likely go with what Bullet recommended, maybe slightly shorter duration. It was 242/248, .565, 110+4.
That is actually a good size for a street car. My previous 410 stroker motor had a small solid roller that was 248/254 0.576/.0581 lift, along with heads that flowed 293. My car ran great on the street, TONS of torque...also ran 10.7's in the 1/4 most days (best of 10.5).

If you have all 3 carbs, and mainly street, I would go with the 750 (the 950 would also be great, but better suited for a more race oriented build).

I used same block as you, went with custom Hughes hydraulic roller. Also a hot street oriented Dart. Great street manners. 10.1 compression.

I dont suggest this exact spec for you, just an idea of spec range you may wish to be in. I do suggest whatever you decide you use a custom cam tailored to your engine parameters, intended usage, elevation, etc. Not much more cost in grand scheme of things. Might try calling Mike Jones, or Jim Dowell at Racer Brown Cams.
20151223_094123.jpg

Last edited:
I'd talk to Mike Jones at www.jonescams.com .

His inverse flank roller cams are tuff to beat.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a cam for my 388. I've been serious about Crower (which was in the engine on the original build) and Howard's (who has a good 904 lifter cam for oval tracks).... but I keep going back to Mike Jones stuff. Maybe $80.00 more for his flat tappet grinds but they are ground on a gooder core (that's a technical term)and the performance is outstanding.

My kids dirt mod smokes the others off the corners... uses a FT sold Jones cam.

I used same block as you, went with custom Hughes hydraulic roller. Also a hot street oriented Dart. Great street manners. 10.1 compression.

I dont suggest this exact spec for you, just an idea of spec range you may wish to be in. I do suggest whatever you decide you use a custom cam tailored to your engine parameters, intended usage, elevation, etc. Not much more cost in grand scheme of things. Might try calling Mike Jones, or Jim Dowell at Racer Brown Cams.View attachment 1715347986

Thanks! What heads do you run? Do you use the stock hydraulic lifters/retainers?

Thanks! What heads do you run? Do you use the stock hydraulic lifters/retainers?
W2 heads, 1.6 Harland Sharp rockers. Factory spider, new factory replacement lifters made by Melling. No issues, I shift at 6300 RPM with it. Others on Fabo have used same lifters up to .585 lift. I'm told the setup is stable up to 6750 rpm, although I dont rev mine that high.

W2 heads, 1.6 Harland Sharp rockers. Factory spider, new factory replacement lifters made by Melling. No issues, I shift at 6300 RPM with it. Others on Fabo have used same lifters up to .585 lift. I'm told the setup is stable up to 6750 rpm, although I dont rev mine that high.

Thanks sir. Have you had any detonation issues with the iron heads? Have you ever gotten any cranking compression numbers?

Thanks sir. Have you had any detonation issues with the iron heads? Have you ever gotten any cranking compression numbers?
No detonation issues at all. The w2 heads are the closed chamber design. 34 degrees total timing. Big aluminum rad, 180 thermostat, Evan's Coolant.

I cant recall cranking compression numbers off hand.

See my build, W2 408 Build on Fabo

We built a engine similar to what you have going together, for a 68 Dart, same heads more compression, an old flat tappet cam, and Dynamic 9.5 convertor. the cam we use has more duration than what your looking at, but it works real good on the street, and runs 11.00s at the track on pump gas.

What Krooser said

Street Performance | Jones Cams
fill out the form
I'd ask for both HR and Solid flat tappet recommendations
there are those on the board here who have had problems with HR
but maybe not U since you have a HR block and do not need aftermarket kit
if these are roller tip rockers check with B3 on the rocker shaft alignment kit- almost mandatory

What Krooser said

Street Performance | Jones Cams
fill out the form
I'd ask for both HR and Solid flat tappet recommendations
there are those on the board here who have had problems with HR
but maybe not U since you have a HR block and do not need aftermarket kit
if these are roller tip rockers check with B3 on the rocker shaft alignment kit- almost mandatory

I've reached out to Jones and received a recommendation from them. It's pretty similar to what Bullet spec'd out.

I've reached out to Jones and received a recommendation from them. It's pretty similar to what Bullet spec'd out.
Out of curiosity, what kind of specs are being recommended to you?

I would call one of the top of the line companies......Schneider comes to mind and let them do a custom for you. Your build certainly deserves that. The cost of custom grinds now is right in line with off the shelf stuff. You have a nice build. You should let someone help you get all you can get out of it.

Out of curiosity, what kind of specs are being recommended to you?

The cam Jones recommended was a tad smaller than Bullet, at 240/245 @ .050", .557"/.558" valve lift w/ 1.6's, 110 lsa

Either way I go will be a custom grind. They ain't cheap, but it's only money.

Make sure you talk to Ken at Oregon as well. They're usually more reasonable than others, but give up nothing in quality and experience.

-
Back